First 5k

Options
I am doing week 4 of C25K on the treadmill. I want to run a 5k sometime in March or April 2017. Just wondering how long did it take you to run your first 5k and did you run the entire way, run/walk or walk the majority of it? And after running for a while what is your time now? Thanks

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k about a month after finishing C25k. I was about 30 lbs overweight at that point. I ran the whole way and finished with a time of 39:42. Three years later I did C25k again while losing weight. My race time (30lbs lighter) was 33:XX. I actually did two races with that time that summer. I had brief walking intervals during both of those races.
  • moholley2009
    moholley2009 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! I did the C25K app and loved it. I still did a walk/run combo, but I completed my first 5k with a 14 min pace. Plus I had knee issues from not having the right support for my knees. In 2017-I definitely plan to be more active with 5k's and get some more run bling! Good Luck! Your race, your pace! You got this!
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Between repeating a few days and not running all three days every week, it took me three months to finish C25k. I finished on a Tuesday and ran my 5K that Saturday. I ran the whole thing with a time of 33:38. I'm planning another 5k in March, and my goal for that one is under 30 minutes.

ETA: If you're running C25k on a treadmill, I suggest running outside at least once before your 5k. This is just speaking from personal experience, but it feels a lot different to run outside rather than on a treadmill, and I think a treadmill is easier than pavement.
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Good for you! My first few 5Ks I did not make it through without a little bit of walking. I've been running regularly for a couple of years and now never have to walk. It is amazing how you can improve; just focus on enjoying your progress!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I second running outside before any 5k. Treadmills are easier in the sense that you do not have the resistance of the elements and you have no need to project yourself forward because the treadmill belt moves the ground for you. When I first started running, I could run 1.5mi on the treadmill easily, but struggled with even .5mi outside.

With that being said, my first 5k last year was I believe 38:12 or something with running only twice a week for about two months, so no real dedicated training. I ran with my elementary students so we walked about two or three times for a minute or so. I went on to run a half marathon six months later.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k about a month after finishing c25k. I finished in 29 something. Two months later I ran another and cut a minute off my time. About a year later I ran another and cut another minute off. I haven't run a 5k in a couple of years, but I do run longer races (half marathons and marathons). I'm still not fast, but I enjoy running races, both for the event itself and for the challenge of training for them.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I started with C25K, rehabbing after a bike accident, while I was feeling nervy about cycling, and trying to regain fitness. I've never treadmilled.

My first race was a sprint triathlon - London. So my first timed 5k was at the end of a 750m swim and a 21km bike. The run was actually 5.2km, and I did it in 31:37, and didn't walk. I'm not really a runner, more of a cyclist who jogs a bit.

I've done two 10ks, and not quite broken the hour yet, though they were hilly trail races. It might be a secondary goal next year - 10k in under an hour - but I need to consider whether I care enough about that time goal to do road rather than trail, which I prefer.

I'm not a natural, and don't have any illusions that I will ever be fast or efficient. I don't really think I want to do maras and halfs. But running fits into my lifestyle pretty well, and has not yet given me any injuries. Having goals like races will help me to remain interested, I think.

• diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I am definitely going to run outside. I've done both outside and on the treadmill in the past, but now it's just on the treadmill before or after classes at the gym. I will also have to get running shoes when I'm sure that I want to be a runner and that I really like it. I joined a running group too but haven't started yet. They go too early in the morning or in the evening when it's dark outside so I might wait til spring to run with the group.
  • Babs2Baby
    Babs2Baby Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love running outside vs the treadmill. I feel you build up a lot more endurance. If you need to run on a treadmill for like rainy day reasons or snowy day reasons, increase the incline to make it mimic a little more to running on the actual floor.
    I used to run a lot! I could do 7 miles easy but now I'm fat again, lol! It took me, if I can remember correctly, about 2 months to get to a 5k normally. Just increase little by little and what I did was when it was that last little bit when you're almost done, when you are so tired you feel sick and are pep talking yourself, try your best to sprint. Sprint those last 30-60ft home.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    A 17min 5k is the same distance as a 40min 5k.

Stop worrying about your time compared to others. Enjoy being active and set goals against yourself. Aim to do another 5k a few months after the first one and try to improve your time!

Best of luck!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    It took me 10 weeks from starting C25K (Zen Labs app) to running my first 5K without stopping.

I did it in 37:20, at my local parkrun.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think most people finish their first 5k over 30 min. I certainly did. My first was around 35 (and had to walk a bit)
    couple months later I was down to 29:40

i now focus more on building endurance for longer runs, so that means plenty of sessions with low intensity. ( or at least I try to keep it low intensity, but I often end up in zone 3 and 4) Gotta learn to slow down ...