I was doing better but relapsed

Hi, about a year and a half ago I started this whole weight loss journey. A little under a year I lost about 40 pounds and then my weight loss stopped. I struggle with binge eating disorder and about a month ago I was finally making progressive changes, however with the holidays and emotional issues plus just life getting in the way (I won't make excuses, I'm not perfect) I relapsed. Im upset because my goal was originally 125-130 pounds (im 5'5) but I'm stuck here at 140 and more important than my weight I'm worried about my health. I want to not binge anymore, I want to become more active, I want to be happy. What steps should I take to ridding myself of this disorder?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member
    Often binges happen because you've been under-eating for a while.

What is a "binge" to you?

Since you are already at a healthy weight, you should not have a large calorie deficit - no more than 250 per day. If you eat enough, the binges will be more controllable.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    emjam99 wrote: »
    Hi, about a year and a half ago I started this whole weight loss journey. A little under a year I lost about 40 pounds and then my weight loss stopped. I struggle with binge eating disorder and about a month ago I was finally making progressive changes, however with the holidays and emotional issues plus just life getting in the way (I won't make excuses, I'm not perfect) I relapsed. Im upset because my goal was originally 125-130 pounds (im 5'5) but I'm stuck here at 140 and more important than my weight I'm worried about my health. I want to not binge anymore, I want to become more active, I want to be happy. What steps should I take to ridding myself of this disorder?

What professional help have you had thus far for your binge eating disorder? I highly recommend Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
  • ashley_mulvey
    ashley_mulvey Posts: 67 Member
    Can i just add that not every solution is to see a therapist only the therapist can give her tips maybe even set goals for her that she has to do but hes her own mind that has to stop the binge eating and she has to really want to stop it or its pointless x
  • ashley_mulvey
    ashley_mulvey Posts: 67 Member
    Noone other than yourself can help you you halft to help yourself its you that has to do it its you that has to make yourself exsersize and eat healthy its you that has to quit it not anyone else because you see the therapist for an hour a week not really going to benifit from that entirely im afraid its only you that can make a change x
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    You aren't too far from goal. The last 10 pounds come off much slower now. Try not to create a really big deficit and be happy with little losses. Aim for 0.5 pound loss a week which is only 250 calories less a day below TDEE. That way you won't feel so hungry.

Aim for eating at your TDEE calorie level on your "diet breaks" instead of binging. <You won't gain weight doing that. Weight loss will go slower now, so be patient and good to yourself. You look great!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Noone other than yourself can help you you halft to help yourself its you that has to do it its you that has to make yourself exsersize and eat healthy its you that has to quit it not anyone else because you see the therapist for an hour a week not really going to benifit from that entirely im afraid its only you that can make a change x
    Can i just add that not every solution is to see a therapist only the therapist can give her tips maybe even set goals for her that she has to do but hes her own mind that has to stop the binge eating and she has to really want to stop it or its pointless x

^ No offense but you're entirely trivializing what could be a disorder that requires professional help.

You're doing the equivalent of telling a person with clinical depression to "just cheer up".

It's not that simple.

She's been roughly 140 pounds at 5'5" for nearly a year. Does that sound like a "disorder" to you?

OP, you do it by doing it. You can't eat what isn't around, so don't keep binge-worthy foods around.

By all means, pay someone else hundreds (thousands?) of dollars to tell you not to binge. Or just choose not to.
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016
    xmichaelyx wrote: »

^ No offense but you're entirely trivializing what could be a disorder that requires professional help.

You're doing the equivalent of telling a person with clinical depression to "just cheer up".

It's not that simple.

She's been roughly 140 pounds at 5'5" for nearly a year...

OP, you do it by doing it. You can't eat what isn't around, so don't keep binge-worthy foods around.

Oh, then OP knows how to do maintenance. Excellent! Yeah. This is good advice above to stay away from trigger foods and keep them out of the house.
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016

It can be very discouraging to plateau for a long time, and even more so after you work so hard to lose.

But do try to keep this whole recent "binge" ordeal in perspective and realize that a lot of people gain weight during Christmas holidays. Most of it is water weight and will drop off.
  • MinervaGoddess
    MinervaGoddess Posts: 1 Member
    I can certainly relate (I'm not perfect either...AND I have experience w/ eating disorders!) What finally worked for me was taking my focus off of the numbers altogether. I go to the gym and instead focus on how individual exercises make me feel (and no matter what you've been told, it IS possible to be slightly overweight and still be fit!) Focus on being the best YOU the you can be, no matter what the scale says! You're doing GREAT!!!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited December 2016

It's not that simple.

She's been roughly 140 pounds at 5'5" for nearly a year. Does that sound like a "disorder" to you?

By all means, pay someone else hundreds (thousands?) of dollars to tell you not to binge. Or just choose not to.

She states she has recently over the holidays relapsed with her binging and wants help before it gets out of hand.

I think someone can have a disorder in the past manage it for awhile and then fall back into that disorder. At least this is how I'm reading the OP. And if that is what she is saying I don't think its as easy as saying "stop".

ETA - OP says she has a disorder.
    9843214 Posts: 3 Member

If you hit a plateau you should "rebuff/reset" your metabolism and eat more calories than your current normal for 2-3 weeks (no deficit, maintain weight diet or slightly more) to cheat your body. After that, go for a deficit in calories again.
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member

It's not that simple.

It's not that simple.

It's not that simple.

• minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    I am shocked how unsupportive people are being. Yes, she and I could seek professional help. We are not dumb and know that's an option. The idea is that she is recognizing a pattern and asking what "you" do when strong urges come on. This is supposed to be a supportive community. It doesn't matter the op's size or history. If you don't have any advice because this is not your thing, then don't just reply, see a doctor. Maybe answer a thread that you can be helpful with.

As for my advice. I weigh 130. I revenkt gained this weight from binge eating. My comfortable weight is 115. One thing that has helped me is identify the time or times this urge comes on. Then figure out, why is it this time? For me it's at night. I'm alone and can eat away the stresses of the day without anyone knowing. Also I realized I hate being alone. Food comforts me. When I'm with my bf, I never think of it. There must be an underlying anxiety or fear driving you to seek comfort through food. Pm me if you want a friend to write to with no judgement.