Making it count this time

Options
Brianna716
Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
edited December 2016 in Getting Started
I once again find myself at a new all time high weight. MFP has helped me lose weight before but I always fall off track and the pounds come back on and bring new friends.

I've used food scales and tracked calories accurately, lifted weights and added cardio. If I continue like my prior attempts, I'm setting myself up for failure.

Those that have yo yo'd before and stuck with it long term finally, what helped you change?

Replies

• Brianna716
    Options
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    You have to lose weight with a plan that you're willing to live with as a new lifestyle. Find an exercise you enjoy and can see yourself doing long-term into maintenance. Eat foods you're willing to stick with, but allow the occasional treat meal. When you reach maintenance, establish a weight
    range, +/- a few pounds, which gives you an upper weight that you will not go past. You can do this, you just need a long-term strategy. Good luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I worked on mindset and environment as well as habits. I stopped getting on and off horses and tracks and wagons, instead I started to think, feel, eat and move like a normal weight person. I stopped trying to exercise, and started moving every day. I stopped worrying about "eating healthy", and started eating all the foods I like, but in appropriate amounts. I eat meals again. I have been cooking more. I plan my meals better. My life isn't a battle against my own body anymore, I just live.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Self proclaimed professional yoyo'er here...

I stopped "dieting"
    I eat what I want within my calorie goal - no restrictions
    Weight loss is for ME not an event (wedding, vacation)
    Number on the scale does not derail my efforts
    Going over my calorie goal on occasion does not derail my efforts
    I played with my macros to help find foods that are satisfying.
    I have fitness/weight goals
    I take feedback from the mfp forums regardless of how it's presented

All that to say as long as you don't give up, you will accomplish your goals.

Get after it girl!

good luck.
  • Brianna716
    Options
    That's how I've gone about it in the past- no restrictions as long as it fit my calories. Tried to get macros within an OK range.

My only regular exercise is walking the dog, which is a relatively new thing for me as I only got her a few months ago.

I know for sure that I really dislike running and will never stick with it long term, but beyond that I'm not sure what actually will work for me.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Brianna716 wrote: »
    That's how I've gone about it in the past- no restrictions as long as it fit my calories. Tried to get macros within an OK range.

My only regular exercise is walking the dog, which is a relatively new thing for me as I only got her a few months ago.

I know for sure that I really dislike running and will never stick with it long term, but beyond that I'm not sure what actually will work for me.

Basically in a nut shell...not giving up.

I can't run either. I walk my Australian Shepherd and I just started a body strength exercises at home with an online trainer (which you can do without but I want to look like I work out and need the extra help:).

For me this is a mind game. The math is simple - eat less than you burn (which you can do without any exercise but I don't recommend it). But the mind has the ability to sabotage a very simple thing.

I have to work on my negative thoughts - I can't, I don't know how, this is to hard etc. I basically work really hard to change my thinking on food/exercise. Thus my avatar:).
  • Brianna716
    Options
    Thanks! My last curveball was last year while my mom was hospitalized for a month an hour away. I pretty much lived on hospital food and got no exercise that whole month. And once she came home I was so busy taking care of her that I neglected myself.

I sure hope I won't face another situation like that anytime soon, so I should really have no reasons to not keep with it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    losing weight is all about a calorie deficit. you dont need to exercise to lose weight, but exercise is for health. if you dont want to gain it back, you have to tell yourself its a lifestyle and once you lose the weight you want,you then have to find a way to maintain it.how you do that is up to you. if you dont like to run,dont run find activities you like to do and do those things,you just have to want to keep the weight off and do what it takes to accomplish that.for me That may mean weighing food the rest of my life but Im ok with that.But sometimes things in life get in the way,and we just have to do the best we can until we can focus on ourselves again.