Does losing weight make you put ok younger or older?

Options
2»

Replies

• Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm 41. I look young for my age. When I lose weight, I tend to look a bit older due to looser skin on face/neck/arms. But my creaky knees are sure happier, I'll take it! And that skin will probably mostly fix itself once I spend a while in maintenance when I'm done losing weight.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I was never told that I looked older but quite the opposite. Worse, I have been presumed to be pregnant which felt awful.

I turned 30 this year and it feels like I've just entered my 20s (+ 2 kiddies) and I'm told I look a couple of years younger. But having more confidence in myself feels way better than what others think I look like.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,970 Member
    Options
    My mom's friend looks older after having lost weight due to her wrinkles being more prominent - but they are in their late 70s.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think most fit people tend to look younger than they are...fit people look vibrant and healthy...that's not the same thing as being "skinny" though...I think it depends if you're just skinny or overweight...I've seen skinny people who look much older than they are and overweight people who look much younger than they are and vice versa. But fit is almost always a good look.

I'm 42 and most people who don't know me think I'm in my mid 30s. I look quite different from many 42 years olds who haven't or aren't really taking care of themselves.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who will come trudging up to me and tell me I look older than i really am, so it's hard to trust what people say, and they usually always say you look younger anyway because it's the polite thing to say.

I honestly think it depends on the individual, some people (mostly over the 40's and 50's) can look much older when they lose weight and some look younger. I guess it depends where you lose the fat from and if a lot comes off of their face.
  • ksenya03
    ksenya03 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For much of my life I was frequently mistaken for being much younger than my age. When I put on substantial weight people guessed closed to my real age, or sometimes even a few years older. Now that I've taken off 30lbs, I'm starting to get guesses that are much younger than my real age again.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I'm often told i dont look old enough to have a 28 year old son...

Being slim and fit definitely contributes to me looking much younger but its to do with genes too.

Sometimes heavier people have less wrinkles as their fuller faces mask/fill them out, but then having a heavier body is extremely aging imo.
  • immixed
    immixed Posts: 8 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I was once 164 (I'm 5'3) and am now 100-105. My face did look more cherubic and youthful when I was heavier, but it was also very round and always bloated and I was always self-conscious of it. I have very prominent cheekbones and a prominent jawline now as a thin person, which some people think makes me look older for some reason.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Just throwing this out there....no it's not always accurate and can sometimes be disappointing but this is what I have to offer. (I'm 40)
    ETA: 50 pound loss between pics, 8 month difference

28j31ngqi8y5.png

^^^super fun website: how-old.net
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Heavy ppl look younger because they have more fat in their face. The firmness and plumpness of their added fat to their face makes them look youthful but once they loose the fat on their face they looks old, if they loose weight too quickly and unhealthy or perhaps have done gastric by pass then their face looks old, haggard like a shriveled up old raisin. You may look a little older when you loose weight, however some people just naturally has more fat in their face even when they are skinny, they often have big heads. Don't worry too much about it. You should try and loose weight through strength training and cardio- NOT JUST CARDIO, and drink a ton of water also use hydrating lotions or creams specifically to prevent stretch marks because I have gotten more of those since dropping 30 pounds. And eat a lot of protien to maintain muscle. This will also help reduce sagging skin.
  • fastingrabbit
    fastingrabbit Posts: 90 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The title of this thread ("Does losing weight make you put ok younger or older") has a typo. Is that something that can be changed?

("Does losing weight make you look younger or older?")
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    ?
    I haven't been overweight, but my body type looks younger when I am underweight, and older when I am fit & carrying more weight. For now. Eventually I guess underweight reads as frail.

I think I look my age, and good for my age, like a reasonably healthy example of how this age looks; but have had people show absolute shock sometimes when I tell them my age if they ask.

I do think that how people judge age is largely contextual though, not based entirely on looks, so if they've only seen me with my younger kids they tend to assume I'm younger, and if they've seen me with my college age kids they see me as around my age.

Face - wise I do better thinner, I think more prone to sagging/puffing/skin tone stuff than wrinkles, so less fat around face looks better to me.

I agree with the contextual part and also whether people dress their age or not. I have two grown sons plus a much younger boy. I was always low to mid-"normal" BMI until I hit my 40s when my third child was born. I had difficulty losing the "baby weight" like I did with the first two and edged into overweight BMI.

When I'm around the older boys people do the math and guess closer to my age. When they see my youngest with me people think I am 10 years younger than I am.

Anyhow, I'm happy to look like my youngest son's mom and not his grandma. I am worried whether my skin will snap back as easily with the next weightloss.

When I was in "overweight" BMI I looked older because I tended to wear layers, looser clothing, and longer tops to cover the midriff. When I weighed less I had a great waistline, wore body conscious clothing and could fit into Junior/teen clothing which runs smaller than Misses regular clothing styles.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    The majority of people look older heavier. Yet..some who lose a lot of weight and fast who are past 45 can show sagging skin and wrinkles in their faces. At your age of 26.. i'd say extra weight makes you look older.