What are push ups good for?

Options
Fatvaporizer
Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
edited December 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, I'm thinking about incorporating push ups into my exercise routine ( which mainly consists of cardio and strength training (at the gym). I was wondering what the benefits of push ups are? Does it cause you to be muscular and 'bulky?' or does it tone out the body? Does it help in reducing fat or is it just to build muscle? I pretty much don't have any idea what push ups do. While on the topic, what do sit ups/crunches do too? Thanks!

Not to offend anyone but do push ups make your chest larger? I mean, for someone who wants to go for a 'slim and toned look,' instead of muscular, would push ups be right to do? Thanks.

Replies

• Fatvaporizer
    Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    And also, how many push ups per day is a 'good' enough amount to see results ?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    No offense, but since you don't know the basics of strength training, i suggest following a professionally designed program, because self-designed programs are usually imbalanced. Either hire a good trainer, or follow a proven program (Stronglifts, NROL, etc).

Regardless of the program, fat loss requires a slight calorie deficit, muscle gain requires a slight calorie surplus. :+1:
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    What are push-ups good for? Instantly making me cranky! ;-)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    No offense, but since you don't know the basics of strength training, i suggest following a professionally designed program, because self-designed programs are usually imbalanced. Either hire a good trainer, or follow a proven program (Stronglifts, NROL, etc).

Regardless of the program, fat loss requires a slight calorie deficit, muscle gain requires a slight calorie surplus. :+1:

Thank you.

They are primarily a pec dominant exercise. But they include the triceps, deltoids and even abit of the lats as stabilizers. Fat loss is from a deficit. Nothing else. You could run 15miles a day and still gain fat. Id suggest looking into the basics of fat loss and muscle gain
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Surprised that no one mentions that pu also work the core. If you need more challenge, do feet elevated or single arm, or both.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Surprised that no one mentions that pu also work the core. If you need more challenge, do feet elevated or single arm, or both.

Yep. Push-ups are a staple in my routine. I do mostly Bodyweight exercises, and they are invaluable.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

I agree with this too. Basics of maintaining proper form and training will help quite a bit. PUs can, if not done correctly can cause a bit of grief with the shoulders.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    And also, how many push ups per day is a 'good' enough amount to see results ?

How many pushups you choose to do depends on your personal goals and objectives. There's no single answer that "right" for everyone.

However, there is a Killustrated Chart that rates the ability of men and women by age in terms of the number of standard straight plank pushups (from the toes, not the knees) that can be performed in one set.

Click the link for "Muscle Endurance Standards" that you can find here:

http://lonkilgore.com/freebies/freebies.html

The standards for men are much higher than for women.

I'm a 66 yr old man and can do 25 plank pushups in a row, which puts me in the "Intermediate class for men my age but that would be considered " Untrained" for men under 40. A woman over 60, who can do as many pushups, would be considered "Advanced" but an "Intermediate" if under 40. An untrained woman under 40 eould only be expected to do 4.

In any event, you can use this chart as a gauge of how many pushups you "should" be able to oerform based on your sex, age and fitness objective.

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    extending Missionary position capability