Stubborn belly, hip, and thigh fat...

Options
2»

Replies

• lisanhorowitz
    lisanhorowitz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    kirkmana94 wrote: »
    Thank you for the advice! You're right I should go less by the numbers and more by what I see. What would you recommend machine wise for lifting and resistance training? I suppose I should be focusing less on cardio, which has been my main focus recently. I just always thought cardio helped you lose more fat and weights were used more to gain muscle. I wanted to lose the fat before gaining muscle, but I guess they kind of overlap.

Hi Personal Trainer and Group Fitness Instructor here. Lifting/ resistance is really important, but it's more important to lift with good form. I suggest you start lighter and look up how to do certain exercises on youtube. You could also start with body weight only exercises (pushup, tricep dip) which are really effective, but make sure you look up the form. Bigger muscles (legs back and chest) are going to burn more than smaller muscles (tricep, shoulders), but they should all be incorporated. It might be worth it to pay for one training session just to make sure you've got the form down, or just be really diligent watching youtube to make sure you're doing it right. Good Luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I'll admit I don't do enough weight lifting. Right now I'm doing mostly cardio to try to burn the fat. I want to do more weight lifting but I don't really know proper form or how many reps I should be doing. I feel like my heart rate doesn't really go high enough when I do weights and I barely sweat or feel sore afterwards so I feel like it's not doing anything, but maybe that's because I'm not lifting enough weight.
    Cardio doesn't burn fat directly. It's an old myth that's circulated by the fitness industry. You burn glycogen first and foremost. And even at lower intensities, you may burn a higher percentage of body fat for fuel, but it's pretty insignificant. Fat is utilized exclusively AT REST. And again, you only burn off excess if you're in a decent calorie deficit.
    Here's why you should lift. It keeps more lean muscle and helps to keep your RESTING METABOLIC RATE up. The less muscle you use, the lower more metabolic rate will drop. That means LESS fat burning.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, every pound makes a difference, even if it's small. I just need to learn how to target these specific areas and tone them to rid them of the fat. My goal is to lose a bit more fat and start building some muscle.
    You CANNOT target areas of the body to rid them of fat with exercise. It doesn't work that way. If you retain fat in those parts of your body, it's due to genetics.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,348 Member
    Options
    You might try some exercises that focus on core...pilates and yoga are good.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You might try some exercises that focus on core...pilates and yoga are good.

It doesn't work like that.