Bodyweight Fitness

TheOnlyLite
TheOnlyLite Posts: 6 Member
edited December 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been interested in doing Bodyweight fitness, but I have a feeling that it can only take me so far. I'm a 23 yr old male, 5'6, 145 lbs and not the fittest, but I do work in a kitchen so I get some sort of exercise.

Would I need to invest in equipment or a gym membership after a certain point? My goal is to slim down just a bit more and then work on muscle.

Edit: any routines for someone who hasn't worked out for a couple months?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    You can do very well with body weight..the key is to do more difficult variations of the exercises...look into something like Convict Conditioning or You are Your Own Gym.

Also tagging @rybo
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    I use You are your own Gym, and a TRX. Bodyweight, as said, can take you far. And don't forget, you can still supplemented with weights. It does not have to be one or the other.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    To get you started this (below) is a good beginners bodyweight workout. You may like to have a read of the site, it is quite informative.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Cheers, h.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You can do very well with body weight..the key is to do more difficult variations of the exercises...look into something like Convict Conditioning or You are Your Own Gym.

Also tagging @rybo
    Yes, the resources in this thread are all good. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't get far on bodyweight only. Gold medal bodies is another good resource not mentioned yet.
    While you don't need much, a pull up bar, trx or set of rings are nice to have and can increase versatility and give you more choices.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Few people push bodyweight training as far as it can go. If you are where you say you are, you can likely do bodyweight only for quite a while before you may want to go into something else. You may never reach that point.