Struggling to lose weight.

My name is Bill I am 42 yrs old weight 310 lbs and need to lose 90 lbs. here is the kicker I am a runner and a triathlete and even through all of this training I still can not lose weight. Any suggestions?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I'm a runner and heavy training is actually the most challenging time for me to maintain my weight because I will get so hungry.

Are you logging your calories right now?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Yeah, as said above - you mention nothing about your diet. It is all about the deficit!
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    It all starts with your nutrition bud. Really take a hard look at what you're eating on a daily basis. Are you tracking your food intake? Are you hitting appropriate calorie and macro goals? Are you logging honestly? Are you eating enough/too much?
  • bgreen6252
    bgreen6252 Posts: 7 Member
    I am tracking what i eat and usually maintain the calorie goals for a 1.5 Lb a week weight loss. My sodium intake is high but i spend 4 months living out of a hotel room while on the road.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    How tall are you?

Are you aiming for too big a weekly weight loss?

A lot of people find that 0.5 - 1 lb per week loss makes it easier to stick to a calorie deficit. Better to take longer to lose it than not being able to stick to it.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    bgreen6252 wrote: »
    I am tracking what i eat and usually maintain the calorie goals for a 1.5 Lb a week weight loss. My sodium intake is high but i spend 4 months living out of a hotel room while on the road.

How do you measure the food? By weight? By volume? Eyeballing it? Do you also track all your drinks (except calorie-free ones)? Do you track condiments?
  • bgreen6252
    While I'm on the road i have to eyeball it and use the serving sizes listed as a guide. At home I weigh everything. I mostly drink water or crystal light, but i track the other stuff. I don't use a lot of condiments, but i don't track them. I'm 6ft 1 Orphia.

• bgreen6252
    I include my exercise calories in my daily allotment. Do you guys have any thoughts on that?
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I used to bike 150 km a week, worked construction and still didn't lose weight. Its all about the diet.
    Once I got my eating in check, it all fell into place.
  • Orphia
    bgreen6252 wrote: »
    I include my exercise calories in my daily allotment. Do you guys have any thoughts on that?

Hmm, losing 90 lbs would bring you down from "extreme obesity" to "overweight" using BMI as a general guide.

According to these guidelines, 2 lbs per week is appropriate for this rate of loss.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

A couple of points:

Eyeballing serving sizes is probably part of the problem. I know I'm always way under when I try to estimate food before weighing it! :smile:

With exercise calories, it's a good idea to eat back 50-75% of them. Eat more, and there's a risk the tracker overestimates your burn. Eat less, and you risk health problems from under-eating.

How long since you've lost weight? It's not a "plateau" unless it's over 6 weeks without losing, IMHO.

Remember, exercise and running can increase your water weight due to muscles needing to hold water for healing microtears from exercise. My weight went up 1 kg overnight after a run and a mountain climb yesterday! I'm not worried.

Best wishes, and good luck.
  • bgreen6252
    This has been ongoing for about 2 yrs now.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Try intermittent fasting. Has worked for me. See the following forums: 5:2, Intermittent Fasting, OMAD. Also could try a low carb diet or at least don't eat sugar if you currently are eating those things.
  • Orphia
    MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart%20a_zpsot9kdvnv.jpg