Spinning calories

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Alright, this has been bothering me for a bit. I've been doing more stationary bike (vs walking) in the last 3 months. I knew that it doesn't burn as much as walking, but it's nice not to have to leave the house. I used a HRM 2 years ago and it gave me the exact same number as the bike, so I just pretty much followed that (220 calories burn an hour compared to 300 when I walk outside, with the hills etc).

I got a Fitbit charge 2 for Christmas and figured I'd give it a shot on the bike... Granted, I was only able to do 20 minutes, and I know that my heart rate increases as I go, and that I usually burn more in the last 20 minutes than in the first 20 ones... but it gave me a very sad 60 calorie burn for those 20 minutes. My heart rate didn't get over 95ish (it goes to 120 when I walk outside, up to 140 on the treadmill, resting heart rate is 65-70ish).

Ok, now I know that fitbits are not exactly the most accurate when it comes to heart rate, but really, does that seem about normal to you? I was going at 15.7mph on the bike, which is the most I can usually do without my legs completely killing me after 30 minutes... and that's on a good day. So I just go as fast as my legs will let me, typically.

I'm 5'5" and 136-138ish pounds, if it helps. I guess I just don't understand how some people can burn 400 calories an hour spinning... my legs just won't let me do that.

Replies

• _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Using a stationary bike isn't the same thing as spinning in the spin studio sense of the word.

Spinning, in an actual spin class / with your own playlist and using a spin studio approach, involves a range of tempos and resistance levels. A good 45-50 minute session will incorporate seated races, standing & seated sprint tracks, hills, jogs and (perhaps) core-challenging choreography. The resistance for all of these tracks is ideally as high as you can make it while still hitting the beat.

Note that it is not just about speed. On the contrary, resistance is everything. Can you crank it? Do you come out of the saddle and engage your core?

It sounds to me like you are not challenging yourself enough.

FWIW, I stopwatch track each spin class I do on my Charge HR as a "workout", then categorize it after the fact as spinning. It will typically give me an avg HR of ~150 over the 45 minute session (so that includes warmup and warm down, when HR drops - highest HR is 178ish /180) and a burn of over 400 calories. Of the 45 minutes, 15 or more will be "red" zone for HR.

I have set my settings below my true stats (I tell fitbit I'm 1" shorter and 2 years older than I am).

ETA: I only started spinning in October 2016 and now ride 10+ classes a week, my favourites being doubles (ie back to back classes). I never in a zillion years 1) thought I could spin, 2) imagined ever doing a double. Yet here I am. It's been transformative physically.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    With your HR as low as you're reporting there is a very weak correlation between that and your calorie burn.

I can only assume there was a very low resistance on the bike, so 60 cals could be about right.

My turbo trainer is quite old, so only a fan and flywheel arrangement to provide resistance, but I vary that using the bike gears, with speed being instrumented at the back wheel.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If you are burning less calories cycling than walking you must be going at an ultra gentle pace with almost no resistance.
    60 calories for 20 minutes is ridiculously low. Would expect someone with reasonable fitness to be getting treble that or more!

If your heart rate isn't getting up to far more than it does when you are walking then you simply aren't trying hard enough. Get your cadence up to between 80 - 100 rpm and turn up the resistance.

For comparison I cycle a lot and 600 cals an hour is pretty gentle going - my multi hour pace. 800 for an hour would be a fairly intense indoor workout (power meter equipped trainer BTW).
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I find the hrm on my fitbit very accurate, however many here will tell you that heart rate and calorie burn don't correlate. I cycle outdoors under 10 MPH, my heart rate was up to 165 when I began and now as I'm more fit its around 135. But it has nothing to do, apparently, with calorie burn.

I like this calculator. http://www.bicycling.com/training/weight-loss/cycling-calories-burned-calculator
  • Francl27
    Options
    Yeah I'm going to try to crank up the resistance, but the issue being my legs, and really not my fitness level... I'm not sure it's really going to do any good if I can't last more than 20 minutes. We'll see...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm going to try to crank up the resistance, but the issue being my legs, and really not my fitness level... I'm not sure it's really going to do any good if I can't last more than 20 minutes. We'll see...

20 minutes of good training is worth far more than an hour of pointless training.

Your legs will adapt but to force the adaptation you need to get out of your comfort zone.
    What you might like to try is five minute intervals for half an hour, 5 mins easy / 5 mins hard.

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I burn a 100 calories sleeping I can assure you the 60 calorie burn is a mistake reading.. I have a stationary bike (350-450 calories in 60 min18-20 miles) and do spin bike (750 calorie burn 60 min 23-26 miles) classes totally different workouts..

I agree interval training advice here is one I created for a 45 min morning workout I love the light warm up longer cool down for post workout stretching

igbdatogk6bw.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    IDK...if you're burning more calories walking than on a stationary bike, I'd say you aren't challenging yourself and just kind of hanging out.

Also, a stationary bike is going to be different than spinning on a spin bike in a studio or cycling outside. A spin class will cycle you through various intervals of flats, hills, out of the saddle, in the saddle, etc. I have an indoor cycle trainer and I do virtual rides and have found numerous spin classes on YouTube...I crank out between 500-600 calories in an hour which is pretty much what I do outside. I've been cycling for years, so my legs are pretty well adapted to the load. My trainer/coach is also a cycling coach so I do a lot of stuff in the weight room that is geared towards making me a better cyclist.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just need to build up your endurance on the bike, I love doing intervals increasing resistance. My stats are similar to yours so it's not a massive burn but it's certainly more than 60 calories for 20 minutes
  • Francl27
    Options
    Well I'm challenging myself because it's hard on my legs, pretty much. I've improved a lot actually and can go much longer now... but after a couple days of that my legs are just SO tired and even on low resistance I can't do more than 14mph.

I usually do 15-22 miles at a time or something. Takes 1-1.5 hour.

I've done some interval but typically I just want mindless exercise on the bike while I watch TV and really don't want to have to focus on counting seconds. But yeah, I'll try to alternate resistances to start, that's a good idea.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I knew that it doesn't burn as much as walking

For the record, this has never been the case for me on an outdoor bike, except on the gentlest of rides.

Then leave the resistance where it is, and spin the pedals faster.

The amount of energy you're putting into the bike = resistance * rpms. You can adjust either of them to change the whole.
    Well I'm challenging myself because it's hard on my legs, pretty much.

Then ignore the advice to up the resistance, and up your cadence instead. Bikes let you move the workload between your legs and cardiovascular system. It sounds like your legs could maybe use strengthening but in the meantime you don't have to stop using your bike.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Well I'm challenging myself because it's hard on my legs, pretty much. I've improved a lot actually and can go much longer now... but after a couple days of that my legs are just SO tired and even on low resistance I can't do more than 14mph.

I usually do 15-22 miles at a time or something. Takes 1-1.5 hour.

I've done some interval but typically I just want mindless exercise on the bike while I watch TV and really don't want to have to focus on counting seconds. But yeah, I'll try to alternate resistances to start, that's a good idea.

I cycle only every other day, my legs are still not fully recovered in 2 full days. I'm on the one speed in my avatar, on primarily flat sidewalk for 12 miles in an hour and 20 (less than 10mph). I get more resistance in the form of headwinds sometimes. I would suggest more rest between cycles to give your legs a chance to fully recover. Pick something else to do if you want to. I alternate with upper body free weights.

I do NOT, based on my weight and speed, burn more than 400 calories in 80 minutes, based on the calculator I shared earlier, which I feel is fairly accurate. If I were able to go much faster 10-12 mph (not really possible to pedal faster on the flat without out spinning my pedals), I would get to my turn around point faster so it would shorten my time on the bike. Lets say to 60 minutes, and I would only gain 52 calories according to the calculator.

Use the calculator to get your potential calorie burn based on your stats. 90 minutes, 12-14 mph, and your weight. You'll probably find you burned more than your heart rate suggests.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Like what the others said, spinning and riding a stationary bike are two different things. I do both on a weekly basis, but if I'm doing a casual cycle, even if it's high intensity, I always log it as stationary bike, not spin.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I am using my own stationary bike more lately as well, and you can get your heart rate up if you crank the resistance. Getting your quads and whatnot moving and under tension will definitely raise your bpm. I get 300-350 for an hour of moderate cycling at about 115-120bpm (Apple Watch stats, but the bike also has a cal counter which counts surprisingly similar), but I have to make sure I'm pushing.