Maintaining

Options
Do you always continue to regularly log everything you each once you've reached your goal, or do you lapse somewhat? I'm unsure if to continue logging now that I've reached my goal.

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've learned that I suck at judging portion sizes. I will always have to weigh and log. I'm okay with that, it doesn't take up much extra time in my day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    Different people do it different ways. I personally need to keep logging most of the time for the foreseeable future, though I'm a little more slack about it than when losing.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I quit logging the first time I lost 70 pounds. I will not stop logging this time.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've stopped logging. But it took a while to get there.

Initially maintaining weight was easy enough without logging but when I wanted to lose weight (post holiday or for a cycling event) I returned to logging. Now I can lose, maintain or gain without logging. Gaining is dead easy! ;)

I just keep and eye on my weight and cut back a little if I exceed my intervention weight.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I log because I don't trust myself to stop eating since food tastes good.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged for 2+ years which included most of my weight loss journey and just recently into maintenance. I'm good at judging portions, eat in a consistent pattern, and lost every month during that time. If you want to back off, try it for a month and see how it goes. If you exceed the top end of your maintenance weight range, start logging again.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I did for a while, then logged every-other week, then stopped. I monitor my weight and how clothes fit. Too much variance and I might log again...
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for six years and I still log if I eat at home and make my own meals, but I am not very accurate anymore; sometimes I leave things out and I never close my diary. I don't log when I eat out unless the restaurant has the nutritional information on line or on MFP, and sometimes I just don't bother logging. I don't log when on vacation or while eating at a friend's house.

I am pretty good at estimating and since I am not a foodie nor I have binge problem I seem have things under control. As long as my clothes fit and the scale shows "my numbers" in a consistent way, I am happy.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I loved counting calories and tweaking numbers, I did that while losing weight and expected to just keep doing it. I logged for about nine months after I hit maintenance. Then it just felt boring and overwhelming and restricting, and I realised that it had become unnecessary. It took some adjustments, but I've been maintaining without logging (I do log in a spreadsheet, because I plan my meals, and I weigh certain foods, but I don't use the food diary anymore) for about 17 months. I started weighing myself daily when I hit goal, and that's a habit I have stuck to.

My eating habits have changed dramatically - I eat meals, I eat real food, I wait till I'm hungry, and don't eat between meals. I make exceptions, but not so often that they become rules.

I think that not logging can work well if you don't consistently overeat anyway, but if not logging will make you feel that you don't need to be mindful of portions, you should continue logging.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I have my log and no-log phases. If I feel that my weight is creeping up to the danger zone, then it's back to logging. Once this happens I get back into the rhythm and enjoy logging again. However, I use the quick calorie add excessively as I am much better at estimating calories in food.

Like above said, I too don't close my diary how I used to whilst losing. I sometimes do just out of curiosity. But whilst losing thst was a big MUST for me. Not totally sure of the benefits from closing the diary back then.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I just started maintaining a month ago and find it just as challenging and involving as losing weight was.

I was actually still losing weight when I wanted it to stop so I had to readjust my cals slightly upward to stop the drop, which was hard to do after spending 6 months just trying to lose wt.

Have been able to maintain my weight w/in a 3# range in the past month doing this and I don't think I can continue maintain my weight unless I remain vigilant by constantly logging my food and weighing myself daily.

I remember how easy it is to lapse into eating whatever I want and pack the weight back on in short order. Don't want to do that again and if it means that I always have to log my meals, so be it.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I log everything all the time and have for 5 years. That said, I'm not as fussy as I was when I was losing. I don't log lettuce or ketchup on hamburgers. If I know what I'm logging is about right within 20 calories, that's good enough. I don't weigh or measure very often - just enough to make sure my judgement hasn't drifted.

I am MORE fussy about making sure I exercise. I need to or my weight creeps up. And if I'm drifting up a pound or two, strict logging will get me back down. It's not exciting - it's like washing my face or brushing my teeth. But it's been very successful.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I kept on logging at maintenance with the hope that one day I wouldn't need to... had a few times in the first few years when I stopped logging, gained about 5lbs and had to get back to logging again as I didn't trust or have confidence in my ability to go it alone. Thankfully I was able eventually to just stop logging altogether, its been a year or more since I last logged my meals. I really got fed up logging but I have to say if I wasn't able to maintain my weight as easily as I do now I would go back to it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    MrsJ1210 wrote: »
    Do you always continue to regularly log everything you each once you've reached your goal, or do you lapse somewhat? I'm unsure if to continue logging now that I've reached my goal.

This depends on you...I haven't logged anything in over 3.5 years. That doesn't mean I'm lax in my approach...I eat a very healthy diet for the most part and exercise regularly...I do the things that lean, healthy, and fit people do. I don't need to log because my overall lifestyle takes care of things for me.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I quit logging the first time I lost 70 pounds. I will not stop logging this time.

Same with me. Less weight loss, but end up regaining it slowly. This time I figured, it only takes me few minutes daily - I will just continue tracking
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Logging every bite has become such a habit, I plan on continuing to do so. Plus, I think for me, it would be too easy to lapse back into ' oh...it's just one bite' kind of thinking.
  • BlessedBeyondMsr
    BlessedBeyondMsr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi...I met my goal weight several months ago and I would like to continue on MFP and try a maintenance program. Can anyone recommend a group for maintainer's? Even though I'm at my goal weight, I still would like to lose some remaining body fat and gain lean muscle. TIA and Happy New Year!
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    MrsJ1210 wrote: »

I stopped logging food after entering maintenance weight range. That saved some significant time, but I did not consider it a lapse, since I still log weight carefully. The first 6 months of logging food, taught me the caloric and other effects of my diet so now I only estimate the effect on maintenance weight.

I do log weight every day and maintain a 3#, 2percent range. The daily reminder guides my daily food choices. Usually it decides whether I have extra carbs in dinner.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi...I met my goal weight several months ago and I would like to continue on MFP and try a maintenance program. Can anyone recommend a group for maintainer's? Even though I'm at my goal weight, I still would like to lose some remaining body fat and gain lean muscle. TIA and Happy New Year!
    @BlessedBeyondMsr
    Not a group but have you found the recomp thread in this forum?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Full of people doing exactly what you are aiming to do. "I still would like to lose some remaining body fat and gain lean muscle."