Fav Stength Program

Options
I'm getting started again with lifting weights after a pause in my motivation. I did a 12 week program in the past that worked well but may time I've started it again, I felt bored by it- additionally I was given advice by a physio that it wasn't a great program (over use concerns..) anyway... I've been wasting a ton of time on the internet looking for a program so I thought I'd ask everyone here about your fav... I'm looking for 4 days a week 45 mins or so, I'm still in fat loss mode, I have a a squat rack, cables, adjustable bench and a range of dumbels at home plus a treadmill, so I have a fairly good gym set up and can do most gym exercises at home... any suggestions? Thanks!!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I like Strong Curves' full body programs, which are run 3-4 days a week.

I also like the A Workout Routine beginner program, which is an A/B program run 3 days per week.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts, Strong curves, ice cream fitness, Nrol for women...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My fave is actually Get Glutes (which is a bit pricey as it is a monthly subscription program), followed by Strong Curves. I really like Bret Contreras' programming and tend to gravitate to him.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i liked stronglifts 5x5 for a period of time. then i did 3x5 for another few months and changed to wendler 5/3/1.

excluding my newbie phase of clinging to 5x5 because it was something i already knew how to do, wendler has been the most fun. about a month ago (cycle 8) i began feeling a little bit stale, so i added the 5x10 hypertrophy sets and that's keeping me occupied atm.

different people are different. but for me, fiddly little programmes full of four or five different movements per workout are the thing that i can't get into. i like compound lifts and simple templates.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of StrongLifts 5x5 for the simplicity. It has an app that does all the work for you too.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Stronglifts. It is great for people who don't like wasting time. 3 days a week, 30-60 minutes for me. Three compound exercises each workout.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    AllPro, it's a 3 day programme leaning a little more towards hypertrophy than strength.

Cheers, h.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Workout Trainer app for over 2 years now. I love it!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Partly out of curiosity - partly so we don't recommend that program or something too similar to it - what program were you doing, that the physio didn't like and you were getting bored with?

eta: Also, what did you find boring about the program, so we can take that into account?

In addition, my "favorite" program was probably 5/3/1, as the variability of accessory lifts make it easy to change things whenever you want, but keep the overall program in place.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Wendler 5/3/1 rep scheme has to be my favourite. Lost a lot of strength due to a shoulder injury awhile back on my last cut. Within 3 months of wendler combined with PHAT. I've broken several rep records, Belt less 1rm, and even added 10lbs to my deadlift 1rm lastnight which has plateaud for over 6 months. 5x5 Is alright for beginners, but since I'm looking for a body building aspect as well Id have to opt for wendler and phat.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Nia Shanks' beautiful badass program. It has 12-15 different programs, each designed to be tough and efficient. It's what I return to over and over again. Available on her website as an ebook and so worth the $35 I paid for it several years ago. I also learned a lot about designing programs from her, and have been having fun putting my own programs together.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Nia Shanks. I have a couple of her programs and love them. She will also respond to any questions you email:).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    The one my trainer tells me to do...