Macros - Natural sugar

Options
I am struggling with the sugar side of my MACROS, I always go over but this is because I like a lot of fruit, I eat very little in the way of refined sugars.

Is the natural sugar in fruit that bad for you? I am not sure I can cut my fruit down enough ; - (

Replies

• matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Have a search for fruits and sugars. There are lots of posts about it and many different opinions. For what it's worth I count whole fruit sugars as carbs and ignore it if I go over my sugar macros.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    for one, sugar is a micro. for two, MFP's recc is based on the WHO's recommendation for added/refined sugar. There is no formal, sanctioned recommendation for total sugar or naturally occurring sugars in fruit and veg. It's mostly for people to be aware of how much soda they're drinking, etc.

Unless you have a medical condition that warrants tracking sugar specifically (diabetes, insulin resistant, PCOS, etc), don't bother. Manage your macros (carbs in this case) and the rest will take care of itself.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    for one, sugar is a micro. for two, MFP's recc is based on the WHO's recommendation for added/refined sugar. There is no formal, sanctioned recommendation for total sugar or naturally occurring sugars in fruit and veg. It's mostly for people to be aware of how much soda they're drinking, etc.

Unless you have a medical condition that warrants tracking sugar specifically (diabetes, insulin resistant, PCOS, etc), don't bother. Manage your macros (carbs in this case) and the rest will take care of itself.

^This. Only track total carbs, don't worry about sugar, natural or otherwise, unless you are diabetic or pre diabetic
  • grumpadon
    grumpadon Posts: 24
    Options
    I stopped soda. regular or diet. I don't eat sweets and don't use sugar at all. not even in coffee. I don't worry about what is in fruits.