Dumb question about carbs.

Options
2»

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Barilla gluten free pasta is made from corn and tastes better than any other I have tried. I have celiac so I have tried pretty much all of it. However it is not low carb. Stick with the spaghetti squash, which lower carb, but still tasty.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Black bean pasta but it still has 17 g carbs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/explore-asian-organic-black-bean-spaghetti-313535019

I suggest you learn to eat your pasta with a quarter your usual amount with more sauce and meat. Eat and savour.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Gluten free pasta takes out the protein.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Gluten free pasta takes out the protein.

Usually GF products just use other flours or starches. It's pretty impossible to make a glute containing product GF without distilling it.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Don't go low carb it's stupid...like are going to forever? If not don't bother

Low carb isn't "stupid". It is a WOE that is highly beneficial to people with certain medical conditions and yes, it is sustainable. I do agree that going low carb for a "diet" isn't beneficial. It is a WOE, not something that you do to drop pounds and then stop following. If you are serious about going low carb and staying there you will need to examine if this fits the way you want to live. And being low carb doesn't mean that carbs are off the table--it means you are eating to a certain macro ratio. I eat bread, pasta, potatoes, onion rings, ice cream and pizza. I just eat them in moderation with my goals in mind. I eat ONE truffle instead of a half dozen. I eat two slices of pizza and a salad instead of 3 slices. I have a scoop of ice cream instead of 2 or 3.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    ebrass73 wrote: »
    Is there such thing as a carb-less pasta? (besides the veggie type, obviously... like spaghetti squash) I am going low-carb starting on the 1st, but have an absolute love for pasta and will have a really hard time giving it up. I feel dumb asking this, but what exactly does gluten-free pasta take out? Are there brands or varieties out there?

Enjoy your pasta, but watch your portion sizes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

The same can be said for any way of eating.. Vegan, vegetarian, whatever!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Low carbohydrate diets aren't for everyone (they certainly aren't for me), but I think it's ridiculous to call them stupid. For people with medical conditions that are improved by restricting carbohydrates, they're great. And for people who find that reducing carbohydrates makes it easier to stay in a deficit, it can be a great tool for weight management (providing they're okay with reducing their carb intake).
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options

Please tell me what is "stupid" about someone choosing a WOE that can be beneficial to their health.

Folks who are diabetic tend to eat low carb/keto. But they're stupid, aren't they?

Those with celiac disease avoid gluten. Idiots!

All of us on MFP eat in the method that helps us best adhere to our goals, lifestyle, and any possible medical conditions. What a bunch of morons we are!!!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    No carb free pasta, but there are plenty of pasta out there that works well with MFP eating plans. I use a lot of Bartolli veggie pasta, for instance. There's a high fiber pasta that's 150 calories a serving that tastes pretty good.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Pick one:

Low/no carb
    Pasta
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I've been eating shirataki noodles for years. I don't miss real pasta...because boxed pasta isn't real anyway. If I want real pasta I go get it handmade and eat it with browned butter and sausage and wine and don't gaf about calories/carbs.

On the day to day, I need a LOT of food and shirataki does the trick. Even less calories than spaghetti squash for the amount I need to eat (at least 400g).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Low carbohydrate diets aren't for everyone (they certainly aren't for me), but I think it's ridiculous to call them stupid. For people with medical conditions that are improved by restricting carbohydrates, they're great. And for people who find that reducing carbohydrates makes it easier to stay in a deficit, it can be a great tool for weight management (providing they're okay with reducing their carb intake).

Yes, this.

I'd add that lowering carbs can be an easy way to cut calories even if you don't intend to do it forever.

For example, I consider the protein part of my meal and the vegetable part things I wouldn't cut if cutting calories. So that leaves fat and the starchy side, as well as snacky things, which for many are often a combination of fat and carbs. One simple way to cut calories is to cut snacky things (down, doesn't mean out entirely) and to cut down on starchy sides or eat them only at some meals. If you do that, you are probably doing some sort of low carb diet, and certainly cutting carbs.

I often cut fat because I tend to use more fat than I need at meals when not counting (cheese or butter/oil, olives, pinenuts, stuff like that), but in moderation these things add a lot to flavor and satisfaction, so if doing a 1200 calorie diet or some such I'd only cut them so much and prefer to cut starchy sides, which I personally would miss less.

Others would miss them more, and for them low carbing might not be a good idea.

Something extreme like keto wouldn't work for me, I don't think (although I might try it out of curiosity), but it certainly does for others, and isn't stupid for them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yes, this.

I'd add that lowering carbs can be an easy way to cut calories even if you don't intend to do it forever.

For example, I consider the protein part of my meal and the vegetable part things I wouldn't cut if cutting calories. So that leaves fat and the starchy side, as well as snacky things, which for many are often a combination of fat and carbs. One simple way to cut calories is to cut snacky things (down, doesn't mean out entirely) and to cut down on starchy sides or eat them only at some meals. If you do that, you are probably doing some sort of low carb diet, and certainly cutting carbs.

I often cut fat because I tend to use more fat than I need at meals when not counting (cheese or butter/oil, olives, pinenuts, stuff like that), but in moderation these things add a lot to flavor and satisfaction, so if doing a 1200 calorie diet or some such I'd only cut them so much and prefer to cut starchy sides, which I personally would miss less.

Others would miss them more, and for them low carbing might not be a good idea.

Something extreme like keto wouldn't work for me, I don't think (although I might try it out of curiosity), but it certainly does for others, and isn't stupid for them.

Yes, I'm kind of skeptical of the "Don't do it to lose weight if you don't want to do it forever" saying. On the one hand, I agree that it is important to have a plan to maintain weight loss and I do think that maintaining is much easier if you're practicing the skills you'll need while actually losing weight. That's why so many things that are faddy fail -- because they make a diet something you go on of and off.

On the other hand, I do all sorts of things when I'm trying to create a deficit that I don't do when I'm maintaining. I'll skip rice when I go out for Indian food, I drink my coffee black, I will use a lettuce wrap instead of bread for a sandwich, etc. I have no intention of doing these things *forever*, they're just ways to cut the calories temporarily. As long as someone understands why cutting carbohydrates works for them, I don't really see the issue with temporarily cutting them. It can be just a trick to reduce calories (and now that I think about it, most of the things I cut *are* carbohydrate-rich -- I don't cut them for the carbs, but because they fall in that sweet spot of having enough calories to make a difference and I don't miss them that much).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I've been eating shirataki noodles for years. I don't miss real pasta...because boxed pasta isn't real anyway. If I want real pasta I go get it handmade and eat it with browned butter and sausage and wine and don't gaf about calories/carbs.

On the day to day, I need a LOT of food and shirataki does the trick. Even less calories than spaghetti squash for the amount I need to eat (at least 400g).

While nothing beats homemade pasta, there is definitely a time and a place for dry durum wheat pasta, lots of Italians eat it and that al dente texture goes so well with certain sauces ;) . I love it.. sometimes homemade pasta is just too heavy.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »

While nothing beats homemade pasta, there is definitely a time and a place for dry durum wheat pasta, lots of Italians eat it and that al dente texture goes so well with certain sauces ;) . I love it.. sometimes homemade pasta is just too heavy.

Yeah. I get it. I personally don't "need" it though.