Christmas Day - rest day or not?

Options

Replies

• ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I second getting help with your disordered thinking. Speaking from experience if you continue to push yourself through exercise without adequate rest you are going to do more harm than good. I have a very hard time limiting my exercise and have learned the hard way and have had to take off months at a time from pushing myself too hard. Not taking rest can really screw with your hormones, sleep, and mood. Take a well needed rest day or even week!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    Saturday is usually my rest day. But I will probably rest tomorrow too. If I do anything it will be a walk with my son and the dogs. But if he doesn't want to walk I will probably skip the walk to spend time with him. Normally, I would probably advise someone to plan a nice walk or something active later in the day, but in your case I think you should just rest. It does sound like you have some disordered thinking and I would recommend finding someone to talk to about it. Good luck and Merry Christmas!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    miratps wrote: »
    So those who exercise daily/often, will you be resting on Christmas Day or will you be working out in the mornings?

I've not had a rest day in months and am considering actually sleeping past 5 for once and not moving at all but as I've not done it for months, I am also dreading it!

I don't get up at 5 AM to exercise. My light day is on Saturdays.
    I will most likely walk at least 30 minutes. If I feel like doing something more later I will. I'm not stressed about it.

• Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I normally take a complete rest day (no exercise at all) about once per week, usually on whatever day I'm most in the mood to rest, plus I have some days that are lighter exercise than others. For example if I do a 8 mile run one day, I might just walk or lightly jog a couple miles the next to have some active rest. I have been a runner for a few years and have done half marathons and just competed in a 12k race, so 8 miles isn't extreme exercising for me but is a normal weekend long run when in training mode. I will probably will exercise on Christmas because it should fit in my schedule, give me some additional calories to eat, and buffer some of the stress of being with my family (ha). I'm not training for anything right now so my exercise plan is designed for being healthy and fit in general and for maintaining enough running fitness that I could decide to train for something this spring without having to restart from ground zero.

Going for a walk or short run so I can have extra piece of pecan pie at Christmas and better cope with various family arguments about politics is one thing.... :) But constantly exercising large amounts without a rest in order to compensate for binge eating is another thing. I really think you need to reach out for help so you can try to get the eating under control and so you don't end up injuring yourself from the exercise. Google "exercise bulimia" and look for info about this condition, see if this is something you recognize in yourself.
  • fionamc74
    fionamc74 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am a distance runner, and like you used to dread taking time out. I have learnt the hard way (with various injuries and burnouts), that resting is a must for both your progression in fitness and a healthy body. We all take vacations and there will be times we just can't exercise. I always take a full week off every 12 weeks now and it has always helped my progress, usually resulting in a near pb on return. It takes more than a week to undo your hard work both cardiovascular and muscular so take a break and enjoy it. The more often you take a break the easier it is to do ☺
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My gym is closed on Christmas, so that's out, but I might go for a walk in the morning before we had out for dinner.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Did Stronglifts this morning and will get in a 5 mile walk before all the food happens! Tomorrow will be a 10 mile fun! Merry Christmas everyone.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    no
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    It's fine to take a day off. Just like one bad day of going over calories won't disrupt consistency, neither will taking a day off.
    And don't be an all or nothing person. That's usually how people fall off and stay off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I took yesterday off to finish getting things ready. I take 1-2 days off each week. I did work out today and am planning on working out tomorrow after the festivities...if our plans run late though and I miss it I'm not worried. My main goal is to enjoy my son and step daughter. It's one day
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Sunday is typically my rest day, but I took today off so I'll definitely squeeze a workout in tomorrow.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go for a long walk and do a little free weights upper body early afternoon. No sports bra required, that is almost enough for it to count as a rest day for me ;)
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    We have no family plans on Christmas Day ... all done before or after ... so I am looking forward to working on my lifting at the gym tomorrow when I hope it is dead. But nothing crazy.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    So those who exercise daily/often, will you be resting on Christmas Day or will you be working out in the mornings?

I've not had a rest day in months and am considering actually sleeping past 5 for once and not moving at all but as I've not done it for months, I am also dreading it!

No rest day in months? :#

I don't take rest days either. Gotta move every day! :) The only time I don't move at all is when I am really sick, and that level of sickness doesn't happen very often.
  • Fitgirllife72
    Fitgirllife72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Nope no rest day for me. My "rest" days this week are Tuesday and Wednesday when I will be snow skiing with my family.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I am following a marathon training plan, with two rest/cross training days each week. I rearranged my days so I could enjoy Christmas dinner with friends tomorrow and still get in my weekly long run by doing it today. Tomorrow I'll walk the dog in the morning and maybe do a second walk late afternoon or early evening, but that's it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

No, because I want to spend all my time with loved ones. :)
  • scorpcookie
    scorpcookie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Nope, no rest day. Already got one cardio session in this morning and if I don't feel too stuffed tonight, I'll do a second one before going to bed.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

When do you find time to recover and build properly.. ?

Every single person on the planet needs rest and recovery and not just for your body, but your mind too.. I might suggeest you work on this cause you are having anxiety over it hense the creation of this thread....