Raw Vegan January 2017 Challenge

Options
babychris1
babychris1 Posts: 159 Member
Hi all,

My name's chris I'm 25 and live in London. I currently follow a vegan diet and have been for nearly 2 years.
In January I will be making the switch to raw veganism.

I prefer how I feel when i eat raw foods/meals, I can concentrate more and overall feel great. I've been doing a couple days here and their raw so shouldn't be too difficult. My bowels work better and I feel light on my feet.

I am currently 5'7 158lbs.

Basically this thread is for anyone else interested in joining me in January with the raw lifestyle, anyone interested in seeing how I get on or just any vegan peeps out there who want to add another friend.

I will document it day by day and should be interested, so don't be shy hit the friend button and come along with.

Chris :#

Replies

• babychris1
    Options
    Anyone...
  • effort4u
    effort4u Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Im not vegan but have been interested in the raw lifestyle for a few years. I would love to do this consistently for a full year.
  • effort4u
    effort4u Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck and hope you succeed!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It sounds all well and good, but most people end up with nutritional deficiencies in the long run. The ideological view point that cooking is harmful and "unnatural" is whack...we've been cooking for around 2 million years...

• babychris1
    Options
    Im not really against cooking and all that, just something Ive wanted to do for a long time.

Ive always felt great when I fast a day or 2 or only eat raw vegan, combined with my weight lifting for a month i doubt will do me any l9ng lasting damage..... wish me luck
  • babychris1
    Options
    effort4u wrote: »
    I wish you the best of luck and hope you succeed!

Thank you
    :smiley:
  • amadorlca
    amadorlca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Raw is just terrible... Eat a balanced plant based diet.
  • babychris1
    Options
    amadorlca wrote: »

Do you reckon, why?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    babychris1 wrote: »
    amadorlca wrote: »

Do you reckon, why?

Nutrient deficiencies...

http://www.livescience.com/26278-risks-raw-vegan-diet.html
  • rissawilliams
    rissawilliams Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Chris that's awesome. My cousin is a raw vegan and she looks and feels amazing. I tried it for a little while but stated back cooking. I will try this two days a week and see what kind of results I get. Can you suggest any raw fruits or veggies high in protein? Thanks
  • Natalied2509
    Natalied2509 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi @babychris1 How did you get on with raw January. I have been vegan for the last 2 years and eat raw off and on. I always feel my best eating raw but sometimes fall off the wagon. I have booked to go to the UK Fruit Fest this summer and I am going to make a big effort to eat very high raw until then. :)
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest you all watch Dr. Morse's video debunking nutritional deficiencies. Horses eat grass only and aren't deficient. Same for all animals. They don't cook or have a huge variety of foods to eat. If you feed you're body what it needs (fruits and vegetables) and avoid the rest which which causes inflammation, you're body can then use the food you eat and make the nutrients it needs out of it. Simply amazing. If you have a vitamin deficiency, this is simply a sign that your body is inflamed and it's internal processes cannot function properly so it ends up depleting it's stores of vitamins. Don't fix the symptom, fix the problem! :)
  • xmarye
    Options
    Raw veganism isn't for anyone. Everyone follows their own paths and some want to dig deeper and discover their true potential. It sure isn't easy to achieve nowadays, but the rewards will far exceed the efforts. I am currently transitioning into this lifestyle and preparing my body to start fasting. I hope to break free from my limitations and get to know my spiritual side as I learn to reconnect with my body. ❤
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    xmarye wrote: »
    I highly suggest you all watch Dr. Morse's video debunking nutritional deficiencies. Horses eat grass only and aren't deficient. Same for all animals. They don't cook or have a huge variety of foods to eat. If you feed you're body what it needs (fruits and vegetables) and avoid the rest which which causes inflammation, you're body can then use the food you eat and make the nutrients it needs out of it. Simply amazing. If you have a vitamin deficiency, this is simply a sign that your body is inflamed and it's internal processes cannot function properly so it ends up depleting it's stores of vitamins. Don't fix the symptom, fix the problem! :)
    Eh. I think the object to identify a healthy, enjoyable way of eating for humans and follow that. Not a healthy diet for horses. Besides, the care of horses is a bit more complicated than turning them out in a field and leaving them to it, and this mistaken belief is a huge factor in cases of horse neglect. For example, overgrazing, pasture with a poor balance of plant species, lactating mares with higher nutritional needs, spring grass versus late summer, etc.

Further, horses eat constantly. To be fair, they are adapted to eat constantly, and low-forage diets can lead to colic, which can kill. To be honest, they can't digest plant matter 100% effectively, to the extent it can be sometimes difficult to tell the difference between a pile of gently composting grass clippings, and an old pile of horse manure.
    can-stock-photo_csp2293906.jpg

I wouldn't want to live life like a horse. I'd never get anything else done.

I'm not saying that a raw vegan diet is impossible (although I would find it personally unbearable), I'm just saying that using any species of herbivore as an example without considering the overall context of their digestive system and lifestyle could be misleading.

Yours sincerely,
    Helium, horse lover and follower of a plant-based diet, eating cooked vegan food since 1987. ;)

For more expert information on horse care, please see these links: http://www.thehorse.com/articles/13696/pasture-grass-the-healthy-choice
    http://www.thehorse.com/articles/33228/digestion-in-the-horse

• xmarye
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

First of all, that's amazing that you have been vegan for all of these years. I highly respect you in this concern and your experience.

I was just using the (wild) horses as an example. We are closer to primates actually.

I'm not saying that you or anyone should eat exclusively raw. I am just experimenting with how far I can go and how healthy and vibrant my health can be. It's all about balance in the end, but I am just starting and I am passionate about health and I want to at least be able to say that I have experienced it. Right now, I am going full force eating exclusively raw, and I will also start juicing soon. All of this is in preparation for starting a fast (not for everyone, but definitely an experience in itself). I do believe that food can bring us closer to god if we let it.

Dr. Morse has proven it over and over again having cured people with ''incurable'' chronic diseases and cancer that the nutrition is the most powerful medicine. Fruits have the highest potential for giving us vitality. Second are vegetables, but we don't grind our food like herbivores do, nor do we have multiple stomach, to digest properly cellulose. This is why juicing is a great way to access a lot of vitamins and nutriments with minimum effort processing it from the body.

There is so much to say on this subject. I have seen my dad experimenting himself with raw veganism and fasting when I was young and it really sparked something in me. And look at me... 10 years later I am following my own path and living it. I will probably once I fasted ease myself back into eating with juices, then fruits and veggies and build from there. I will probably end up eating mostly fruits, salads, smoothies and juices, and baked potatoes, vegetable soups and things like that (especially since I live in Canada and the winter is brutal!!). But I do believe that raw live foods should be most of my diet. It just makes sense to me.

Anyway, here's a video that explains it well:
    Dr. Morse - Everything you need to know about food
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZN3HGiS4zw&t=1s
  • ButICouldNeverBeRaw
    ButICouldNeverBeRaw Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I often eat high raw and sometimes fully raw. Would love to connect with others who are supportive of this lifestyle. Vegan, of course. Thank you
  • ttiger33
    ttiger33 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have been eating raw vegan pretty much when I slide back into the SAD lifestyle i don't feel all that great afterwards. Looking for those who are supportive of the RAw life