Need to lower cholesterol

Options

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You guys are great!

As far as I can tell from a family history of diabetes, high blood pressure, lymphocytic leukemia and Alzheimer's, a cholesterol or thyroid disorder is seemingly the only thing that I probably won't inherit.

I get a lipid panel every year when I get a physical, and though my weight is pretty static my LDL levels have slowly risen. I don't think that's indicative of my body having trouble processing fats, unless it's been slowly getting worse.

The LCHF diet is intriguing, but also terrifying. While I think that maybe my General Practitioner isn't up on all the hip new cholesterol research, going strictly against her orders of "eat less saturated fat" is still a bit daunting of a first step.

On the other hand, I have no trouble throwing in 30 minutes of daily cardio and eating a serving of oatmeal for breakfast. I guess we'll see how that lipid panel looks in six months!

And perhaps less cookies, too.

My mil is another one who's a healthy bmi and her cholesterol was pretty high. Her doctor also directed her to lower her saturated fat intake, so she started being mindful of it (nothing too extreme, mostly started doing a lot of 1/2 portions for things that have a higher amount of saturated fat in them) and she started eating the oats on a regular basis (she's the one who got me hooked lol). She also started doing 'gentle' cardio almost every day on a rebounder. Those simple things have improved her numbers and her doctor is no longer pushing statins for her.

I think you're on the right path and hopefully it will be enough to reverse the progression of your numbers :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oats are great but they don't fill me up much so it's such a drag! I guess a great cholesterol combo would be oats with nuts and berries!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I was getting a bit high too when I did a lot of changing. I stopped eating deep fried food & burgers, switched to oatmeal & fruit most mornings, backed off salt, ate more fish, got rid of the potatoes at dinner and backed of portion size. The other thing I did was get active, first by walking and moved gradually into running. I worked up to about 30 miles a week at my peak. My bad cholesterol is very low and my good is high. I know a lot is genetic but I will try anything to avoid taking any medication and this new lifestyle clearly helped with my cholesterol and blood pressure. I am still free from any medication at 55.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Oats are great but they don't fill me up much so it's such a drag! I guess a great cholesterol combo would be oats with nuts and berries!
    This ^^^ is what I do. Old fashioned oats, fresh strawberries, blueberries or black berries, walnuts and chia seeds with almond milk. Plain oats just aren't very exciting.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Drop some weight and be consistent with exercise. Raising your good cholesterol helps to counter the bad.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm another one with familial hypercholerolemia, and I've successfully lowered mine and got good ratios (without needing statins yet thankfully) by becoming very active. I'm another one who started with walking and progressed to running. I still walk quite a bit, though.

I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian. I did not give up dairy, but I do watch my saturated fat intake (it's one of the things I track on here) to keep it low. I make sure to keep up my fiber intake and keep down my fat intake. I eat nuts every day.

I agree with the poster who stresses the importance of adding exercise.
  • crzycatlady1
    edited December 2016
    Options

How many servings do you eat per time? I never eat a single serving by itself and I also always add something to it. Tonight I'm doing a serving of quick oats, a packet of instant flavored oats and then a serving of quasi-Greek yogurt (because it's Yoplait hehe). Really filling and it clocks in at 380 calories-and this will be supper for me. You could add a banana or some walnuts to make it even bigger of a meal, and it would still be around 500 calories or less. There's sooo much you can do with oats!

eta: next time you think oatmeal is a drag, spend a few minutes here ;)
    http://www.theoatmealartist.com/recipe-index/recipe-list-a-z/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

How many servings do you eat per time? I never eat a single serving by itself and I also always add something to it. Tonight I'm doing a serving of quick oats, a packet of instant flavored oats and then a serving of quasi-Greek yogurt (because it's Yoplait hehe). Really filling and it clocks in at 380 calories-and this will be supper for me. You could add a banana or some walnuts to make it even bigger of a meal, and it would still be around 500 calories or less. There's sooo much you can do with oats!

eta: next time you think oatmeal is a drag, spend a few minutes here ;)
    http://www.theoatmealartist.com/recipe-index/recipe-list-a-z/

Tried a lot of those actually, not really a fan.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The LCHF diet is intriguing, but also terrifying. While I think that maybe my General Practitioner isn't up on all the hip new cholesterol research, going strictly against her orders of "eat less saturated fat" is still a bit daunting of a first step.
    I was in a similar situation, my total chol went up to almost 300 mg/dl, LDL went over 200 and my doc said do something or else...statins. I was eating a LCHF diet/paleo at the time and wasn't that overweight at the time of the test, I was around 145 lbs, so it was the diet that was causing it.

I reversed my high cholesterol by cutting back on saturated fats, less meat in general, less butters, oils etc and started eating more whole grains, beans, lentils, oats, fruits and veg, plus exercise, and all my labs are back to normal range. So, check your current diet and evaluate the fat content and try cutting back and recheck in a couple months or so. It doesn't take too long to reverse it.

Also, the other poster's suggestion to read 'Cholesterol Clarity' is kinda interesting considering the author Jimmy Moore, still is and has been obese for years while touting his LCHF diet, and per his blog, has horrendously high cholesterol himself so, be warned.

So he changed his eating which caused his cholesterol to go up, made him less healthy, so he wrote a popular book about how to do that? That makes no sense. His cholesterol improved on a LCHF diet. Most peoples' do.

But no, LCHF is not for everyone. Good luck OP. :)
  • crzycatlady1
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I was in a similar situation, my total chol went up to almost 300 mg/dl, LDL went over 200 and my doc said do something or else...statins. I was eating a LCHF diet/paleo at the time and wasn't that overweight at the time of the test, I was around 145 lbs, so it was the diet that was causing it.

I reversed my high cholesterol by cutting back on saturated fats, less meat in general, less butters, oils etc and started eating more whole grains, beans, lentils, oats, fruits and veg, plus exercise, and all my labs are back to normal range. So, check your current diet and evaluate the fat content and try cutting back and recheck in a couple months or so. It doesn't take too long to reverse it.

Also, the other poster's suggestion to read 'Cholesterol Clarity' is kinda interesting considering the author Jimmy Moore, still is and has been obese for years while touting his LCHF diet, and per his blog, has horrendously high cholesterol himself so, be warned.

So he changed his eating which caused his cholesterol to go up, made him less healthy, so he wrote a popular book about how to do that? That makes no sense. His cholesterol improved on a LCHF diet. Most peoples' do.

Don't have a clue who this guy is so I just looked him up-I thought it was interesting that he stopped posting 'after' pictures of himself in 2012 but I found some images of him from this year and yeah, they kind of speak for themselves. I wonder what his last blood work panels were, I couldn't find any recent info? Not really seeing how this guy could be considered a good role model or resource for sustainable weight loss and better health though, by looking at his recent pictures. Maybe I'm missing something?

• nvmomketo
    Options

Don't have a clue who this guy is so I just looked him up-I thought it was interesting that he stopped posting 'after' pictures of himself in 2012 but I found some images of him from this year and yeah, they kind of speak for themselves. I wonder what his last blood work panels were, I couldn't find any recent info? Not really seeing how this guy could be considered a good role model or resource for sustainable weight loss and better health though, by looking at his recent pictures. Maybe I'm missing something?

Moore started out quite large. I'm guessing over 400lbs. He lost a good 150lbs, maintained that for a few years and then regained some weight. He is now using IF along with ketosis to slowly lower his weight.

I saw a talk by him at a conference or something. Yeah, he's heavy. No where near as heavy as he was. He just ate too much.I believe his lipid panels were okay still. Anyway, I thnk he is a stress eater who binges. That will make anyone gan weight. CI<CO, right?

He addresses his obesity here:
  • crzycatlady1
    Options

Moore started out quite large. I'm guessing over 400lbs. He lost a good 150lbs, maintained that for a few years and then regained some weight. He is now using IF along with ketosis to slowly lower his weight.

I saw a talk by him at a conference or something. Yeah, he's heavy. No where near as heavy as he was. He just ate too much.I believe his lipid panels were okay still. Anyway, I thnk he is a stress eater who binges. That will make anyone gan weight. CI<CO, right?

He addresses his obesity here:

Thanks for the additional info!
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Umm..no it did not. >http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/jimmy-moores-cholesterol-test-results-2008-2013/18256

Between 2008-2013, it went up then down back to where he started. His LDL went from 246 to 236 mg/dl (should be under 100). And total chol from 326 to 310 mg/dl (should be under 200). He published the Cholesterol Clarity book in 2013 so he was basing his book on that period. Basically those numbers are still more than 100 points over the recommended range. So, still bad.

And I see he has a more 'recent' update >http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/jimmy-moores-fall-2014-cholesterol-thyroid-and-other-health-test-results/23857
    LDL 193 and Total Chol 288 mg/dl. I wouldn't call this...cholesterol "clarity".
  • nvmomketo
    edited December 2016
    Options

Umm..no it did not. >http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/jimmy-moores-cholesterol-test-results-2008-2013/18256

Between 2008-2013, it went up then down back to where he started. His LDL went from 246 to 236 mg/dl (should be under 100). And total chol from 326 to 310 mg/dl (should be under 200). He published the Cholesterol Clarity book in 2013 so he was basing his book on that period. Basically those numbers are still more than 100 points over the recommended range. So, still bad.

And I see he has a more 'recent' update >http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/jimmy-moores-fall-2014-cholesterol-thyroid-and-other-health-test-results/23857

??
    Overall, his cholesterol did improve. His triglycerides are low and HDL is great. LDL is a bit high but who cares? LDL-P is a bad one but his is low. His heart health is excellent.

I think you are basing your attack on some outdated ideas about cholesterol and heart health. Everything he says in Cholesterol Clarity is in agreement with the Great Cholesterol Myth and Cholesterol Con (can't remember which book has great in the title), as well as everything Attia says.
    Try reading this:
    http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-i
    Or this:
    http://eatingacademy.com/
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

??
    Overall, his cholesterol did improve. His triglycerides are low and HDL is great. LDL is a bit high but who cares? LDL-P is a bad one but his is low. His heart health is excellent.

Yeah, sure, lets focus on HDL and Triglycerides which were in the normal range both before and after and ignore the obvious elephant in the room. Bottom line is, IF someone DOES care about lowering their LDL and total cholesterol, Jimmy Moore's lab history is a good example of what not to do. Why would the OP, or anyone, follow Jimmy's diet advice when he has way worse labs than she does and can't seem to get it together despite years of trying?

• nvmomketo
    Options

??

Yeah, sure, lets focus on HDL and Triglycerides which were in the normal range both before and after and ignore the obvious elephant in the room. Bottom line is, IF someone DOES care about lowering their LDL and total cholesterol, Jimmy Moore's lab history is a good example of what not to do. Why would the OP, or anyone, follow Jimmy's diet advice when he has way worse labs than she does and can't seem to get it together despite years of trying?

Meh. I've read enough stuff to no longer worry about LDL and heart health. It's about as revelant as hair colour... Of course, people with grey hair are more likely to suffer from CAD than those with brown hair so maybe I should take that back. LOL

LDL will usually stay about the same on a LCHF diet. That his mostly did is pretty much expected. Hardly an elephant.

I dunno. Cholesterol Clarity is pretty spot on. Try reading it.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    Statins? No! I don't want that!

OP: Why such an emphatic rejection of statins?

While they can have neg side effects for some, many more have benefited from the reduction of the risk of heart attack resulting from the control of cholesterol thru the use of statins.

I have been taking statins for over 30 years with no ill effects and they have controlled my naturally high cholesterol levels, which have seldom changed regardless of diet and/or exercise.

So, while it would be better not to need to take any medication of any kind, I do not think you need to worry about taking a statin if it can help you to reduce your cholesterol levels and any associated risk of heart disease.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Im taking statins been taking them again for about 3 months and for the first time ever my triglycerides are in the normal range. I have to do low fat too. 3 months of taking this new med is doing far more than years of the other statins with diet and exercise,no statins and diet and exercise,etc. my LDL-p came down over 700pts(yeah it was over 2000).my HDL is good,my LDL-c is only 11 points over the normal range. I had tried many ways of reducing it with and without meds. I do better with meds.for me just losing the weight and exercise and watching what I ate didnt amount to much. sometimes you have to add a statin or another kind of cholesterol lowering medication.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Since this thread is still active, I wanted to add something I came across that calls into question research I mentioned in my earlier post about lack of evidence for statins preventing first heart attacks -- it seems a meta-study released this fall did find some evidence for statins preventing first attacks in patients with risk factors. Here's a link to a news story about it, but the actual study was commissioned by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force and published in the Nov. 13, 2016, JAMA.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Since this thread is still active, I wanted to add something I came across that calls into question research I mentioned in my earlier post about lack of evidence for statins preventing first heart attacks -- it seems a meta-study released this fall did find some evidence for statins preventing first attacks in patients with risk factors. Here's a link to a news story about it, but the actual study was commissioned by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force and published in the Nov. 13, 2016, JAMA.

for some it may not prevent a heart attack. for others it might. in my case I will do what it takes to prevent that if I can.my grandma had high cholesterol most of her life. she took no meds,when she died she died from dementia, she never had a heart attack either, dont know what type of cholesterol she had. My dad died from a heart attack in his 60s(it stemmed from a severe asthma attack), but not sure if he had high cholesterol or not. I know he didnt take meds if he did.. I guess maybe in years to come we will see more studies on whether or not they prevent heart attacks or if it will be a one size does not fit all scenario.