Restricting vs binging

Options
It seems like I am very good at being very restrictive of what I eat (1200 calorie goal), or I can't stop eating. For the past 2 weeks I just want to eat and I feel out of control, and I have gained weight and am now freaking out. Has anyone else experienced this type of mentality? How do you overcome it?

Replies

• Rawr619
    Rawr619 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Maybe 1200 is far too few calories for you and causes you to binge? What are your stats (age, height, sex, current weight, goal weight)?

Without fail, if I restrict too much, I end up binging.

5'5 138-142 lbs, female, 25. Goal weight 115.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Also might want to adjust your expectations, 115 lbs for someone 5'5" tall is borderline underweight. It's possible but you likely won't feel good at that low of a weight unless you have a naturally very slim frame.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Maybe 1200 is far too few calories for you and causes you to binge? What are your stats (age, height, sex, current weight, goal weight)?

Without fail, if I restrict too much, I end up binging.
    Rawr619 wrote: »
    5'5 138-142 lbs, female, 25. Goal weight 115.

With only @ 25 pounds to lose, set your weekly weight loss goal to a half pound per week. Like many posters here, you are likely trying to lose too much too fast, which does often lead to binging.

Also, assuming you exercise, what percentage of the calories you earn from exercise are you eating back?

MFP uses the NEAT method, and as such the system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back.

My FitBit One is far less generous with calories than the MFP database and I comfortably eat 100% of the calories I earn from it back.
  • Rawr619
    Options
    I started rock climbing last year and have gotten really into it, climbing 2 or 3 days a week. I am working towards goals of becoming a better climber. I know 115 is borderline for 5'5 but the heavier I weigh the harder it is to climb. I will reevaluate when I get to 130, 120, 120, etc. to see how I feel and the gains I'm making on the rocks.

I feel myfitnesspal really overestimates calories burned while rock climbing, and it's hard to determine how many because I typically am climbing for 3 hours, but I will climb a route, then wait 2 minutes, climb then wait again. So I have been eating back around 100 calories from climbing.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It seems like I am very good at being very restrictive of what I eat (1200 calorie goal), or I can't stop eating. For the past 2 weeks I just want to eat and I feel out of control, and I have gained weight and am now freaking out. Has anyone else experienced this type of mentality? How do you overcome it?

-Do you track your calories on the days you don't stick to your calorie goal?

-Do you have a plan for what you are going to eat for the day but then go off the rails, or are you just picking as you go along?

-Has uncontrolled overeating been an issue in the past even when you weren't actively trying to stick to a specific calorie goal?
  • Rawr619
    Options
    ModernRock wrote: »

-Do you track your calories on the days you don't stick to your calorie goal?

-Do you have a plan for what you are going to eat for the day but then go off the rails, or are you just picking as you go along?

-Has uncontrolled overeating been an issue in the past even when you weren't actively trying to stick to a specific calorie goal?

On the days I don't stick to my calorie goal I don't track. I pick what I'm going to eat as the day goes. And no uncontrolled overeating has not been an issue in the past.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I would suggest tracking....At least estimating....your overeating. It might help put it into perspective, and even be a step towards gaining control of it. Second, I'd suggest being more proactive about pre-planning your meals. For one, it helps avoid turning to high calorie convenience foods because you don't know what else to eat. For two, it assures you that you do have a plan to eat something. (Some people even prelog their days.)