Not reaching my daily calorie count

Options
Hey everyone! I am supposed to reach 1200 calories but I am struggling to reach that number. Does someone know what happens if I don't reach that goal?
Thank you!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is generally considered the bottom threshold for an average woman to reach her nutrition goals. If your logging is accurate, if your estimates are accurate, and if you're under by a significant amount a majority of the time and not making it up elsewhere, you'll likely run into nutrition deficiencies, muscle loss, hair loss, sagging skin, brittle nails, etc. It all depends on how far below and for how long, of course.

But why is your question what happens if you keep eating so little instead of asking for help to eat more?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter...
  • vicky210392
    vicky210392 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is generally considered the bottom threshold for an average woman to reach her nutrition goals. If your logging is accurate, if your estimates are accurate, and if you're under by a significant amount a majority of the time and not making it up elsewhere, you'll likely run into nutrition deficiencies, muscle loss, hair loss, sagging skin, brittle nails, etc. It all depends on how far below and for how long, of course.

But why is your question what happens if you keep eating so little instead of asking for help to eat more?

It's not that I want to eat little, it's just that I had some issues with my weight recently and need to reach a certain calorie goal (I used to eat way less). But I'm trying really hard to reach 2000 calories a day eventually. My nutritionist is gradually building me up to 2000.

• azflamingo
    azflamingo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'll have a few crackers. They satisfy and I get the calories I need to get to 1200. I do like the peanut butter idea, so thanks.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

It's not that I want to eat little, it's just that I had some issues with my weight recently and need to reach a certain calorie goal (I used to eat way less). But I'm trying really hard to reach 2000 calories a day eventually. My nutritionist is gradually building me up to 2000.

So, working on recovering from an eating disorder?

As Diannethegeek said (and your medical team will, too, if you have one), going lower puts you at the risk of nutrition deficiencies, losing your hair, hormonal problems which can eventually affect your fertility, losing muscle, saggy skin, and so on.

You may want to hang out on the "Gaining weight" board.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Think "balance."

It sounds like you have an eating disorder and need to eat more. At first, I thought you were overweight and asking this question. Believe it or not.. a lot of people do.

It is hard for many of us to develop a healthy relationship with food.. where we are not controlled by it.

I suggest eating some high calorie small portion foods. Olive oil..or any oil. Nut butters, and nuts.. avocado is another good one. all great for you.. but high in calories.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    OP, try adding nut butters, nuts, avocado, full fat dairy to your days.