Lightheadedness all day after exercising?

Options
Hi! So basically a few days a week after doing any sort of exercise I get lightheaded for the rest of the day. Other days I am perfectly fine. I started tracking again to see if there was a difference in the days, because I thought maybe I just wasn't eating enough those days, but so far I don't see that issue. I do have ulcerative colitis, but again, I don't see a change in that on any of the days either.

For example, today I did the 30 day fitness app. (Doctor reccommendation to ease back into exercise after my long year of bed rest and other issues). It was literally like 2 minutes of exercise (I double checked with doc, he only wants me to do 1 a day so I feel so puny logging it). I drank water before, and have gone through 2 bottles of water in the 3 hours since. Ate breakfast before, and just had lunch. Still lightheaded to the point that I had to sit down to open water bottle because I was lightheaded from getting it from the fridge. I can't get in to see my doc until late January (unless I find a new one, hate my gi doc). Has anyone else ever had this issue?

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Well, not really but when you say you are "lightheaded" to you feel like you might faint or is it more of an off-balance feeling. There is a difference that makes a difference. The "off balance" type of thing is mostly caused by inner ear/sinus issues and/or changes in BP issues. The lightheadedness that might feel like you are going to faint is more of a metabolic issue that could be dehydration, blood chemistry disturbances/heart rate.

After 2 minutes of exercise, I'm not thinking you wore yourself out or dehydrated yourself, but many conditions such as chronic fatigue, lupus can flare with any sort of physical activity.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    This happens to me probably once every two weeks. Sometimes it will be from not having enough sugar/water but other times it is related to anxiety and stress. Either way, similar symptoms. I'll get lightheaded to the point of nausea and get the shakes. Definitely see a doctor about it if you are having it so often.
  • tofuligan
    tofuligan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When this happens to me, it's usually one of these culprits: dehydration, low-blood sugar, oncoming virus, or not eating enough healthy fats
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    are you eating enough? What is your calorie intake?
  • Breenacole
    Breenacole Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hey guys sorry I didn't reply sooner, I just now got the notifications -_-
    meritage4 wrote: »
    are you eating enough? What is your calorie intake?

I try to eat my calories, which are set at 1200 (and lately I've been going over) but since I started having my issues with Ulcerative Colitis, some days I find it hard to eat more than 700/800 calories because I just can't handle food. But I usually eat about 30 minutes before an exercise, because that usually seems to keep the lightheadedness away. (Just hasn't lately)

But I guess it could be stress, I have BAD anxiety and I haven't been tracking mood, I have an app for it, maybe I should try and see if there's a pattern there. I'm hoping to see my doc this week.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    If you can't eat 1200 calories, you might not want to exercise at this point. Or do something less strenuous. Maybe just walking or low-impact aerobics. Zumba for beginners is fun!
    Do get checked out by your doctor...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    On days you can't eat more than 1200 ditch the strenuous exercise. In fact you shouldn't push yourself too hard to exercise if you are in a uc flare.
  • Breenacole
    Options
    I forgot to specify lol. The exercise I do is like the easiest, dinky exercise I can do. I burn less than 50 calories each time and it's like 5 minute exercises the doc recommended. I'm hoping to see him or my other doc today to see what they think. Thank you all again! I'll let you know what they say.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Your doctor has given you instructions. Follow them.

If you are experiencing worsening symptoms see another doc while yours is unavailable or go to the ER if you think it's urgent.

Try not to compare your situation to other random people on the Internet.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'd think that it's caused from too low of calories. When I first started out mfp set my calories ridiculously low, around the 1200 mark. I lasted about a wk at that range as I was definitely feeling "off" and lightheaded.

Have you tried a supplemental drink or smoothie to help get your calories? I'd ask to see a nutritionist that can help you with your gi issues.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    eating 700-800 calories would not give your body the fuel you need to do nothing all day never mind trying to exercise....
  • Breenacole
    Options
    So the doc has taken me off all exercise! I couldn't get in to see my gi doc, but i saw my primary doc and she took blood, thinks my blood counts are low again (yay -_-) so there might be another blood transfusion in the future for me. I do see a nutritionist as well, and I have a list of foods I'm not allowed to eat but she doesn't really work with me on trying to figure out how to eat correctly with what I can eat. I've been looking for a new gi doc so probably will get a new nutritionist with that thankfully. So I guess it's back to just taking it easy again.