How long for initial weight training temp weight to fall off?

Options
My wife has now added weight training to her weight loss journey... i have been asked by her why her weight hasn't come off in the last 2 weeks and why she in fact has gained 2-3 pounds... we weigh and track everything and she hasn't changed anything in 3 months aside from calorie adjustments for weight loss. I remember that the weight hangs around a couple weeks as your body adjusts... did i tell her right?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the exact number of weeks, but for me it was 4-6 and then a whoosh ( I want to say closer to the 4 weeks). I knew I was tracking just as accurately as before, so I held on. It's tough though when you are used to seeing the scale movement. Tell her to hold on.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Varies by person. I gained 3 lbs the first month and lost 3 lbs the second month. Some people see it go more quickly. Tell her to trust in the process and whatever she does, don't quit lifting. Think long term.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue where my weight loss would stall for a week or two anytime I began a weight training regiment. I'm supposing this is pretty normal.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    My wife has now added weight training to her weight loss journey... i have been asked by her why her weight hasn't come off in the last 2 weeks and why she in fact has gained 2-3 pounds... we weigh and track everything and she hasn't changed anything in 3 months aside from calorie adjustments for weight loss. I remember that the weight hangs around a couple weeks as your body adjusts... did i tell her right?

shes most likely retaining water,that happens when you start any new exercise regimen. drink more water and eventually it should come off.also weight loss is not linear so some weeks you will lose, some you wont and some you may gain(from water retention,high sodium intake,hormones,etc)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Minority report (it seems): My couple of pounds gain hung on just as long as I kept lifting progressively (i.e., consistently low-level sore muscles), I believe. However, I was in a calorie deficit so fat loss outpaced that water weight within a couple of weeks as well.

Why do I say water weight gain hung on long term, then? I'm a lazy slug, and pretty much only weight train during my (rowing) off-season. I lost a couple of otherwise unexplainable pounds when the progressive lifting stopped in the Spring. ;)

YMMV (HMMV?) of course.
  • Aesthetics27
    Aesthetics27 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Building muscle will keep the scale stagnant/possibly increase weight. are you accounting for additional calories like sauces, oils, butters, literally everything? Carbs and salt will retain water in the body. That's why fighters can show up to a weigh-in at 165 and then gain back 10lbs on the day of the fight.

Like I tell people I work with, unless you need to make a weight requirement, chest, waist, arm, etc. measurements and how you look (progress pictures are important!!!) is more telling than weight on a scale.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Building muscle will keep the scale stagnant/possibly increase weight. are you accounting for additional calories like sauces, oils, butters, literally everything? Carbs and salt will retain water in the body. That's why fighters can show up to a weigh-in at 165 and then gain back 10lbs on the day of the fight.

Like I tell people I work with, unless you need to make a weight requirement, chest, waist, arm, etc. measurements and how you look (progress pictures are important!!!) is more telling than weight on a scale.

if she is eating in a deficit she isnt going to gain 2-3lbs in muscle in 2 weeks. it doesnt happen that quickly for women. probably not for most men either