Is not being sore after a workout bad?

Options
So I just started lifting weights at the gym last week and have gone 4 days and worked out different muscles each day.. I'm completly new to this so I was expecting to be really sore the next day after each workout but I'm really not.. I mean I can kind of feel a tiny bit of soreness but it's not even enough to really notice much. Yesterday I did legs and did squat press, weighted lunges, squats with a barbell and deadlifts. I was expecting to be so sore but I barely have a tiny bit of soreness in my butt. That's it. I've been going with my husband and he's doing the same exercises and he's so sore he can barely walk. What am I doing wrong? When I do the exercise I do the maximum weight I can correctly and I try to do as many reps as I can until I can't anymore and I'm tired when I'm done so what's the deal...

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    You are not doing anything wrong. Soreness is only an indicator that you are using muscles that you haven't used in a while. If this is all new to your husband, then maybe that's why he's so sore. Some people get sore and some people don't. It doesn't mean you're not working out hard enough. If you've been exercising prior to this, that could explain why you're not sore.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Lucky you!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I do find it odd that you aren't sore being new to lifting. Soreness (DOMs) is generally a result of underutilized muscles being used. This would indicate to me that you've either been doing some other workouts that utilize these muscles or you perhaps have an active job that utilizes those muscles.

Generally speaking, soreness isn't really an indicator of whether a workout is good or not...once one becomes accustomed to the workout, DOMs goes away...but yeah, it's a bit odd if you haven't been doing anything and you're just starting out and not sore.

It could also be that the weight you are using is too light to really stress the body like that...which is ok too...always good to work on form first...but ultimately, your last couple of reps should be quite challenging to get up.

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    After my first few workouts where I used light weights and focused on form, I did not hurt. Now a week or two later, I've got my form down but have upped the weights, and things are starting to feel it.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It might hit you tomorrow.

As was said, it's not bad if you aren't sore. In fact it's better to not be.

By the way, make sure you're following a proven beginner's strength program designed by a pro. Doing a 4-day body part split is not ideal for beginners. Full-body is usually best to start with. :+1:
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you're doing what you are supposed to be doing based on the program you're following, there's nothing wrong with not feeling sore and you needn't worry about. Programs like Starting Strength and Stronglifts tbat start w/only a bar and add weight to it in small increments are least likely to cause soreness.

If you're not following a particular program and are just doing what you feel like doing, you're probably just not doing enough to make your muscles feel sore. Nothing necessarily wrong with this either, except that you may not be promoting strength development in an efficient and organized way.
  • lizzynose
    lizzynose Posts: 24 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jealous! I did a kettle bell workout for the first time two days ago and I can't walk down stairs and am in so much pain! I feel like a feeble old lady. Any one got any recommendations for a workout I can do to help me? I read light cardio but my legs and my arms are useless I can't run, only shuffle! Maybe Pilates or yoga?

I had to get my boyfriend to tie my shoelaces for me in the supermarket :-( the shame!!