What Bathroom Scale Do You Use?

Options
So my ten dollar Sunbeam scale is giving me a different weight every time I step on it, even with just seconds in between zeroing and taking a weight. As a result, I'm beginning to consider getting something nicer, or at least more reliable. I am definitely looking at Amazon models and reviews, but I specifically wanted to hear thoughts from a community of people also focused on weight loss/maintenance. What bathroom scale do you use/recommend and why?

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Aria. I like it because it syncs up to Fitbit and Trendweight through wifi. Pricey though. I received mine as a gift. Have you tried changing the battery in your scale? Mine was giving me weird numbers after it had been nagging about needing a new battery for a month.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I went on Ebay and ordered a bathroom scale under the name "Electronic LCD Digital Bathroom Body Weight Scale Tempered Glass with Battery."
    1) It's cheap (<$20 WITH shipping), 2) Once I calibrate it on a flat surface, it spits out a reading in .2 lb increments 3) It's accurate in that my weight shows fluctuations every day and when I tested it, the scale showed a higher weight when I had clothes on, gave the same number for multiple readings at the same time, and weighed dumbbells correctly, 3) It's holding strong after almost a year now, 4) It looks nice.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Aria. I like it because it syncs up to Fitbit and Trendweight through wifi. Pricey though. I received mine as a gift. Have you tried changing the battery in your scale? Mine was giving me weird numbers after it had been nagging about needing a new battery for a month.

I have the Fitbit Aria as well - I went on a bit of a Fitbit spending spree one year, and bought fitbits for myself and my husband, as well as the scale. It's treated us quite well for almost 4 years now. I absolutely love that it automatically syncs with MFP and Trendweight. I don't use a fitbit anymore since 3 of them broke on me in 3 years (right after the warranty expired), and 2 died for my husband. I've given that company WAY too much of my money. So I don't use the syncing with the fitbit website anymore, but when I did that was a nice feature.

The only thing is it GROSSLY overestimates my body fat as an apple-shaped female human. It says I'm over 50% fat, which is really not possible comparing myself to pictures + being measured by calipers and another impedence doohickey at the gym. If I switch my profile to male, it gives me 28% body fat, which is a much better match with the other methods.

So I would recommend the scale, but suggest you just ignore the body fat part. With that in mind, you may be able to pick another scale that doesn't pretend to measure that and be able to find an electronic syncing scale for much cheaper.
  • CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    Options

I changed the batteries two months ago. It's extremely low tech and doesn't have any kind of low-battery light; I'll try swapping the battery with a new one and seeing if that helps! Thanks for the advice!

And thanks everyone else for the scale recommendations so far--very helpful and keep them coming!
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    The Withings WS-30 and WS-50 get really good reviews also.... I have a scale I bought at Aldi and it is very reliable, results in 0.2 increments. When it dies I think I'll get one of the Withings or the Fitbit Aria.

I think I we are lucky with our Fitbits, or maybe it is because we have the Fitbit One which doesn't get worn on the wrist? I have had mine almost 3 years, DH has had his 2 years, and dad has had this a year.... all still work like new.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I got this one from Amazon. It's pretty basic but consistent. I am happy with it and the price! https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M7B5IHA/ref=mp_s_a_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1483054378&sr=8-6&keywords=eatsmart+scale