Vacation Advice

Options
brandieb3678
brandieb3678 Posts: 6 Member
edited December 2016 in Motivation and Support
Hello all!
I started my journey to lose 40lbs on Nov 1st by reducing calorie intake and weight workouts 3 to 4 days a week. I have lost 13 lbs to date. I didn't measure myself at first but I have lost 3/4" off both my waist and hips since 12/3. I'm pretty satisfied with my results so far. I do have days that I just screw up royally with my food!
Usually once a week, sometimes twice (Saturday night and or Sunday funday) I'll drink. My main dink of choice is Mich Ultra buuuut I love me some chilled Crown Apple shots! I never put what I drink in to MFP, bad I know.
Any who, I leave for Cabo in a week for 9 days. I am staying at a all inclusive resort and am going with a group of 34 friends. S**t show is not the word for how this vacation will be. I know I will be drinking, however, I will be doing a lot of activities as well. I plan to fish 2 to 3 times, horseback riding, four-wheeling, jet skiing and would like to try snorkeling. I don't want to sit in the pool drinking all day but there will be days that will be like that I'm sure! The hotel has a gym that I plan to use while there.
I guess I'm looking for some suggestions, help from others who have had similar vacations. Did you do as you pleased while vacationing or did you try to stick to your normal routine?
Please feel free Friend me!!! Thanks :)

Replies

• BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Has anyone helped you out yet?
  • Naruya
    Naruya Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to just enjoy yourself those 9 days. After all, it's just 9 days and you're putting in some exercise! I think trying to stick to your normal routine, especially when you're going all inclusive, would not make your vacation any more fun.

I went on a 3-week trip not too long ago and since I was eating out 3 times a day I didn't have many healthy choices. When I came back I gained 2kg but most of that was water weight, so it came off pretty fast. I think that's worth the 3 awesome weeks I had. I also did a lot of activities (mostly walking/hiking) so that helped a bit.

• catgerm
    catgerm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    We did Disneyland at the beginning of the month and was worried about totally falling off the wagon, but did surpringly well.

The suggestion I can give is to not let yourself get hungry. I took bags of carrots and apples into the park w me, and Snacked on a those. It helped me make better decisions when it came to meals.

Maybe try to keep healthy snacks in your bag or your room. Like bring a couple tupperwares with you so you can take fruit or vegetables to go for your beach bag?

Also, for the holidays I would make sure to fill my plate with mostly salad and vegetables, and then eat everything else. It helped me cut back on the everything else.

Otherwise...let yourself relax and have fun!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Focus on activities that give you exercise...vacations are great for that! I wouldn't even hit the gym, personally, when there's long walks on the beach, horseback riding, swimming, snorkling, and other great exercise opportunities.

Restaurant-style and buffet style food tend to be what is problematic on vacations. Be sure to really focus on portion sizes, and do not feel you have to eat all that's put in front of you. In general, the less something is processed and sauced, the fewer calories it will have. For example, a grilled fish will typically have far fewer calories than a fried fish with a heavy cream sauce. But of course it is hard to know exactly because generally there's no sign saying how many calories things are, portion sizes are outsized, and so on. :(

Some resorts will be happy to put you in touch with the resort chef. It may be worth a try, because a very highly qualified chef may well have had some nutrition training. He or she may be able to recommend dishes for you. Guests with dietary restrictions are not that uncommon, whether it is food allergies, diabetic, or people who keep Kosher and high quality resorts can often handle that.

It is a great idea to find your snack buddies...things like fruits you enjoy, for instance.

Finally, be very careful with alcohol. Not only does it tend to be a lot of calories but it tends to make people eat and drink even more. Of course you should enjoy your pina colada/beer/wine spritzer/whatever, but that's what alcohol does.

Vacations and weight loss at an all inclusive resort go like...well, they really don't. But if you are getting more exercise than normal, eating somewhat sensibly, and so on you likely will be fine.
  • brandieb3678
    brandieb3678 Posts: 6 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice! I actually tend to eat less when I'm not at work! I think I will do much better with eating then drinking. And as I said I plan to do a lot of activities and hitting the gym. I will let you know how I do! Thanks again!!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Portion control is your friend!