Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Is running new for you?
  • rikkejanell2014
    rikkejanell2014 Posts: 312 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Is running new for you?

Yes. I can jog for short sprints. Very new.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Shin splints, basically your muscle is pulling away from your bones which causes pain. Best remedy I've found is calf compression sleeves. They work wonders.
  • rikkejanell2014
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Shin splints, basically your muscle is pulling away from your bones which causes pain. Best remedy I've found is calf compression sleeves. They work wonders.

Should i push through the pain?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    You don't enjoy it from your other thread, then why do it.
  • AJ_G

No, I just said you should get calf compression sleeves lol.
  • rikkejanell2014

Whats funny?
  • AJ_G

Whats funny?

Nothing
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    You are probably doing too much too soon. You might also need new shoes or do some exercises to strengthen the muscle (like flexing you feet with your toes up, weight on heels). Look up the couch 2 5k program, it teaches you how to run from scratch. Speed work should not be done at this point.
  • rikkejanell2014

Whats funny?

Nothing

Ok
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 263 Member
    Mine hurt when i first started running too. I bought compression sleeves for my lower legs and they helped a great deal. After a short time my shins started to acclimate and i didnt need the running sleeves any longer. Good luck and dont give up. You got this.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited December 2016
    For many it's because their fore-feet slap the ground, and that is just indicating what is happening.

When running your muscle that holds your fore-foot up is under tension, contracted, almost fully.

When you land hard heel first, your fore-foot is forced down brief and fast by the weight of that landing - your muscle was just stretched out to some degree while it was under contraction.

That's called eccentric movement - with probably a whole lot more weight than that muscle is used to, since it normally just lifts your forefoot weight.
    Eccentric in lifting, well even running down a hill, causes the most damage to a muscle, requiring the most repair.

Here's a demo of an exercise actually showing what is occurring. (this is not meant for you to do, but once healed may help strengthen it more).

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/TibialisAnterior/SLLyingReverseCalfPress.html

If this is indeed your reason (and you can usually hear foot slap to some degree, not always, but usually), you need to land not so far back on heel.
    Land almost flat footed, which will cause the slowdown others have mentioned, automatically.

But just like a heavy lifting workout requires recovery time to repair - that's what you need now no matter the reason.
  • UltraTacks
    UltraTacks Posts: 230 Member
    Jogging/running is hard on the legs and knees. After a while the pain should improve but doesn't always. Some people just can't run/jog. If after a few weeks it doesn't get better I would find a low impact alternative.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Try c25k and make sure you're stretching properly
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Also I suggest getting a gait analysis done, I always used to get a lot of pain when I tried to run. Then I had a gait analysis done, turns out I over-pronate, got some Brooks and I cannot tell you the difference, literally overnight!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Because you've gone from a standing start to exercising "every day" in a month, you're overweight untrained and not following a decent progression plan

Download any of the couch to 5k apps or zombies run or similar if you want to be able to run

Get properly fitted shoes and warm up
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    I struggled with shin splints a lot before I realized running is an art form AND that even a slow start with a C25K program isn't always slow enough. I spent a lot of time reading up a shin splints, prevention, and treatment. Certain stretches before and after can help, as well as making sure your gait is correct. I went very slow (30secs slow jogging- NOT sprinting- 60secs walking at first), and gradually built up.

As for pushing through, well, yes and no. I will ice my shins if I develop shin splints and I may still go for a run, but I will go slower and maybe shorter, and be sure I do lots of the stretches that help (this is the only time I advocate stretching before exercising, although usually I have walked my dogs and been moving about before I run, so my muscles aren't stone cold).

Google is your friend and there is lots of great info out there about shin splints.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Google "shin splints" and read about this condition. Don't just keep doing what you are doing and push through pain--pain indicates an injury that you need to address.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited December 2016
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Because you've gone from a standing start to exercising "every day" in a month, you're overweight untrained and not following a decent progression plan

Download any of the couch to 5k apps or zombies run or similar if you want to be able to run

Get properly fitted shoes and warm up

This is your answer.

Good luck.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Don't sprint, run SLOW and take smaller strides. I agree with doing C25K app.