Fitness Tracker wrist band? Heart rate monitor. need input

Options
I really want a Fitness tracker/Heart Rate Monitor. I'm tired of guessing howmany calories I'm burning. Today I'm working overtime (a 16.5 hour work day) and I still don't know how to account for that. I have had my activity level set to lightly active because I am on my feet for a few hours at work at least, and at home I clean up after my furbabies and the house. I only log intentional workouts or significant increase in activity, but I don't feel like it's accurate enough. I've been eyeing the Amiigo fitness band which has a built in heart monitor, but I'm not sure when it gets released or how much it will cost. I don't want a bulky watch looking one. I want one I can wear all the time. Anyone have any advice based on experience or other knowledge?

Replies

• getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I use the BodyMedia Fit armband and I really like it. You do have to pay a monthly subscription for the armband and data (its only like $4). The set up of BodyMedia is really user friendly and it has allowed me to lose 4 pounds in just 2 weeks!
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have been using my Polar HRM to track workouts and it's great. But you are right that it would no track your "normal" activities outside your workout sessions. When I am out and about a lot like when I was travelling, would be nice to know how many cals I have burnt (so I can eat!!). HRM is great because you do get to know how intensive your workout is. From what I have read so far, wristbands don't do that well - some even call them glorified pedometers which of course you can get for a far lower price or just as an app on your phone.

When I did my research a year ago, some people opted for investing in 2 products: a wrist band for daily activities, and a more hardcore HRM when exercising. New products have been out since and I will share my research with you if I come up with anything interesting. Need to replace/upgrade my Polar!
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar FT4 HRM
  • kellzi89
    kellzi89 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have been looking a get a HRM. But I ended up so confused!!
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    why?? you confused
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    id look in maybe a fitbit ive heard there ok but not sure how accurate
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have been looking a get a HRM. But I ended up so confused!!

you should still get one

you get to input your

weight
    height

having one is waayy more accurate than not having one
  • imjustpeachiekeen
    imjustpeachiekeen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT40 heart rate monitor and LOVE it. I do only wear it when I'm actually exercising/working out. I've heard great things about UP wristbands, but haven't been sure about whether or not I could stand wearing it all day....but it monitors your sleep an everything so you literally wear it 24/7
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Fitbit (clip) or Fitbit Flex (the wristband), Nike FuelBand, Jawbone Up, Withings Pulse, Weight Watchers Active Link. These are all daily activity monitors that basically track all of your movement. SOme of them track only your steps. Some of them track how many flights of stairs you go up as well as your sleep. The Withings Pulse will take your pulse on demand if you want it to. None of them are Heart Rate Monitors.

The Polars and other heart rate monitors aren't meant for all day use. They are only meant for when you are actually working out and your heart rate is elevated.

I personally use a fitbit to track my daily activity (I mainly care about how many steps I walk in a day) and a Polar HRM for spin classes and workout sessions. I keep track of them separately.

All of the above activity monitors are pretty accurate.

Hope this helps.
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I think the Amiigo is also meant more for use during actual workouts. I don't think it is meant for all day wearing. I could be wrong though. Not very familiar with it.

you also want to look at which devices connect to MFP or other sites that you may use. If that's important to you. Fitbit has pretty good integration with MFP.
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    i am the same as you. I use my fitbit all day and then when i do workouts I take off the fitbit and use the HRM. I neve wear both. Its doubling up. But I generally dont wear my HRM when running or walking so that doesnt get in the way either.

They are 2 different kinds of devices and should be treated that way.
  • amraf1024
    amraf1024 Posts: 74
    Options
    bump for more input
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Zephyr HRM for over a year for exercise only, love the results. App Sports Track Live works great with it, uploads all my exercise to a website viewable page to track monthly stats, it helps to motivate myself to exercise to beat what I did previously.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I just got my fitbit one and i wear it all day. No monthly payments for using it which is nice. Now, in terms of accuracy - i don't know. I have only been using it for 4 days now. I hear a lot of individuals like it, but I have not heard too many "success stories" from people who use the fitbit.

Like others have mentioned, I use the fitbit one and a HRM while working out. This calculates an estimated TDEE for me. Fitbit also syncs with MFP so it will calculate your food intake for you too to create a goal/deficit for you on a daily basis.
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I just got my fitbit one and i wear it all day. No monthly payments for using it which is nice. Now, in terms of accuracy - i don't know. I have only been using it for 4 days now. I hear a lot of individuals like it, but I have not heard too many "success stories" from people who use the fitbit.

Like others have mentioned, I use the fitbit one and a HRM while working out. This calculates an estimated TDEE for me. Fitbit also syncs with MFP so it will calculate your food intake for you too to create a goal/deficit for you on a daily basis.

a hammer is only as good as the person who wields it.

also on mixing, I only use fitbit for fitbit stuff. I do measurements, food tracking and exercise tracking on MFP.

Good luck! you have a great combo there.
  • scott1dog
    Options
    Amiigo appears to be exactly what you are looking for. Unfortunately they are delayed in release, but it appears any day now.....