Quitting smoking?

Options
Diet and exercise are huge components of physical fitness and I've gotten a pretty good handle on both of them (down 82 pounds). Quitting smoking is the next hurdle that I MUST take on.

Is there anyone else newly quit? Getting ready to quit? If there is any interest I would love to put together a group for motivation and support of quitting smoking.

Replies

• tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I would head over to quitnet.com. They have been instrumental in my quit. It is absolutely possible to quit and not gain. I've only been quit for 80+ days but I'm solid in my quit and what I've learned on quitnet has been invaluable.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    tahxirez wrote: »
    I would head over to quitnet.com. They have been instrumental in my quit. It is absolutely possible to quit and not gain. I've only been quit for 80+ days but I'm solid in my quit and what I've learned on quitnet has been invaluable.

I gave up 15 years ago with the help of quitnet. Think it's changed a lot since then but I couldn't have quit without it!
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll check out quitnet and congrats on your 80+ days!
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    cabwj wrote: »
    Thanks! I'll check out quitnet and congrats on your 80+ days!

Thanks! I hope to see you over there :)
  • 76thrasher
    76thrasher Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second day of not smoking. I'll have to check out quitnet. I'm hoping this time it sticks. I quit for a few months this past summer but then fell into old habits.
  • SammieCosme
    SammieCosme Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I quit but I vape now so im only getting nicotine and at the lowest mg. I did not gain weight when I quit. If anything I lost weight I recently had a set back and smoked a whole pack in two days but now im back to my vape and no withdrawal thank god for that.
  • yasiral
    yasiral Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Quitnet used to be so good. Helped me a lot. But then they changed the website and now it is no where as good as it used to be.
  • cabwj
    Options
    I've seen people on Quitnet mentioning how it used to be different. The way it is now is the only way I've seen it. It is helping me though.

I'd still like to find a community group here on MFP for support and discussion about quitting while working on food and exercise goals.
  • gatamadriz
    gatamadriz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Mindifi has a stop smoking hypnosis app which worked for me. I thinking was under $5 US.
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking is not easy! I smoked heavily for many years and attempted to quit many times. Tried the patches, gum, hypnosis and group therapy (gum and the patches several times each.)

What finally worked for me was Chantix, I've been smoke free for over four years now. It does require a doctor's prescription and it's not inexpensive, but it works for many people.

Whatever method you use to quit, please give it your best shot. Cigarettes will kill you!
  • cabwj
    Options
    Oh yeah, I'm good, my quit is strong. Thanks!
  • TeachingT
    TeachingT Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    demoman805 wrote: »
    I switched to vaping and tapered Down for a few months. I was then able to get away from the chemical addiction and really just had to kick the small routine triggers. It wasn't too bad. I haven't smoked in about a year.

I currently vape. Just stepped down to 6mg of nicotine and hope to go 0mg next time. Then it's just kicking the need (or habit) of inhaling. I haven't had an actual cigarette in 2 years.
  • TeachingT
    TeachingT Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    @demoman805 congrats on kicking the habit completely!
  • cabwj
    Options
    @teachingt 2 years is awesome!
  • CoachBrafford
    CoachBrafford Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cabwj wrote: »
    Diet and exercise are huge components of physical fitness and I've gotten a pretty good handle on both of them (down 82 pounds). Quitting smoking is the next hurdle that I MUST take on.

Is there anyone else newly quit? Getting ready to quit? If there is any interest I would love to put together a group for motivation and support of quitting smoking.

I can help... maybe. But overall yes. 5 yrs ago stopped smoking... 6 months ago stopped dipping (yes i know but I was Army Infantry and deployed alot so :-)

I stopped by using gum. I picked a time (say 10am) and I could not have gum before that time. After that time it was as much as I wanted.
    When that got easy, I would move it back as hr.

One day (by now I was using just 1 before bed) I forgot, and was off to the races.

hope it helps
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking six months ago, never thought I could do it! I started smoking at 13 and now I'm 39. When I quit, I honestly did not even want to, I had to in order to get my prophylactic bilateral Masectomy done. I'm so glad I quit and like anything else you take it one day at a time. I quit cold turkey..I have tried to quit several times in the past which I did with my pregnancies but as the moment I had my kids, I started back up again. Yes, at first you may have a hard time but It gets easier. After I quit smoking and have since been recovering from these surgeries I've had, I've put on about 15 pounds. I am just getting into the gym and let me tell you how much easier it is for me to breathe! Today I even ran .5 miles which doesn't sound like a lot, but The gym is going to be my vice. I never thought I'd be on this end of the fence and I honestly never thought I'd be able to quit in a million years. On New Years I debated on smoking a cigarette thinking....heck its New Years! I'm having a drink, why not have a smoke? I could not even light it! Yay me
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It cut off the rest of my message, I ended it with you can do it, you just have to tell yourself you were going to, I wish you the best of luck!❤
  • CoachBrafford
    CoachBrafford Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    EllaLeahB wrote: »
    On New Years I debated on smoking a cigarette thinking....heck its New Years! I'm having a drink, why not have a smoke? I could not even light it! Yay me

That's the hardest part, at a party or a long drive. Also what to do with your hands when you stop... and how you noticed you had more breaks at work when you smoked :-)

• shiley393
    shiley393 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started a weight loss/workout routine on Nov. 3. I quit smoking with the patches this past Monday. I am doing very well with both. I worked out for 5 4 minutes this morning and it kept me busy and smoke-free. Good luck to all us losers and quitters!