Question about Peanut Butter

Options
2aycocks
2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
I LOVE peanut butter, the creamy kind. I love it on apples as a snack. But as I was looking at the calories in both regular and reduced fat peanut butter, the calorie content is the same! This is a food I hate to give up. When I looked at the calories/fat in Almond butter, it was even higher in calories and fat!

Is there anything else I can eat in the place of peanut butter? some kind of creamy nut spread? Or are they all about the same. I really don't want to give up this ONE food, especially since I've given up sugar and many other things at this point. But my weight is at a stand still. I have lost 11 pounds and have 39 more to go.

I'm trying really hard to stay within my calorie range which falls between 1350 - 1450, depending on how much I burn off that day. Any lower than that and I'm starving! I'm also doing as much exercise as I can tolerate with having rheumatoid arthritis. I'm trying to eat really well. But I am really struggling to stay within that calorie range.

Any help would be appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Have you tried nutella?
  • nina8611
    nina8611 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Have you tried PB2- powdered pb? I love the chocolate flavor-you can find it at Walmart! 45 cal-very low fat & carbs-great on just about anything!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    low fat peanut butter
  • GenieBB
    GenieBB Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Try P2B its a peanutbutter substitute thats powdered real peanutbutter they sucked the fat out of, can get it at healthier food stores like Wholefoods or Vitamin Shoppe I think had it by the protien powders, or on Amazon.
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    I personally find peanut butter too sugary nowadays, but if you really like it then maybe you can find a way to make it stay within your diet. There really is no substitute for PB. Back when I was really into it, I probably tried a dozen different alternatives and NOTHING could compare. Even if someone swears that something tastes "just like peanut butter," they're probably lying or have pushed themselves so far down the rabbit hole that they don't remember what real peanut butter tastes like anymore. It'd really be better to just find a way to make it fit if you can. Best of luck!

P.S. - Nutella is worse. I don't know why anyone would suggest that.
  • NadirToZenith
    NadirToZenith Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Try P2B its a peanutbutter substitute thats powdered real peanutbutter they sucked the fat out of, can get it at healthier food stores like Wholefoods or Vitamin Shoppe I think had it by the protien powders, or on Amazon.

Yes! I bought mine from amazon. I love to mix it into my oatbran when it's not 2 million degrees out... I've never actually reconstituted it because I'm not a huge PB eater. Mostly use it as stated above (on the recommendation of a nutritionist)
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Why are you giving it up? It's got protein and good fat....and tastes delicious! I had peanut butter this morning :). I buy the Smuckers Natural.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    low fat peanut butter

Low fat PB usually just adds sugar to make it taste good and the total calorie content is the same, just different macro make up
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Don't give it up. As the poster above me pointed out, lots of protein and good fat. Opt for an all-natural peanut butter, with two ingredients at most. I buy the Costco/Kirkland brand, and all it is is peanuts and sea salt. Delicious!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    low fat peanut butter

eating low fat peanut butter defeats the purpose.

you eat nuts for their fats. to help you reach your fat macro (which is a minimum).

the low fat stuff is left-over from the 80's when people mistakenly thought that dietary fat made you fat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I LOVE peanut butter, the creamy kind. I love it on apples as a snack. But as I was looking at the calories in both regular and reduced fat peanut butter, the calorie content is the same! This is a food I hate to give up. When I looked at the calories/fat in Almond butter, it was even higher in calories and fat!

Is there anything else I can eat in the place of peanut butter? some kind of creamy nut spread? Or are they all about the same. I really don't want to give up this ONE food, especially since I've given up sugar and many other things at this point. But my weight is at a stand still. I have lost 11 pounds and have 39 more to go.

I'm trying really hard to stay within my calorie range which falls between 1350 - 1450, depending on how much I burn off that day. Any lower than that and I'm starving! I'm also doing as much exercise as I can tolerate with having rheumatoid arthritis. I'm trying to eat really well. But I am really struggling to stay within that calorie range.

Any help would be appreciated. :smile:

I think you need to reassess your diet and be honest with yourself. For instance, you didn't give up sugar since you're eating apples
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I love PB too much, just make it fit into your calories that's all
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Use less of the real thing, I could never give it up either. I prefer Smuckers natural (200 cals for 2 Tablespoons). My mom loves Peter Pan whipped peanut butter, 150 cals for 2 tablespoons...it's good but I much prefer th real thing.
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I get the fresh ground PB at our local food co-op or at Whole Foods - can grind it yourself. No added sugar, no added salt. Just peanuts. I know the Whole Foods PB is in the food database, so check it out. It should have less carbs and possibly fewer calories too, thanks to nothing being added to the PB.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    I mix a little peanut butter into plain greek yogurt. You still get the PB flavor but it goes a lot farther as a dip.
  • bpmichael
    bpmichael Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love PB also. Just be careful w/ eating too much as calories add up quickly. I have been buying Jif To go cups. It is single serving 250 calorie snack. I used to eat out of jar and it is easy to eat a ton of calories by doing that. I am sure the to go cups are more expensive per serving but just easy to keep track of calories for me.
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Eat peanut butter!!! Just don't eat too much. I eat it every day for breakfast and sometimes in evening for snack. However I eat only 1 TB - enough for a whole grain english muffin or just a scoop to eat. Nothing wrong with it!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    The fats in organic peanut butter is good for you. But if you're having a hard time hitting your macros, PB2 might be the answer.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Why are you giving it up? It's got protein and good fat....and tastes delicious! I had peanut butter this morning :). I buy the Smuckers Natural.

Here, here... when combined with a whole grain bread, a PB sandwich makes a complete protein.
  • Roxanne_Hennessy
    Roxanne_Hennessy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Natural PB is pretty low about 100 calories per tablespoon, which is a lot. Or like someone else the to go cups