WTheck; Who said RUN outside!!!! Horrible..... :(

Options
13»

Replies

• notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, I could barely run at 4.0MPH for 2 minutes before getting winded. My legs were sore as heck in the beginning, but the more you do it, the easier it gets.
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    Wow....Thanks everyone! You guys have been MUCH nicer than in my other question post! Ufff...Anyways, I did go on a short walk/jog today during my lunch at work and the little bit I ran it felt good and NOT as terrible as yesterday! I am getting all this info you all are giving me and memorizing it... :)

Thanks a ton!
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone:

So yesterday I received wonderful advice about doing a 5k in two months. Well a lot of people recommended that should start running lil by lil outside to get used to being out running. WOW!!!! That was the most excruciating pain. I felt like I was hunched over. The running and walking was painful. The running part was Terrible, I felt like that was my 1st time running in MY life! :(

Is it always going to be like this? Today I woke up feeling like day 1 of working out, terribly sore and feeling like my knees and front of my legs were killing me!

Suggestions?

Thanks.

It will get better. Running on a treadmill is easy compared to running even on flat ground. Part of the reason is because ground isn't perfectly flat like a treadmill you have to work all your stabilizer muscles to keep yourself upright, for them... this IS day one again. You can do this though, you'll get through it, stick to it... and make sure you stay hydrated!
  • jensenta3
    jensenta3 Posts: 179
    Options
    I promise it will get better. Just like with anything else, dedication and persistance is the key! You will actually come to LOVE running outside and your new name for the treadmill will be the DREADmill! Stick with it, push through the pain - but don't over do it. You will thank yourself in the long run!
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Once you get use to running outside you will perfer it. The treadmill propels your forward so it's easier. Outside you have to move yourself forward. I started on the treadmill and once I was running a mile on the TM, I decided to give it a shot outside and I almost died! I think I only made it about a half a mile and had to walk back home.

I kept at it and it's so much better now. I actually attempted to use the treadmill on Mnday and my run was AWFUL because I am so use to running outside now.

Give it time, take it slow, Pace yourself, and take a few days off inbetween runs if you need to.
  • minimeggy
    minimeggy Posts: 1
    Options
    It def gets better! Trust me. i was in the same boat. I used to run on the treadmill a lot and then decided to start running outside and man oh man was that a pain in my butt.. but it got easier. However, dont make the mistake i made. I started out running 3 miles. Then after only a week of that i felt like i could bump it up so i did...to 8 miles! I wanted to be Wonder Woman...my knees hurt soooo bad. Then i decided that i would take advil for the pain which resulted in an ulcer and just set me back all together. I would have been much better off only increasing by small amounts.
    Good luck!
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It will get better, honest. Try slowing your pace and try to run on softer ground, grass is better if you can. I started C25k and I certainly wasn't a runner, this week i managed to run two lots of 8 minutes in the heat and I loved it, I struggled running 1 1/2 minutes when I first started. Also check your shoes and how you land your feet, its better if you can land on the middle of your foot. Keep going don't loose faith you can do it, I'm on week 5 day 2 and i ran a mile in one of the 8 minute runs. So keep going.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    That's actually an normal feeling. When I was training C25k on a treadmill and then moved outside in the spring, it was essentially like I had to start over because my gait and the impact was so different.

It gets better...
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    And another thing you all keep telling me that I really need to take in consideration is to be patient. Bc that I don't have yet I need to be. I can't expect to be a runner overnight!
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Had a couple more thoughts on running/walking outdoors that I thought might be helpful.

1)Bug Spray- i'm a mosquito magnet and we have been having hot, humid, muggy, nasty, wet weather for way too long, so the bugs have been crazy (even bought mosquito repellent for the dogs so they could go out and do their business in peace without becoming little mosquito buffets). Anyway, I decided to use the repellent one day for a walk outside and it not only got the mosquitos to go away, but those little black gnats/flies that come after you when you've been outside disappeared too. After that, I decided to use the bug spray every time I went outside to workout. To date, I haven't hit myself one time in the face (yeah it happened multiple times, go ahead and laugh) trying to get rid of the bugs, so I wouldn't eat them.

2)Exercising in the rain - like I said, it's been raining around here...normally, I try to work around it doing stuff inside (or well, using it as an excuse to not workout at all). One day, a week or two ago, it was drizzling (no thunder or lightening) and I was out in my garage with the door open. The temperature felt so good (it wasn't hot and the air didn't feel thick), I decided to go for a walk...that turned into a walk/run. Apart from my feet/shoes getting soaked - that was one of the more pleasant exercise days I've had, and I look forward to being able to do it again. Bottomline, if the air quality bothers you, but you want to try working out outside, try it in the rain...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone:

So yesterday I received wonderful advice about doing a 5k in two months. Well a lot of people recommended that should start running lil by lil outside to get used to being out running. WOW!!!! That was the most excruciating pain. I felt like I was hunched over. The running and walking was painful. The running part was Terrible, I felt like that was my 1st time running in MY life! :(

Is it always going to be like this? Today I woke up feeling like day 1 of working out, terribly sore and feeling like my knees and front of my legs were killing me!

Suggestions?

Thanks.

This is exactly why people told you to run outside. You have to actually deal with the same elements...wind, changes in temp, elevation changes, uneven surfaces, etc as you would during a real race. Training on a treadmill is akin to training with a machine for weight lifting...squatting on a machine is 100% different than squatting free.

Yup! I trained for my first 5K almost exclusively on the dreadmill and by the 3rd km had excruciating shin splints. Unless the race is going to be on a treadmill you need to do at least part of your running outside to allow your body to acclimate to the differences.

Slow down a bit but keep at it, it does get better.

I trained almost exclusively on the treadmill for every 5K I ever ran, and was always faster on race day no matter how hard I tried on the treadmill. Always 23-24 min on the treadmill, and averaged 20:30-21:15 outside.

I guess I'm a special snowflake.