Christmas

How long should I wait to weigh myself after Christmas.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Weigh in the morning for the giggles, I am :)
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,371 Member
    edited December 2016
    How much extra did you eat and drink?

A lot? Any gains will likely be fluid retention. Give yourself a few days to a week.

There are no rules, weigh yourself when you like. If a fluid retention gain is going to send you off the rails, refer above.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    How much value do you place on the number on the scale. I weigh myself every day (except when traveling) and Boxing Day will be no different. Any increase will just be water weight + food weight. I didn't eat enough in a single day to gain any significant amount of fat.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I weigh myself daily. After a time the fluctuations ceased to bother me. If you aren't used to it, wait at least 40 days and 40 nights. It's in the bible....
  • wayne2017
    wayne2017 Posts: 26 Member
    So I just jumped on the scales and I was 6pound down.... so confused
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,519 Member
    I'm waiting until I get home where my scale is located. :)
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Hi, it dosent really matter, if you have eaten a lot over the holidays and put on a few kilos, it is not fat....not yet anyway.
    Your body stores the carbs you hav eaten as Glycogen. Glycogen will hold on to about 4 times its mass in water, to enable the muscles to change the glycogen into enrgy.
    As soon as you go back to a deficit nutrition your body uses the stored glycogen to make up for the deficit and you shed the water again.
    You will not put on Fat (or Lose) fat in the short term.
    Short term gains or losses are all down to Retainnig and shedding Water (mainly in the muscles)

If you however keep on eating too much and don't train enough, your body will turn the stored Glycogen into fat and put in on your hips & but.....then you have a problem

So if you have had a good feed this christmas...don't wait too long to get back on track.

• dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    I weigh myself daily. After a time the fluctuations ceased to bother me. If you aren't used to it, wait at least 40 days and 40 nights. It's in the bible....

Depending on the amount of muscle mass you have...fluctuations in Bodyweight can range from a few ounces up to 4 Kg daily.

A monthly weigh in will give you a much better control of your progress.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,147 Member
    dfc4 wrote: »

Depending on the amount of muscle mass you have...fluctuations in Bodyweight can range from a few ounces up to 4 Kg daily.

How does weighing in monthly better control progress?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member

I would rather use a tracking app to graph my weight daily, taken at a similar time each day (I weigh in the morning, after going to the toilet before I've eaten/drunk) - it gives a better idea of long term progression despite fluctuations IMO

Weighing once a month wouldn't give me a good idea of my progress - you may have weighed on a "light day" one month, and a "heavy day" the next...
  • healthybearey
    healthybearey Posts: 140 Member
    I'll weigh myself in two weeks :D Gives me an opportunity to make up for any gains over Christmas - no big deal!
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Im not going to weigh myself until the Wednesday after tge new year...I sooo sabotaged my way of eating these last 2 days
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member

Control of my progress? I lost 50 lbs in seven months. Over three years ago. And have been maintaining happily since. I like weighing in daily. The fluctuations don't panic me because I've watched them for oh.... Well over 1000 days ;). I know when the scales will be up, and if it is up, I can usually pinpoint why (salt, carbs, change in exercise, TOM, etc). Being at maintenance I have a window where I know I'm good to go. If I go above my upper limit, I know I need to take a look at my diet (I don't log anymore, but it is a tool I will utilize if need be).

I could do a whole lot of damage in a month if I didn't weigh myself. I'm fairly tall, so I can pack on a good 15-20 lbs before my clothes fit different. I'd rather weigh daily so if my numbers start creeping to high I can nip it in the bud before I'm facing having to lose so much.

But hey, you do you! If a monthly weigh in works better for you, that's great. I'll stick to daily :)
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    160 on Christmas morning. 160 on Boxing Day morning.
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    Don't weigh yourself until after the New Year. Why ruin a good time?...lol
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Wait till just before next Thanksgiving then peek.