Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    bagge72 wrote: »
    It really makes no sense to cut out aspartame only. If you feel like cutting out aritificial sweetners for some reason cut them all out, but don't cut out the most studied of them all because of the BS people have written about it to scare you.

I'll disagree with this. There are better sweeteners out there. I believe aspartame is banned in many countries and was banned for a while in the US until the lobbyists and big money got the ban lifted.

It's hard to know what to believe anymore because of all the conflicting information out there. I think we all do the best we can. And I think we'd all be better off with pop being a rare treat.

Fortunately science tells us it's safe, so we don't have to go around looking for conspiracy theories, and gives a clear path on what to believe.

I haven't seen any science that says it's safe. Got any sources? If not I'll look myself sometime... I can live fine without it so it's not really a huge issue for me thankfully.

Really? None? At all? Apart from the fact it's approved which requires science to be made there has been a ton of additional science done because of the "controversy" which is more like those chain emails that go around telling you your crush won't kiss you if you don't forward it. (There actually was a chainmail about aspartame btw).

One American science review: http://seriecientifica.org/sites/default/files/scl_enc_butchko.pdf

And a European one that is more recent: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.2903/j.efsa.2013.3496/full
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    It really makes no sense to cut out aspartame only. If you feel like cutting out aritificial sweetners for some reason cut them all out, but don't cut out the most studied of them all because of the BS people have written about it to scare you.

I'll disagree with this. There are better sweeteners out there. I believe aspartame is banned in many countries and was banned for a while in the US until the lobbyists and big money got the ban lifted.

It's hard to know what to believe anymore because of all the conflicting information out there. I think we all do the best we can. And I think we'd all be better off with pop being a rare treat.

I was curious about the claims that it had been banned in countries outside of the US. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true? I couldn't find anything.

I know wikipedia isn't always a great source, but I found this to be an interesting read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

I don't know... I found that it's banned in Europe in children's products. I also see how it's a "Silent Killer." How do you know what to believe? Do you believe some of the claims on the internet or the claim of a fellow MFP messageboard member who is also on the internet. Or should I believe my seemingly highly educated nutritionist who got promoted to head the whole wellness program in the US for the wellness company for which she works?

Lord knows I try to learn about stuff but I don't know what to do with all the conflicting information out there...

The first step would be choosing your sources wisely.

https://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/press/news/131210
    "In December 2013 EFSA published its first full risk assessment of aspartame. The opinion concludes that aspartame and its breakdown products are safe for general population (including infants, children and pregnant women)."

I can't find a single trustworthy source confirming the claim that it is banned in Europe and as you see above, the European food safety authority goes out of its way to tell you it's safe for them.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Wanzik - what I would believe are reliable peer reviewed studies and conclusions from reputable sources.

I wouldnt believe anyone on the internet just because they say so without links to said sources.

I gave up regular soda - just because it has too many calories to fit into my allowance. I will drink one on very rare occasion if I really want a soda and diet version not available.
    I have no qualms about drinking diet version - the cola ones are only ones I like though, the others taste too chemically to me. Pepsi max is my favourite- I drink about 2 or 3 cans a week.

I wouldnt recomend it to children - or at least in only small amounts - mainly because of the caffeine. Sugar is fine for most active children - but I wouldnt let them drink it all day because of the teeth reasons.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Wanzik - what I would believe are reliable peer reviewed studies and conclusions from reputable sources.

I wouldnt believe anyone on the internet just because they say so without links to said sources.

I gave up regular soda - just because it has too many calories to fit into my allowance. I will drink one on very rare occasion if I really want a soda and diet version not available.
    I have no qualms about drinking diet version - the cola ones are only ones I like though, the others taste too chemically to me. Pepsi max is my favourite- I drink about 2 or 3 cans a week.

I wouldnt recomend it to children - or at least in only small amounts - mainly because of the caffeine. Sugar is fine for most active children - but I wouldnt let them drink it all day because of the teeth reasons.

I use to subscribe to health magazines and just got tired of them contradicting themselves about stuff like this - even in the same issue. I'd have thought I could have trusted them. They cite sources.

I drink Coke Zero, diet Coke, Diet Pepsi, regular Coke, Regular Pepsi... just rarely. I've never really been a soda junkie thankfully. Growing up it was a rare treat. I don't believe it's a good thing health-wise to be guzzling the stuff daily regardless of how it's sweetened but it's not my business.

Like I said, I do try - so do a lot of others. Way too much B.S. out there unfortunately.

The OP just wants to stop/reduce pop intake. I think that's a good thing regardless.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Did you know that aspartame is just 2 amino acids?
    You should probably read this well written, highly educated post:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

I did not know that and will read the post.

It's definitely well worth the read. It turned my mind around. I think you will enjoy it.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Did you know that aspartame is just 2 amino acids?
    You should probably read this well written, highly educated post:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

I did not know that and will read the post.

It's definitely well worth the read. It turned my mind around. I think you will enjoy it.

Seriously one of the best threads on MFP :)
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I recommend sparkling water/seltzer, as well. I don't miss the flavor, but I love the bubbles. Add a little citrus, berries, mint, and/or cucumber and it's really very refreshing.

I haven't drank soda with any real regularity in probably close to 10 years. I will have one ever so rarely, and can usually only get through about half of it. Sooooo sweet.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    Curious why no aspartame?

Good little video on artificial sweeteners by Dr. Layne Norton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dod6bUZYz4w

• Mizzaf
    Mizzaf Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    When I gave up Diet coke, I use to get awful headaches. Fortunately it only lasted a few days. I now only drink water or make my own lemon water. Good luck with your goal, you can do it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Headaches are usually due to giving up caffeine. OP doesn't seem to be doing that.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You have my support, OP! :)

I gave up soda a few years ago. I had switched to diet, but I had strange reactions to all the fake sugar and I found myself needing it every afternoon. I don't like that feeling! Not to mention, it's expensive! My husband actually dumped soda with me. What was once always in the house is now only purchased in moderation at restaurants by my older boys. My younger kids don't even like it.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Im with you! i drink a few diet cokes a day and would love to break that habit! I'm in!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    After you quit drinking soda (regular or diet) and it has been a few months and then try a sip or two again? Yikes! For the second and final time when I quit soda 3 years ago, I tried a few sips of my son's coke and it was horrid tasting. He had a Dr. Pepper the other day and for grins, I had a sip. Again - horrid! I am SO thankful that soda has no appeal to me anymore. Now, I have to watch myself with Peach Tea! Love that stuff and it is so high in sugar! I only drink it on road trips now and then or have it in a restaurant.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I went without soda for quite a while (no reason, I just tend to drink other things), but still think Diet Coke tastes good (it's true that after I stopped drinking regular soda more than 25 years ago I find it unpleasant when I accidentally get one now). On the other hand, I HATE sweetened tea and coffee, including iced tea and coffee, so I'd hate whatever that peach tea thing is you are talking about (really enjoy unsweetened teas, though). So this just proves that people are different and you can't assume how OP will react.

Also, OP is continuing to drink drinks with artificial sweeteners, including energy drinks, so that's probably going to affect her palate in some way.
  • crzycatlady1
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    After you quit drinking soda (regular or diet) and it has been a few months and then try a sip or two again? Yikes! For the second and final time when I quit soda 3 years ago, I tried a few sips of my son's coke and it was horrid tasting. He had a Dr. Pepper the other day and for grins, I had a sip. Again - horrid! I am SO thankful that soda has no appeal to me anymore. Now, I have to watch myself with Peach Tea! Love that stuff and it is so high in sugar! I only drink it on road trips now and then or have it in a restaurant.

I've cut soda out before and then have added it back and haven't experienced this. Tasted the same to me even after not drinking it for a while :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    There's a home video of me in the hospital 2 days after giving birth, and i was having a sip of my sisters coke, I was mortified that i was caught on film drinking coke (not even diet) as i was breast feeding. The expression on my face looked like i'd just been busted doing a LINE of coke, not having a sip of the drink lol Had it been the diet kind, i would have been sure to have been sent straight to parent hell :wink:
  • crzycatlady1
    Options
    There's a home video of me in the hospital 2 days after giving birth, and i was having a sip of my sisters coke, I was mortified that i was caught on film drinking coke (not even diet) as i was breast feeding. The expression on my face looked like i'd just been busted doing a LINE of coke, not have a sipping of the drink lol Had it been the diet kind, i would have been sure to have been sent straight to parent hell :wink:

Ha that's nothing-I packed 20 ounce bottles of Coke in my delivery room bag and was chugging it 5 minutes after babies were born :D Kiddos turned I out fine with no horns or tails lol.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    There's a home video of me in the hospital 2 days after giving birth, and i was having a sip of my sisters coke, I was mortified that i was caught on film drinking coke (not even diet) as i was breast feeding. The expression on my face looked like i'd just been busted doing a LINE of coke, not have a sipping of the drink lol Had it been the diet kind, i would have been sure to have been sent straight to parent hell :wink:

Ha that's nothing-I packed 20 ounce bottles of Coke in my delivery room bag and was chugging it 5 minutes after babies were born :D Kiddos turned I out fine with no horns or tails lol.

Haha Fair enough, I stopped drinking it when i got pregnant. My sister even stopped drinking her beloved coffee when she was pregnant.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »

I've cut soda out before and then have added it back and haven't experienced this. Tasted the same to me even after not drinking it for a while :)

I have always had finely tuned taste buds I think. Even at an early age, I could accurately guess what spices were in a dish but in the case of soda tasting bad to me after a long hiatus from it, I think it is simply my overall lifestyle change. I cut out HFCS, no artificial sweeteners, no processed foods, etc. I had no problems with cookies, cakes and stuff as long as I baked it myself from organic ingredients. After a while, my tastes started changing to the point I could no longer go back to certain things I consumed before like soda. I used to make "semi-homemade" brownies and cakes with mixes and now? I cannot tolerate them at all. I have to make any baked goods from scratch.

(Sorry, I deviated a bit from topic!)