C25K - What do you do on off days?

Options
I'm thinking of doing the C25K starting Jan 1. Using the treadmill plan. Currently I'm doing 25-35 minutes on the treadmill every morning, so what do you suggest I do on the off days of the C25K? Is it fine to walk (3 mph) on the off days?

2-3 days I'm also doing a beginners weight lifting but I do that after work. Plus I got a step for Christmas so I might do that a couple times a week.

My goal is to run a 5 K race in the spring. I'd like to get through the C25K with a 5 mph run speed, then do it again outside.

Thanks

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can walk but you don't have to do anything. C25k and lifting is a reasonable plan. If you're a new exerciser, don't get carried away trying to do too much.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You can walk but you don't have to do anything. C25k and lifting is a reasonable plan. If you're a new exerciser, don't get carried away trying to do too much.

Been walking on the treadmill almost daily for 3 months. Best so far is 4 mph for 18 minutes as part of a 25 minute session. Or 35 minutes of my treadmills intervals (up to 5 mph). I actually think I may start at week 2 of the C25K at this point.

What about just doing the week schedule every weekday? I'm enjoying the schedule of getting up at 5:15, going downstairs and getting on the treadmill daily and skipping days during the week may be tough.

Weekends are different and being off this week is different, but when working the regular schedule suits me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would not suggest running 5 days in a row when you are new to running.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What about just doing the week schedule every weekday?

If you really fancy an overuse injury...

The observation I'd make is that the plan is designed with rest days because whilst your cardiovascular fitness will improve rapidly the build up in your connective tissue does take longer. In the C25K forum you can see that people who follow the plan are generally successful, albeit sometimes they take longer. Those that choose to do their own thing frequently disappear after complaining about niggles and pain.

With respect to your original question, use the off days for resistance training, swimming, cycling. Those are all very complementary to the running.