Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Irreversible Damage (Health & fitness knowledge base)

Options
rybo
rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
In this age of vast amounts of information and the ability to also spread misinformation just as quickly, will there always be a battle to overcome the false statements and half truths in the health & fitness industry that have come to be taken as truth? Will other misinformation creep into the arena and complicate things?

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

It has always amazed me how massive amounts of people will discard scientific evidence as being part of the pharmaceutical industry, but then trust the information in a supplement company video and immediately purchase a free trial of Vitamix Ten Thousand Ultra Mega Max! It cures cancer! Not taking this supplement causes cancer! Here's a guy in a lab coat - listen to him!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The longing by humans to believe in health hucksterism is seemingly limitless--and has been so for thousands of years. And there will always be an endless supply of hucksters to fill out hat need.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    The longing by humans to believe in health hucksterism is seemingly limitless--and has been so for thousands of years. And there will always be an endless supply of hucksters to fill out hat need.

Yep. There were people 200 years ago making a killing by selling snake oil out of the back of their horse drawn carriage. And tabloids printing crazy unproven health stories to sell papers. It's just easier and spreads faster now.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The other side of this is the crap about food itself. I shouldn't eat baby carrots because of Chlorine (and, apparently now they are washed in formaldehyde)? I mean, who comes up with this *kitten* and why? There isn't a buck to be made by spreading garbage about aspartame. But the stupidity of some of the stories, internet rumours is freaking mind boggling.

I swear the hardest thing about weight loss is slogging your way through the garbage in the media to get to reality, even when the garbage isn't a money maker.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    The other side of this is the crap about food itself. I shouldn't eat baby carrots because of Chlorine (and, apparently now they are washed in formaldehyde)? I mean, who comes up with this *kitten* and why? There isn't a buck to be made by spreading garbage about aspartame. But the stupidity of some of the stories, internet rumours is freaking mind boggling.

I swear the hardest thing about weight loss is slogging your way through the garbage in the media to get to reality, even when the garbage isn't a money maker.

So true.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

This is a lot of what I was meaning as much as supplements & gimmicks. You've got bro science and cherry picked studies saying anything you want them too and taking things out of context. Some things are taken as gospel when the science was wrong from the start (eggs & animal fats being bad for you while margarine was healthy)
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

So freaking true. I think we could have a healthy debate on THE WORST diet myth that is continually repeated:).
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Sadly, "this age" has been going on forever. It's just natural for people to latch onto something that makes sense to them or falls into their general belief sets or fears. It will never change. It's just a bit worse nowadays with the Internet.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I watch marketing reports and "fat-blasting" is going to be the massive marketing push in 2017.

Be afraid folks....be very afraid.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

So freaking true. I think we could have a healthy debate on THE WORST diet myth that is continually repeated:).

Starvation mode. Simply the worst myth there is. But I'm game to open that thread for *kitten* and giggles.