MFP Calories WAY off

Options
So after using MFP's suggested intake for a month, I realized I was not getting anywhere so I started dropping my calories lower over time.

Over summer, I found out the only way I could actually lose 1-2lbs/week (being 150lbs at the time) was by eating around 750 calories a day. That was with daily leisurely swimming and a 1 hour bike ride 5 days a week. I got down to 135 in about three months.

I realized it was unsustainable. So I set MFP to maintenance and eased to that calorie recommendation, thinking I could at least maintain. Now it's been three more months and I've gained 10 pounds back :(

I log every single thing I eat BEFORE I eat it. I don't really snack, I drink only water, and I exercise every day. I have no idea why my calorie requirements are so far off what MFP recommends.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated :)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your intake?
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If you're gaining weight then you're eating over your maintenance calorie level. Your diary is locked-could you make it public so we can take a look at it?

And what are your current stats?

And how are your figuring out your exercise burns?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I always have to go under the calories MFP says because I know that I am under logging. I try to be as accurate as I can be and use a food scale when I am home - but even so I under log. So I just move the target down some and then it works just fine. Just a couple 100 cal a day - but it makes a big difference in how fast or slow I lose.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the one to say it. There has to be something wrong with how you are quantifying your intake. Please make your diary public.

If the OP's log is saying 750 calories, then that won't show anything. This is almost certainly a case of underestimating food amounts, overestimating calorie burns, or a combination of the two.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP - have you had your thyroid functions checked?

Failing that, the answer to your issue is contained somewhere in this chart:

80o9y6cd25ux.jpg
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the one to say it. There has to be something wrong with how you are quantifying your intake. Please make your diary public.

If the OP's log is saying 750 calories, then that won't show anything. This is almost certainly a case of underestimating food amounts, overestimating calorie burns, or a combination of the two.

There's plenty of common errors that are visible in a diary, including incorrect database entries.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Look at the flowchart above. It doesn't lie.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

This.

The evidence of how much (or how little) we are eating is always in the results. It's so easy to unknowingly underestimate our calorie intake and overestimate calories burned.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

This.

The evidence of how much (or how little) we are eating is always in the results. It's so easy to unknowingly underestimate our calorie intake and overestimate calories burned.

So easy!
    That small handful of cashews i grabbed on the way through the kitchen doesn't really count, when in reality there's a quick 200 unaccounted for calories. That extra spoonful here, guestimatation there, "serving size" here there and everywhere soon add up.

• WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    She posted this earlier today, about 10 hours ago. She has yet to make her profile public, or respond beyond the OP. She ate a ridiculously low amount of calories for three months and it was the only way she lost weight. I think OP is trolling. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.