skin reduction surgery?

Options
As some of you know, I have lost quite a big of body fat over the last year and a half. I have spent this time building a lean, carved, athletic physique. My weight loss and body shaping was intentionally gradual as to allow the elasticity of the skin to naturally recover. However, despite my best efforts, there has enevitably been some "loose" excess skin that cant be reclaimed. (no... I wont show pics, so please dont ask).

Does anyone here know of a good surgeon or special therapy in Houston, or even the southeren/ central texas region, to recomend to me? Thanks.

Replies

• Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You might already be aware of this, and if so I'm sorry for wasting your time.

http://looseskinandweightloss.wetpaint.com/

14. Know your body fat percentage before even thinking about surgery. Loose skin is one thing, but still having a lot of body fat is another. Be honest with yourself and do that by taking your body fat measurement. This can be done with skinfold calipers or a variety of other devices (calipers might not be the best method if you have large folds of loose skin. Look into impedance analysis, underwater weighing, DEXA or Bod Pod).

Suppose for example, a man drops from 35% body fat all the way down to 20%. He should be congratulated, but I would tell him, "Don't complain about loose skin yet, your body fat is still high. Press onward and keep getting leaner and be sure to focus on strength training to increase lean body mass as well."

Average body fat for men is in the mid teens (16% or so). Average body fat for women is in the 20-25% range. Good body fat for men is 10-12%, and single digits is extremely lean. Men shouldn't expect to look "ripped" with 100% tight skin on the abs unless they have single digit body fat. Women shouldn't expect to have tight abdominal skin unless they are in the low to mid teens in body fat.

Except in extreme cases, you are actually unlikely to see someone with loose skin who has very low body fat and especially someone who has not just "lost weight" but has altered body composition by adding lean muscle as well. It's quite remarkable how much your skin can tighten up once your body fat goes from "average" to "excellent" and even more so when lean body mass increase. Someone with legitimate single digit body fat and a ton of loose skin is a rare sight.

So the key to getting tighter skin is to improve your body composition (muscle to fat ratio), and lose more body fat, slowly and sensibly, up to the point where your body composition rating is BETTER than average (in the "good" to "great" category, not just "okay"). Only AFTER you reach your long term body fat percentage goal should you give thought to "excess skin removal." At that point, admittedly, there are bound to be a few isolated cases where surgery is necessary if you can't live with the amount of loose skin remaining.

However, unless you are really, really lean, it's difficult to get a clear picture of what is loose skin, what is just remaining body fat and how much further the skin will tighten up when the rest of the fat is lost.
  • SisterC
    SisterC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this info...having lost 129# so far, I am concerned about loose skin once I reach my final goal...so far, it has been doing okay and only time will tell. I know that losing slowly has been very helpful in keeping the extra skin in check. Thanks again and now I am going out for another walk! Hugs, SisterC
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It is recommended that you wait 2yrs after you reach your goal weight before surgery. I do not know of any surgeons in your area but here are some links to help you find a good one. Please do your homework and find a qualified surgeon. They might charge more than someone who isn't qualified but your life is worth it. ANY doctor can call themselves a plastic surgeon after doing something as little as a weekend seminar.

http://www.plasticsurgery.org/
    https://www.abplsurg.org/ModDefault.aspx?section=ModHome
  • driver_10
    driver_10 Posts: 16
    Options
    Its as you said, Im aware of the time needed to wait for natural skin recovery. And Im aware that results must be stable and permanent before removal surgery can even be concidered. but concider this...

I reached my body goals about 1/2 a year ago. My body fat now hovers around 13% without any further anticipated loss. For me, It has been a total time investment of around 1' 1/2 years. A majority of the skin has recovered at this point from the gradual nature of my program as I stated prior. I have only one area (inner thighs) where skin has been damaged for the last 20 years and is unable to recover naturally.

I have no issue with waiting (even another two or three years if need be). However, reguardless of waiting, that skin is NOT going to recover on its own.

Im not a big advocate of surgery. If there were any other procedures to use then I would gladly opt otherwise.
  • candican
    candican Posts: 96
    Options
    From my understanding, once your skin is stretched out beyond a certain point, there's no treatment in the world that will make it bounce back. It will either be hanging there or you can get it surgically removed. As for the latter, I would do your research on the best medical centers and plastic surgeons in your area for this kind of thing. I wouldn't go on one to two person's recommendations on this site, which is just anecdotal. You want to find a practice that has board certified doctors with extremely well reputations.
  • AutumnNicolette
    Options
    I have had two children, and I am now 50 pounds over weight & have lose & saggy skin. I feel your pain. Saggy skin SUCKS. I am over here in Dallas, and plan to get some form of tummy tuck after I lose the weight. Can't wait. Good luck!!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I use these body wraps for tightening skin. It is not water loss weight like salon wraps. It gets your body to release the fat stored in the tissue and your lymph system passes it out of your body. Then your skin can tighten up because it is not being supported by full fat cells. Check them out! You are encouraged to drink water to help the process. It really helped me after having the kids and I use them once a week now to keep up with my weight loss (to tighten the skin as I go). Give it a try before you try reduction surgery!

http://www.itworks.net/trishadux
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!