Special K flatbread breakfast calories incorrect on their box!

Caution - Special K flatbread breakfasts are incorrect in MFP database AND on their box!

Yes, on their box! I noticed that the Special K bacon egg cheese flatbread was 220 calories in the MFP database. I scanned the UPC box to get the correct calorie count and it scanned at 200 calories. But the box says 180 calories.

I called Kelloggs to complain that their box UPC did not match their nutritional content. They looked into it and said that the UPC is recording it correctly at 200 calories per sandwich -- but the nutrition on the front and on side of the box are wrong. *sigh* I expected more for a major company like that. Now I can't help but wonder what other foods are incorrect on manufacturer packaging.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Not really surprised, by law they can be off by 20% anyway...
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    There's a 20% variance in the calorie count allowed by the FDA.

Honestly, as long as things don't look too odd, like a large bacon cheeseburger being logged as 10 calories, I don't worry about it. There can be calorie differences between two different apples of the same variety.

It is neat to hear MFP's database was actually the correct one.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Not sure what you're expecting here. A UPC code is just an ID number that can be scanned, and is only intended to help ID an item for checkout at store. It doesn't encode pricing, nutrition data, or anything else. Just a ID number.

MFP does use the barcodes to link to database entries, but the data for those entries are still user entered. The manufacturer has little to no input on what MFP has for that information.

Also, if a manufacturer changes an item or it's packaging, MFP doesn't get informed. This happens from time to time and MFP users can edit existing items when there is a change. Sometimes it also takes time for manufacturers to get their websites updated if there's a change. But the box should be correct with respect to it's contents, at least by law in the US.

Now, if you're certain that the contents of the box do not match the labelling on the box, take it up with the FDA.

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    A UPC barcode is just a graphic representation of a string of numbers. That string of numbers does not contain any information in and of itself. The numbers are used to search a database, which actually contains information entered by a person. A grocery store scanner searches the store's database by that number for price, distribution information, coupon information, etc.

Most likely when you gave the Kellogg's customer representative the number, the rep used that number to look up the information in the company's database. The information in their database could be different than what is printed on the packaging. This happens frequently when manufacturers as large as Kellogg's outsource the production of cereal to multiple suppliers across the country and sometimes the world. There are regional differences in ingredients and many suppliers will have differing information associated with the same product as licensed by Kellogg's.

Similarly, all of the macro- and micronutrient information associated with that barcode number was entered into the MFP Food Database by other MFP users or staff; then a user associated that UPC number with a MFP Food Database record. The UPC number can be associated with the wrong MFP Food Database record, or the MFP Food Database record could be inaccurate.

You should check the MFP nutrition information associated with that UPC number every time you scan a new barcode to enter a food item into your Food Diary; plus you should occasionally recheck that an item you have used in the past is still correct, because another user could have edited the MFP Food Database record since the last time you used it.

You can use the USDA National Nutrient Database to verify the nutrient information for many whole foods, such as meats, poultry, vegetables, fruits, dairy, nuts, herbs, spices, etc., plus some restaurant and US/Canadian food products.

For instructions on how to edit an incorrect food item in the MFP Food Database that is not Verified, or re-associate a barcode with the correct food item, please see these articles on the MFP Help/FAQ pages...

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/13980-some-food-information-in-the-database-is-inaccurate-can-i-edit-it-

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/391249-how-do-i-edit-or-change-the-item-found-by-a-barcode-scan-

In order to have MFP correct information in a Verified food item, you must send the requested changes to Customer Support on the MFP Help/FAQ pages via Or Email Us.