Fitbit Flex: love it?

Options
Just ordered one last night online. Wow! You have to wait 8 weeks on Amazon to get one. They must be popular! I was able to get one sent to Best Buy within a week or so. What do you guys think? Love it or not?

Replies

• coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I love it! So much easier, I was constantly double checking to see if I dropped the old or looking for a clever place to wear it when wearing a dress.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'll be checking this thread because I just bought one for my son through Brookstone (with a Groupon!) for his birthday in September. There was a wait of several weeks so I bought early to be safe. :)

I have a Fitbit One and have used it regularly since Christmas. I love it! My only concern with it is that when I run it doesn't seem to keep an accurate distance. It seems fine when I walk (my steps and the steps it is counting are right on) but when I finish a run the Fitbit is showing a distance that is about 2/3 to 3/4 of what my GPS shows. It might have something to do with the fact that I run intervals but I don't know that for a fact. Has anyone else noticed this with either Fitbit?
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I found one in stock at Target, and ours down in Georgia seem to have plenty in stock. I love my original Fitbit Ultra but I just did not like the Flex and I really wanted to. Maybe I just got a dud, but it wouldn't hold a charge, would say it was fully charged then I would go to check it the next day and it was dead! Also, the silent alarm only worked occasionally. I didn't have any problems with the pedometer and it seemed accurate. Since my old version still worked I just went back to using it. I was charging the flex every 2-3 days and with the Ultra it is only once every week week & a half.
  • just_me_mindy
    just_me_mindy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have the flex and I love it. I live in Canada so we had to get a relative in the states to buy it for us and mail it. It is so handy with keeping me in check to make sure I walk 10K steps a day and what my calories burnt and my activity time up. I definitely recommend it but I wouldn't rely on it heavily. That being said, I workout with a HRM so I can get a bette reading of what I burn during my exercises.
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'll be checking this thread because I just bought one for my son through Brookstone (with a Groupon!) for his birthday in September. There was a wait of several weeks so I bought early to be safe. :)

I have a Fitbit One and have used it regularly since Christmas. I love it! My only concern with it is that when I run it doesn't seem to keep an accurate distance. It seems fine when I walk (my steps and the steps it is counting are right on) but when I finish a run the Fitbit is showing a distance that is about 2/3 to 3/4 of what my GPS shows. It might have something to do with the fact that I run intervals but I don't know that for a fact. Has anyone else noticed this with either Fitbit?

I am not sure but I think there may be a way to measure your run stride and change that in the FitBit settings.

Edit: Yes if you go to settings, body info, there is an option to put in your walk and run stride. This will make it more accurate.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I am not sure but I think there may be a way to measure your run stride and change that in the FitBit settings.

Edit: Yes if you go to settings, body info, there is an option to put in your walk and run stride. This will make it more accurate.
    Thanks. I have my run stride set and it's not really that much longer than my walk stride because I have short legs and I run for distance not speed. My understanding of how the Fitbit is supposed to work, however, is that it measures the distance you move and then divides by your stride to give you your step count and it's the distance that's off. For example, I'll go on a run that I KNOW is three miles and my GPS confirms that it's 3 miles but the Fitbit will show 2.25 miles.
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I got a flex from a store Hervey Norman for 110 Australian, I love my flex had it about 3 weeks now, its simply a part of me these days. Its waterproof so looking forward to when it gets to summer and I can swim with it :) It makes me move more, Enjoy ! Now I'm off for a run ;)
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for probably 6 weeks. I had a Fitbit One before and it worked fine, but I COULD NOT remember to put it on all the time. I was always digging trough the laundry to find it and would miss half or whole days of wearing it. I wish the Flex had an altimeter too, but that tradeoff is actually well worth having one that's comfortable and easy to wear 100% of the time.

I've needed to charge it maybe once a week. It sync's well, is easy to use... no complaints at all.
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone can help me ~ I was excited to get a fitbit flex yesterday, signed up on their website, but than when I went to sync to my laptop I got an error and my dashboard reads "no devices paired". So it's not logging my steps :sad:

I even tried to uninstall and start all over again ~ no good.

I tried calling customer service, closed til Monday. I searched & searched their help site, no luck. I wrote a message on fitbit website asking for help, no reply. I'm so disappointed & frustrated that I feel ready to just return it to Best Buy tomorrow and give up :angry:

Any help?? I admit I'm not savvy with electronics & such.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    :heart: it! Never take it off except to charge it. My husband wants one now.
  • Woxer
    Woxer Posts: 2
    Options
    At the time of posting, Amazon is selling Fitbit Flex for about $152.27 (plus $6.49 S&H), and REI is selling them for $99.95 (free shipping since over $50, AND you get 10% back for being an REI member). Of course I went with REI, but had to ship since they were sold out in the store I went to. I was excited to read MyFitnessPal was compatible with Jawbone Up, but this article is what made me want a Fitbit Flex http://allthingsd.com/20130715/fitbit-flex-vs-jawbone-up-and-more-a-wearables-comparison/. Looking forward to trying it out, and happy REI has such a great return policy in case it doesn't work well (the customer service lady said she had two "duds" returned the day I asked about it.
  • sphinxagain
    Options
    I was excited to read MyFitnessPal was compatible with Jawbone Up, but this article is what made me want a Fitbit Flex http://allthingsd.com/20130715/fitbit-flex-vs-jawbone-up-and-more-a-wearables-comparison/.

Just so folks are aware, the Jawbone UP will not sync with a computer or 90% of phones. It's good with a selection of the newest Android 4 phones only, with Bluetooth 4.0. (oh, and i-stuff, if you're into that.) So if you have an older smartphone the Jawbone UP will be useless. The very promising Amiigo is the same story I believe. Actually I think the Amiigo is only compatible with like 3 models of Samsung phones only. So that leaves you with Fitbit Flex or Basis, which isn't shipping yet except for those of us on the waiting list. (Months later, I'm *still* waiting.) Which pretty much leaves you with Fitbit for a wrist form activity monitor at this time.

Anyway, I'm really tempted to get the Flex myself, I keep scouring reviews from folks here and everywhere to decide if it's worth it. :)
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Mine should arrive on the 23rd ! I'm very excited and can't wait to use it.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Thanks. I have my run stride set and it's not really that much longer than my walk stride because I have short legs and I run for distance not speed. My understanding of how the Fitbit is supposed to work, however, is that it measures the distance you move and then divides by your stride to give you your step count and it's the distance that's off. For example, I'll go on a run that I KNOW is three miles and my GPS confirms that it's 3 miles but the Fitbit will show 2.25 miles.

Fitbit takes the number of steps and estimates distance based on your stride, so if your distance is off by that much you need to tweak your running stride more. It would be so much easier if it had GPS. With my Ultra my walking stride was accurate (checked it on a track) but later realized my running stride was way off. I ran a 5K course so I knew that I had gone 3.1 miles but my Fitbit gave me credit for going over 4. I haven't tested it on my Flex.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    At the time of posting, Amazon is selling Fitbit Flex for about $152.27 (plus $6.49 S&H), and REI is selling them for $99.95 (free shipping since over $50, AND you get 10% back for being an REI member). Of course I went with REI, but had to ship since they were sold out in the store I went to. I was excited to read MyFitnessPal was compatible with Jawbone Up, but this article is what made me want a Fitbit Flex http://allthingsd.com/20130715/fitbit-flex-vs-jawbone-up-and-more-a-wearables-comparison/. Looking forward to trying it out, and happy REI has such a great return policy in case it doesn't work well (the customer service lady said she had two "duds" returned the day I asked about it.

Pretty irritated that Amazon is gouging people like that. I bought mine at Best Buy for $99. Amazon (and their affiliate companies) are taking advantage of the fact that they're back-ordered in so many places. They're also charging over $50 for the other color wristbands that retail at $30.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Maybe someone can help me ~ I was excited to get a fitbit flex yesterday, signed up on their website, but than when I went to sync to my laptop I got an error and my dashboard reads "no devices paired". So it's not logging my steps :sad:

I tried calling customer service, closed til Monday. I searched & searched their help site, no luck. I wrote a message on fitbit website asking for help, no reply. I'm so disappointed & frustrated that I feel ready to just return it to Best Buy tomorrow and give up :angry:

In addition to signing up on their website you also have to download Fitbit Connect on your computer and go through the steps to pair your Flex to your account. At the end you'll get a box on the screen saying the device was found and the pairing was complete. You also have to have the dongle plugged into your USB in order for it to sync - I keep mine plugged in all the time.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options

In addition to signing up on their website you also have to download Fitbit Connect on your computer and go through the steps to pair your Flex to your account. At the end you'll get a box on the screen saying the device was found and the pairing was complete. You also have to have the dongle plugged into your USB in order for it to sync - I keep mine plugged in all the time.

thanks! I did download fitbit connect on to my pc and went thru the steps. But obviously I messed up someplace or else maybe my laptop just won't handle it? I'm going to call their customer service tomorrow. I appreciate your reply Lepert :)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    If its not too late to cancel- the Bodymedia Fit is more accurate.
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I love mine ... wear it all the time! It actually looks very much like a bracelet and goes with everything I wear .. couldn't love it more :smile: