do fruits make you fat?

Options
I have been making fruit shakes lately.. and I am wondering if these things can make you fat? I don't put any additional sugar or artificial flavors, I only use raw fruits, almond butter, or concentrated juices.
Is there a difference when I drink a 300 calorie fruit shake versus a 300 calorie potato chips?

Thank you.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    No differencs at all ...although stripping out the fibre of fruit may be an issue if you're not getting adequate fibre in your diet

But that's a pretty calorific drink and I would imagine not very satisfying

Personally I'd go for the potato chips ..that's a huge portion of potato chips
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    an excess of overall calories will make you fat.

300 calories is 300 calories as far as energy goes.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    no, they don't. But drinking too many of them may not be optimal for satiety levels. If you drink one a day, perfectly ok. If you drink 5 smoothies, you maybe more hungry compared to eating your calories if this make sense

:)

• castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Eating a couple pieces of whole fruit a day--no problem. The sugar spike from gulping down several pieces of fruit at once, sweetened with concentrated fruit juice--not a great idea to do regularly.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Excess calories over your maintenance calorie level causes you to gain weight-it does not matter what foods those calories come from.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Eating a couple pieces of whole fruit a day--no problem. The sugar spike from gulping down several pieces of fruit at once, sweetened with concentrated fruit juice--not a great idea to do regularly.

In a person with no medical condition this is how the body works

Amazingly effective isn't it

It's not a problem for insulin and ghrelin to do the jobs they are supposed to do

Probably best not to demonise normal healthy biological processes

I agree that insulin does it's job, but i think if anything, you aren't doing your hunger hormones justice by drinking your calories. Especially if it's juice (not bound with fiber) as food passes through the stomach more quickly.

As you said in your initial post "But that's a pretty calorific drink and I would imagine not very satisfying". This is exactly why you experience hunger sooner when drinking your calories, ghrelin returns to baseline much sooner.

In any case, if OP can regulate total calories (i.e. doesn't binge because she's starving 20 minutes later), then as you said... insulin takes care of the issue and in a normal healthy individual it's perfectly fine.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP: To your title: "Do Fruits Make You Fat?"

*Anything* can make you fat if you over-consume it. It's all about the calories the food/drink contains. :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    An excess of calories, no matter what kind of food they come in, can cause weight gain.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Those are good calories. Any time you are getting calories from a veggie or something healthy is better than potato chips or anything unhealthy. :) I'm no expert but I would think your body can utilize the fruits and veggies but will more than likely store the fat and sugars from the unhealthy stuff leading to weight gain.
  • crzycatlady1
    edited December 2016
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    Those are good calories. Any time you are getting calories from a veggie or something healthy is better than potato chips or anything unhealthy. :) I'm no expert but I would think your body can utilize the fruits and veggies but will more than likely store the fat and sugars from the unhealthy stuff leading to weight gain.

No, there are no 'good' calories or 'bad' calories in terms of weight loss, weight gain and weight maintenance- the only thing that matters is CICO. There's plenty of people here who started out overweight while eating very 'healthy' diets, because they were over eating calories. In terms of weight it does not matter what foods you're eating-calories are calories :)
  • rainbowbow
    edited December 2016
    Options

I'm sorry, but this is a prime example of why we need greater education on the basics of biology.Edit: I'm not trying to be harsh here, but this is just the bare minimum in science. This faulty logic is part of the problem that needs to be addressed systemically.

Do fruits and vegetables have more micronutrition and fiber? Sure.

But individual food items cant be "healthy". One's overall diet (assuming it meets ALL nutrient needs) can be "healthy". And a "healthy" diet can incorporate many of these foods that people go on and on about being "bad".
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Your body has to be able to process the calories in a food in order to store it as fat, so the whole "our body stores unhealthy stuff" argument fails to make any sense. If anything, more efficient utilization (like you argue is happening for the fruits and vegetables) would lead to *more* calories for the body, not less. Weight gain comes down to calories consumed versus calories burned, it has nothing to do with how "healthy" we consider a food to be.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

LOL.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Your body doesn't utilize the food you eat because it feels like it but because it has to to make you not die.
  • RealRelicVa
    RealRelicVa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ive done the green smoothie diet by JJ Smith, and had some success with it, and seriously considering going back to it in 2017. The fruit is designed there to HIDE the bitterness of the greens, and she picks certain fruits for you to follow on certain days because of insulin resistance concerns. She has a whole movement behind her on this and its been WILDLY successful. Please check it out.
  • crzycatlady1
    Options
    Ive done the green smoothie diet by JJ Smith, and had some success with it, and seriously considering going back to it in 2017. The fruit is designed there to HIDE the bitterness of the greens, and she picks certain fruits for you to follow on certain days because of insulin resistance concerns. She has a whole movement behind her on this and its been WILDLY successful. Please check it out.

Most of those 'wildly' successful people have bought into her MLM scheme :p