Resting Heart Rate: Do I Need to Be Concerned?

Options
Good morning all. I am in a little bit of a hypochondriac mode right now so I thought I'd put this out there.

I started MFP in September with about 12 lbs to lose. I ended up losing 16 lbs. I also started C25K and completed it. Prior to that, I was VERY sedentary for about a year or more. I am a 52 year old female. Most of my C25K was done outdoors without a heart rate monitor so I have no idea what I started out with. But historically, whenever I would get on my treadmill and use the chest strap heart monitor, I seemed to always start out in the mid to upper 70s. Now I realize that wasn't true "resting" but it was a baseline for when I'm just moving around the house.

So, the last 2 weeks of C25K, the weather was horrible and I had to complete my last 2 runs on the treadmill. When I jumped on I was shocked to see that I was in the mid to upper 60s to start. Wow, I thought. I know that's a good thing but I thought it a little low for just having gotten home from work, cooked dinner, cleaned up.

Then for Christmas, I got a Garmin Forerunner 35. I went out for a short run yesterday. Started in the 60s again and during the end of my run was up to about 143 bpms. That all seemed normal. In an effort to learn how to use the watch, I've been wearing it around the house. My resting heart rate is in the 50s. It has freaked me out. My husband, who is a triathlete, is having heart rates a little above mine.

I'm not sure why I'm freaked out, but I am. Should I be?

I do have a physical scheduled with my doctor in late January so I will discuss of course, but I'm feeling like I'm abnormal. What do you think?

Christine

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would not freak out about that.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Not a doctor , but that seems normal to me.
  • TrailRunn3r82
    TrailRunn3r82 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor (but I play one on the internet) but I don't see any numbers that should be concerning. Some people have low resting heart rates. Some have high. I know an athlete that has a crazy high BPM rate when working out (way over 200bpm+) yet he is clinically healthy. Keep us posted on what the doc says.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Mine runs in the 40's and I have no heart problems. When I was in the hospital for surgery the monitors didn't like my HR though, the alarms kept going off because it was low with me just laying there hanging out.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why I'm freaked out, but I am. Should I be?

No you shouldn't be freaked out.
    Older than you and my RHR is 48 - 50. Not dead yet.

Lots of variation in people's RHR not just from being fit but also simply their genetics.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have no clue, mine is 62 according to my charge2, and I'm just sitting here on the computer drinking coffee. I'm 65
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I think low pulse/heart rate can be associated with hypothyroidism and some other conditions.. But it may just be normal! Definitely not something to stress over, but worth talking to the Dr about.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the quick and reassuring responses! I guess my "freak out" is mainly due to what I perceive as a change in what my historical RHR was. I believe I've always been in the 70s.

As for thyroid issues, I had my thyroid gland removed over 20 years ago and have been very well regulated ever since. This year, though, I have had to drop my dosage of Synthroid due to menopause. Less estrogen, less synthetic thyroid required. I get my labs done every 6 months and had the last done in August and all was well then, but I suppose my weight loss and exercise could have change things (although when you lose weight you tend to need less, not more medication). And I guess maybe it could just be genetics. My mother who is 72 was checking hers with mine yesterday and she's running in the low 60s and sometimes 59. She exercises regularly 4 times per week and has been for years. Maybe this is just what mine will be when I'm in okay shape.

@KDarr1988, you sound like my husband! When he was in getting his colonoscopy, prior to the procedure, they were all marveling at his HR of 45 bpm.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    Fit people have low resting heart rates. When I lost weight the last time, and got much more active mine was in the mid 40s. Now it is in the high 50s low 60s. Unless you are having actual symptoms you are really worrying for no reason.
  • CMNVA
    Options
    Thank you again. No symptoms. I feel pretty good. I just tend towards being a hypochondriac sometimes. I probably shouldn't have a fitness watch! LOL!
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm a runner and mine is in the low 40s. That's pretty common among runners. My doctor knows this (I had a 55 pulse while sitting up and chatting in her office) and was very complimentary of this development because when i was sedentary and obese it was more in the 70s/80s.

Of course heart changes can in some cases be the result of negative health conditions, so bring it up to the doctor in a routine exam if it concerns you, but in your situation it seems most likely to be the product of recent fitness gains. Basically your heart muscle has gotten strong enough to do its job without having to pump so many times per minute as it used to. That's a good thing. If this isn't a positive health development, a big indicator of that would be lots of weakness, dizziness, etc....signs that this slow heart rate isn't sufficient to supply your brain and body with enough oxygen....but if you feel good and no side effect of the low pulse then most likely your heart is fine and pumping at the rate it needs to pump to keep up with your body's needs.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    All the numbers I see are normal. Are you on any meds that change heartrate like beta blockers?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Normal my RHR is around 40-50 depending on the day.
  • CMNVA
    Options
    Again, thank you all. @markrgeary1, no I'm not on anything at all, just Synthroid for my lack of thyroid gland and it's possible it could be low although it was not in August. @Docbanana2002, I suppose I am just worried because I don't consider myself in shape yet. I mean, I only just completed C25K two weeks ago and, barely, at that. Since then I've only managed to run on my own about 4 times since then and it's been a struggle to do 30 minutes, but I have. Comparing myself to real runners is laughable. But for a person who's never been active, what I have accomplished is more than I ever have and it's kind of a big deal for me. Maybe it's enough for my body to consider itself fit.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    Again, thank you all. @markrgeary1, no I'm not on anything at all, just Synthroid for my lack of thyroid gland and it's possible it could be low although it was not in August. @Docbanana2002, I suppose I am just worried because I don't consider myself in shape yet. I mean, I only just completed C25K two weeks ago and, barely, at that. Since then I've only managed to run on my own about 4 times since then and it's been a struggle to do 30 minutes, but I have. Comparing myself to real runners is laughable. But for a person who's never been active, what I have accomplished is more than I ever have and it's kind of a big deal for me. Maybe it's enough for my body to consider itself fit.

Of course it's a huge deal! You are making progress and THAT's what matters. Keep it up and you'll amaze yourself with what you can do a year from now!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I have naturally lowish blood pressure and my heart rate is generally in the 50s too. Unless you're noticing other symptoms, in and of itself it's not a negative, and as other people have said, your resting rate will be lower the fitter you are. It doesn't matter so much how much it spikes (within reason) when you exercise but it will also lower faster the better cardiovascular shape you are in. Add to that, we just assume how accurate the monitors are. You can also take a manual rate.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Basically youre heart muscle has become stronger and can now pump more blood around your body in a minute so doesn't pump as many times which is all good. As others have said perfectly normal.