How disappointing...I went on like a three-month streak, then...

Options
I exercised almost everyday, or at least 5 days a week for three-months straight, August to October! And then November came, exams came ( college student ), and Thanksgiving plans came, which aren't really good enough excuses for entirely skipping working out...but I totally worked out for just two days in November! And December came, and up til now, Christmas Eve, I've only worked out for ONE day. Any advice on how I can get back on track and STAY motivated this time, instead of being like I was and going on a streak again, full of passion and ambition, and then all of a sudden STOP like I did. I see it as one of my bad habits. I get hyped about something, work on it consistently, then I lose interest.

Thanks for your advice...

Replies

• rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I would find 5-7 days a week of workouts too much. I stick to 3-4 gym days a week. Daily weigh ins, focus on the long term goal, and a doable work out schedule have kept me on track. The results that come with it kept me going as well.

Good luck, you can do this :)
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Every day is a new opportunity for a re-start. Don't get hung up on lapses, just get back in there. The upcoming New Year and college semester is as good as a time to do it as any, and there's often a lot of new programs, classes, etc. that start up just for that reason.

If you're constantly picking up and dropping exercise, consider making your workouts a seasonal or monthly thing. Don't do the same workout day in day out, week after week. October is hiking month, November is hitting the weight room, December is yoga class, January the lap pool...whatever. If you get bored, that's a sign that you either haven't found your thing, or that your thing just has to be a lot of different things to keep it interesting.

You may not reach a lot of high goals with jumping from activity to activity. For example, you may not train for running long enough to get to the level of a half marathon or get your black belt in karate. However, if you get fit, that's the point for you.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Agree with @rickc74 , too much exercise will tire you fast.

The best way to stay on track is not to look for reasons that may lead you astray. Or, in other words, after finding two really good reasons why today a scheduled workout is not possible, the rest of the year will be lost.

So step 1 is: Create a realistic workout-plan (2 - 4 workouts should suffice). Nothing demotivates faster that not being able to match your own standards.

Step 2: Don't, under no circumstances, not even if hell freezes over, skip a workout. If, for what reason ever, a workout is not possible at the scheduled time move it to a fixed date (within 24 hrs!) where it is possible.

Step 3: Stop looking for excuses. "Had not time for" actually means "Didn't want to", which is Okay, just don't lie to yourself.

Step 4: Create little and big goals that keep you motivated (e.g. Until Jan. 31st I want to be able to perform xxx units of YYYY in less than zzz seconds).

Step 5: Make sure to have the next goals already waiting once one is achieved
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I only work out three times a week at the gym.

If you drive then park as far away from the front door, park at the back of the parking lot. then you can get in a good decent walk before and after class
  • longarmlou
    longarmlou Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP, I felt bad because I didn’t even have a gym membership; I still don't. Then someone wrote that we should find something that we enjoy and do that because we are more likely to stick to it. Others agreed. I live in a beautiful area and I chose hiking. I can stick with it and enjoy it. On days when I can not hike, I really miss it! Find something, anything that you enjoy and do that…..or move into my neighborhood and go hiking with me.