What to prioritize? Working and going to college full time.

Options
2»

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My opinion:
    1. Caloric Intake - keep doing what you're doing and get some initial weight off.
    2. Sleep. Try to get 7 hours of sleep. Use the rest of the time to study.
    3. After you drop some weight and get into a good study pattern, add some activity to your day. Walking will be a good start.

May the force be with you!
  • DarthScabrous
    DarthScabrous Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I should clarify, I wasn't clear in the original post. I do have a YMCA membership, but I don't pay for it. My work pays for it, and all I have to do at the end of the year is show that I used it at least 5 times in a month. Great deal. And yeah, I try to strive for 2200 calories, BUT, I usually do go over, just because I know I need extra, so a couple of teaspoons of peanut butter throughout the day.

I've definitely noticed that there is a difference now between hungry, bored, and thirsty. I cut soda out about a week and a half ago, and carry around a RTIC tumbler, filling it up constantly. My water intake has increased a crazy amount. I'd say I'm usually drinking 128 oz a day, usually more. I've felt more alert definitely, and can tell that a lot of times that I felt hungry, it was actually because I was thirsty, and now I'm able to handle that.

I was thinking at the most an hour in the gym, either every other day, or every three days. Just either swimming or walking. I know I can at least walk 2 miles on a treadmill, which is surprising given my weight, but I honestly can. Only about a mile on the elliptical. Swimming is actually more difficult for me, I need to invest in swimming classes. I can swim, but I can't swim. Like, if a slow angry maneating turtle is coming for me, I should probably just stop and wait on him to catch up, because I'm not going to be fast enough to get away.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I should clarify, I wasn't clear in the original post. I do have a YMCA membership, but I don't pay for it. My work pays for it, and all I have to do at the end of the year is show that I used it at least 5 times in a month. Great deal. And yeah, I try to strive for 2200 calories, BUT, I usually do go over, just because I know I need extra, so a couple of teaspoons of peanut butter throughout the day.

I've definitely noticed that there is a difference now between hungry, bored, and thirsty. I cut soda out about a week and a half ago, and carry around a RTIC tumbler, filling it up constantly. My water intake has increased a crazy amount. I'd say I'm usually drinking 128 oz a day, usually more. I've felt more alert definitely, and can tell that a lot of times that I felt hungry, it was actually because I was thirsty, and now I'm able to handle that.

I was thinking at the most an hour in the gym, either every other day, or every three days. Just either swimming or walking. I know I can at least walk 2 miles on a treadmill, which is surprising given my weight, but I honestly can. Only about a mile on the elliptical. Swimming is actually more difficult for me, I need to invest in swimming classes. I can swim, but I can't swim. Like, if a slow angry maneating turtle is coming for me, I should probably just stop and wait on him to catch up, because I'm not going to be fast enough to get away.

You don't need to be the fastest person in the pool, you just need to be faster than the slowest - the turtle will catch the slower one :) Same applies when running from bears & etc. - as long as there's someone slower, you're fine!
  • DarthScabrous
    Options

You don't need to be the fastest person in the pool, you just need to be faster than the slowest - the turtle will catch the slower one :) Same applies when running from bears & etc. - as long as there's someone slower, you're fine!

Problem is I haven't found one yet lol
  • madperson42
    madperson42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the previous posters about food and sleep. I'm also studying, and grades come first, but i try and add in bits of quick exercise. Like if I have to walk somewhere, I walk quickly so im out of breath, or i take stairs rather than the lift etc. Another timesaving trick is doing high intensity workouts, which tend to last 30 mins. You can jse weights, or if there isnt much equipment, the good ol internet has plenty of bodyweight workouts to try. Might give you the exercise, while still giving enoigh time for other things.
  • vmsolko
    vmsolko Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started! I've never worked a full-time job while going to school, so I can only imagine how little free time you have.

It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. I agree with all the above advice: paying attention to food & water and getting adequate sleep. Figuring out actual portions and knowing when you're truly hungry vs bored or thirsty is HUGE. At least for me. I was the world's worst water drinker.

My only addition would be that maybe you could combine some of your priorities. Like reading/studying while walking on the treadmill or biking. Like someone said, you don't have to be going fast or burning like crazy. But you could work up from 10 or 20 minutes a day. Even if you're moving slow, you're still moving. And something is better than nothing. And you're able to get in some important studying at the same time.
    Best of luck to you!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, reducing calorie intake is the key for weight loss. Formal exercise would be a great addition but a bit difficult with your schedule.

What sort of factory job do you have? Some tend to be pretty physical, while others aren't much more active than an office job. You may be getting a fair amount of exercise from the job and can get by without formal exercise for now.

Best of luck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    If I were you, I'd concentrate on calorie intake to start. If you have some time for exercise, walking is good.

I suggest that you log what you eat for a week or two without making any changes. Caloried drinks, sauces, anything and everything with calories needs to be logged. You can then look back through to see where you might eat smaller portions and/or make lower calorie substitutions.
    THIS. Exercise is for fitness and health. Calorie deficit to lose weight. Sleep is an IMPORTANT factor for weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Should I do cardio, strength, or both? Or, should I worry only about food right now?

As others are suggesting, you'll lose weight by getting on top of your calorie balance, although I'd avoid going into a really aggressive deficit. You want this to be maintainable long term.

The value in using the YMCA facility now is habit forming. Worry about getting there within your schedule and doing something. Once the habit is ingrained then you get more from it.

Given your weight, walking on the dreadmill is perfectly reasonable, although I do think that you'll get a lot from learning to swim. Being in the water helps deal with your existing weight and it provides a balance of cardiovascular and strength building benefit.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

Problem is I haven't found one yet lol

Pfft, I was probably the slowest person at Orange Theory Fitness, and I still burned massive calories. :p
  • DarthScabrous
    Options
    I used to do the Stronglift 5x5, and saw good results, I think I'm going to try that. Less than 30 minutes, and I can treadmill at the end to end up with an hour. I'd only be in there 3 days a week, so that helps. BUT! Definitely going to get everything else straight before I start going to the gym constantly. Thank you all for the advice and encouragement, this is definitely a different feeling group compared to reddit. I really need to spend less time on there. Already got rid of Facebook, might as well let that be next.
  • DarthScabrous
    Options
    Also, I added myself to The Biggest Loser Monthly Challenge. That way, I have a team around me, and I'll be much more inclined to help them win. I'm a bit competitive.
  • madelinecamille
    madelinecamille Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Like most have said, focus on reducing caloric intake and make sure you're getting enough sleep. You can add exercise to your routine once you have more time on your hands and have become adept at counting calories.

*kitten* r/fitness. Head over to r/loseit instead. They have a lot of great tips in their sidebar and FAQ section, and there's no lack of supportive people.
  • DarthScabrous
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    As others have mentioned, reducing calorie intake is the key for weight loss. Formal exercise would be a great addition but a bit difficult with your schedule.

What sort of factory job do you have? Some tend to be pretty physical, while others aren't much more active than an office job. You may be getting a fair amount of exercise from the job and can get by without formal exercise for now.

Best of luck.

Factory job is I run machines assembling roller bearings for cars. I have to constantly fill the machine with shells, needles, and cages, as well as moving the finished boxes. Boxes range anywhere from 25lb to 75lb. There are some 100lb, but I will always use the lift with those, as I'm not comfortable lifting them since a back strain. Now, I'm not constantly on my feet, I do have to wait for the boxes to fill, but I would estimate that for an 8 hour shift, I am on my feet for at least 5, and at least 3 are moving boxes, or filling the machine.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Best of luck.

Factory job is I run machines assembling roller bearings for cars. I have to constantly fill the machine with shells, needles, and cages, as well as moving the finished boxes. Boxes range anywhere from 25lb to 75lb. There are some 100lb, but I will always use the lift with those, as I'm not comfortable lifting them since a back strain. Now, I'm not constantly on my feet, I do have to wait for the boxes to fill, but I would estimate that for an 8 hour shift, I am on my feet for at least 5, and at least 3 are moving boxes, or filling the machine.

While your job is not super active, it involves more movement than most jobs in the US, which is good. I would suggest concentrating on your diet as for weight loss, doing well in school and getting enough sleep. If you can swing some extra exercise, great but probably a bit further down the list right now. If you exercise I would try and get some weight work in to maintain muscle, Stronglifts or a similar program that emphasizes compound movements will give you the best bang for your buck.
  • DarthScabrous
    Options

Best of luck.

While your job is not super active, it involves more movement than most jobs in the US, which is good. I would suggest concentrating on your diet as for weight loss, doing well in school and getting enough sleep. If you can swing some extra exercise, great but probably a bit further down the list right now. If you exercise I would try and get some weight work in to maintain muscle, Stronglifts or a similar program that emphasizes compound movements will give you the best bang for your buck.

Yeah, I was gonna go back onto the Stronglift 5x5. Would work out pretty well. I use to be pretty built. I still am strong obviously from lifting all the weight I have, plus work. But it would be great to get back to my high school numbers.