Progress: over 50, obese to normal

This is a progress post. Other people's stories have inspired me, so hopefully I can give back and inspire someone else, too. Thanks, MFP!

I'm over 50, a 5'4" woman, and went from obese to normal weight in 4.5 months. I don't have a goal weight. I plan to continue the same lifestyle and see where my weight ends up. I also want to become a healthier person, not just lose weight.

Before, July 2016:
177 pounds
Overall cholesterol 290
High blood pressure 150/86
My doctor told me I was at high risk of a heart attack or stroke.

December 2016
143 pounds (normal)
Overall cholesterol 170 (normal)
BP 93/65 (normal)

Unfortunately, I didn't take a Before photo, but the two photos below show the jeans I'm wearing now (size 8/10) and the jeans I wore this summer (12/14).

lsgjyooy3th8.jpg

znmuiilzkf4o.jpg

Replies

• iris2811
    iris2811 Posts: 124 Member
    What a great job! well done you!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Nice job. Fantastic progress.
  • KhadijahOwos
    KhadijahOwos Posts: 40 Member
    Amazing! You're an inspiration!
  • belledeboskoop
    belledeboskoop Posts: 3 Member
    Brilliant! Thanks for sharing, it is encouraging for all of us.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    So amazing that your health stats went down in good way so much. Hope mine does too for the same reasons. Thank you for posting this inspiring success!
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Great job! I just turned 50 myself and have been on this journey for just over a year. Congrats on your progress! So glad to hear others our age that have success!
    Keep it up!!!
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Congrats on your success. :)
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited December 2016
    So amazing that your health stats went down in good way so much. Hope mine does too for the same reasons. Thank you for posting this inspiring success!

Everybody, thanks for your comments.

About my health stats, my doctor's warning that I could have a heart attack or a stroke really scared me. I also don't want to take pills if I can change my health myself.

I love walking so that's the exercise I chose. I joined a gym so I can exercise in bad weather.

For my food, I'm a longtime vegetarian who ate a lot of sweets, high fat cheese, and sugary Greek yogurt. I'm not a purist about sweets, but I've faced the fact that I have a medical problem. I cut out 99 percent of the food I thought would affect my cholesterol. I added oatmeal, more leafy greens, and other food I read would help. I've also read that food doesn't make that much difference with cholesterol, but in my case changing my food, losing weight, and exercising turned it around.. I'll get another blood test in the spring to see where I stand.

• smile_laughter
    smile_laughter Posts: 3,680 Member
    Hi Penn! I am so happy you posted your story. You are definitely an encouragement for me.
  • PennWalker
    edited December 2016
    Hi Penn! I am so happy you posted your story. You are definitely an encouragement for me.

Hi, smile_laughter! I couldn't figure out how to post this in short form on my newsfeed, so I shut my eyes and posted it here. You're a great encouragement to me, too. <3
  • You look great, well done!
  • grammageegee
    grammageegee Posts: 78 Member
    Impressive. Your journey seems so fast. I have been logging for over 130 days, joined a gym and go at least four and sometimes 5 days a week for an hour and in 4+ months have lost 20 lbs but have not noticed any change in the way my jeans fit. That is my measuring tool. Hoping for results like yours before July.
  • PennWalker
    Impressive. Your journey seems so fast. I have been logging for over 130 days, joined a gym and go at least four and sometimes 5 days a week for an hour and in 4+ months have lost 20 lbs but have not noticed any change in the way my jeans fit. That is my measuring tool. Hoping for results like yours before July.

Thanks. We're all different people. The important thing is we're all trying and will get there when we get there. It's all positive.

• vlnielsen519
    vlnielsen519 Posts: 75 Member
    @grammageegee if you aren't already doing it, look into into strength training. I have started and am amazed at the difference it made. There are a bunch of posts about strength training on MFP and tons of programs on the internet you can use.
  • fit4itall
    fit4itall Posts: 101 Member
    Amazing!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Well done young lady - remarkable health transformation. :flowerforyou:
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Thanks for your inspiration!
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Fantastic!! Thanks for sharing!!! :)
  • mrsbmw2
    mrsbmw2 Posts: 6 Member
    Great inspiration! Thanks for sharing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!