Meditation Meta

Alendralouise
Alendralouise Posts: 116 Member
We're all so different and we've all got different goals/challenges. These threads are fantastic.

There's something that could help with all of them...

I don't think I can take on another physical challenge right now, but what I do know is that meditation is good for everyone, whatever your goal. It can help you develop that mind-muscle in order to become more mindful and serene in daily life and more positive about challenges. Athletes of all sports/activities often use meditation to maintain a positive focus on both the training and the event itself. You can visualise your best performance during meditation and this can be a powerful progression tool. However you decide to do it (there's no one right way), just trying it for ten minutes a day can have huge benefits.

I have a competition in February and I challenge myself to meditate for a minimum of 10 minutes every day in the lead-up. I intend to keep going, but 6 weeks feels realistic for now.

Who's with me?

(In Portuguese, Spanish and Italian, "meta" means "goal". In English, the prefix comes from the Greek for "above/beyond/transcending." "Metta" is also the Buddhist term for unconditional love for all beings, and there are Buddhist meditations named after it.)

Replies

• Serenade_N
    Serenade_N Posts: 152 Member
    I'm in! Thanks for the diversity of challenge.
    Have tried meditation in past and loved what the act of it brought to mind and body.
    10 mins daily for 6 weeks? That's all of January till mid Feb around Valentine's Day?
    Perfect.
  • Alendralouise
    Yes! Great you're on board!! Im about to do mine for today
  • Alendralouise
    Day 1: 10 mins. Visualising a good lift in slow motion, and counting the breaths.
  • Serenade_N
    Hi alendralouise!
    You've started day 1 already!? Haha cool.
    Brilliant - will start tomorrow now.
  • Alendralouise
    Yeah I thought I'd just get on with it! Hope you feel good today.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    I meditate when I jog, in the sense that I focus on my breath and appreciate the natural environment around me (I run along bush trails).

For the only time during the day my mind is clear.
    The only other time I feel this zen is during times of adrenaline.

Great threat. Good reminder of holistic wellbeing.
  • Alendralouise
    Thank you- I completely get you- I do the same. I've wanted to up my game a bit and introduce a regular sitting practice when I'm not even moving as well as the day to day mindfulness such as that you enjoy. Where are your bush trails?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Australia :)

Hidden in suburbia but dense enough that I can't see houses. It's enough.
  • Serenade_N
    Hiya, had my first go after quite sometime of not meditating. Felt quite rusty. Good to have a space to practice this in now. Running meditation in bush trails sounds good-use to feel meditative in the pool whilst swimming lengths non competitively.
    Question alendralouise, have you a music tune in background to help?
  • klblue10
    klblue10 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm in
  • Alendralouise
    Serenade- I don't use music but try it and see if it works for you. If you go on YouTube there are lots of guided meditation tracks. Hope you're doing ok :)
  • Serenade_N
    Fabulous Alendralouise, thank you! Heard of your fabulous news feed. So inspiring.
    Will definitely check out YouTube for options.
    All the best and have a happy New Year's Eve!
  • Alendralouise
    Have a healthy, happy, productive 2017, beautiful.
  • Serenade_N
    Day 2: sat and tried to keep it simple and meditate.
  • Serenade_N
    Jan 3: going with the flow and no judgements of attempt of 5mins. Well trying is good.