Raw vegan lifestyle?

Options
2»

Replies

• ohthesorrow
    ohthesorrow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it's sustainable but it's perfectly fine for short spurts of time. I usually live a mostly raw lifestyle during the summer when fruit is in season and ridiculously cheap. But I also take a multivitamin year round so I don't have to worry about a lack of vitamins.

If you look into it a bit deeper, you'll find that you can be healthy on a fully raw diet but it's easier and more sustainable to incorporate cooked foods as well. Fully raw people tend to miss out on some of the easily consumed nutrients from cooked plant foods. I believe a general whole food based vegan diet is far better long term.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    https://youtu.be/GZN3HGiS4zw
    Dr Morse - Everything you need to know about food

I have recently started a raw plant based diet that consists of fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds myself. It surely isn't for everyone. Is it healthy thought? Surely is. I am keeping it simple right now but there is a lot of information out there and good recipes too! Like other people said, I wouldn't do this if it were just for weight loss. I have no trouble reaching my protein and I do not eat tofu or other soy based products (most soy is GM and it's products are super processed).
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I know it wouldn't be sustainable for me. I wonder how a person gets enough protein on a diet like this? Could you eat tofu or beans?

I believe you can eat a special type of tofu, but it's expensive, made from sprouted soybeans, and you can eat sprouted beans, like sprouted lentils and chickpeas.
  • dudebro200
    dudebro200 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    Read Richard Wrangham's "Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human."

Raw veganism isn't our natural state. Sure, you'er likely to lose weight, but that's because its nearly impossible for humans to get all the necessary nutrients for life and health from a raw vegan diet; it takes a *lot* of work (and expense) to do it "right' (meaning, you get MOST of the necessary nutrients). A significant percentage of women put on raw vegan diets for extended periods *lose* their periods, which is a sign your body is really, really unhappy with your food plan.

What is our natural state?

Paleolithic man ate bugs, poisionious roots, bone marrow, and even clay.

Dogs acquired, through their 1000s of years associating
    with humans, multiple genes that allowed them to tolerate complex carbs.

I don't think that is unreasonable to assume that neolithic humans acquired genes to enable them to process a diet rich grain-based carbs and little meat/veggies. Thus, making the neolithic diet a modern human's "natural state".

I would guess that many modern human's can't tolerate the American diet (highly processed food), which is the cause of childhood obesity and multiple other dietary deseases. However, that doesn't happen to all kids who are subjected to the American diet. There is probably a selection event , caused be highly processed food, that is happening right now before our eyes.

The genes that enabled westerners to eat dairy took over Europe in a very short time frame-- about a 1000 years. Sure things like universal healthcare will slow this process but it won't stop it. It all means that a "natural state" is what ever we're currently doing.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    A diet that incorporates moderate portions of everything is healthy. I think being a raw vegan is a good way to butcher your lean mass, which is your metabolic currency. I personally wouldn't but I have no issues with eating animals or animal products. If ethically you prefer to avoid animals and you're willing, why not? I think you will do so at the cost of your health though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Eating just raw fruits and vegetables? Probably not. But most raw vegans eat more than that -- sprouted grains, nuts, and seeds are also part of the diet. I think you can even spout lentils and eat them (but I'm not sure about that).

It's not for me and I do think it would be pretty easy to miss out on something you need without careful planning, but I think that it could work for some people.

Ya, it's wicked easy to sprout lentils. http://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/sprouting/how-to-sprout-lentils/ I like them in salads. They are edible overnight, although they will not have much of a sprout for a few days.

A few of my long-time ethical vegan friends went raw for a few months and found it impractical and undesirable once fall kicked in.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Eating just raw fruits and vegetables? Probably not. But most raw vegans eat more than that -- sprouted grains, nuts, and seeds are also part of the diet. I think you can even spout lentils and eat them (but I'm not sure about that).

It's not for me and I do think it would be pretty easy to miss out on something you need without careful planning, but I think that it could work for some people.

Ya, it's wicked easy to sprout lentils. http://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/sprouting/how-to-sprout-lentils/ I like them in salads. They are edible overnight, although they will not have much of a sprout for a few days.

A few of my long-time ethical vegan friends went raw for a few months and found it impractical and undesirable once fall kicked in.

My mom (who is also vegan) goes mostly raw in the summers, when produce is abundant and cheap. It's just the way she likes to eat. But for many people, it's just not practical for the whole year.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

My mom (who is also vegan) goes mostly raw in the summers, when produce is abundant and cheap. It's just the way she likes to eat. But for many people, it's just not practical for the whole year.

I froze my butt of going raw vegan in the winter for 3 months. It's very hard to keep your core temp up.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The people I know that did this had bad breath. I know of no proven health benefit of this way of eating over many other less restrictive ways of eating.

Proven health benefits include lowering cholesterol, heart disease, etc among others. Raw vegan food is not processed and of course has no animal proteins, which contribute to both health issues.

And for those of you saying God gave us meat, yes He did. But not until after the Flood. In the beginning of Genesis, God gave us only plants to eat, so it would make sense that our bodies tend to prefer a plant based diet. After the Flood, later in Genesis, God gave us the animals to consume most likely because vegetation was destroyed and humans needed to eat something-however that is an inference.

Not trying to get into a religious argument. Just playing devils advocate on the "God gave us meat" argument :smile:
  • Windrunner666
    Windrunner666 Posts: 91 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The people I know that did this had bad breath. I know of no proven health benefit of this way of eating over many other less restrictive ways of eating.

Proven health benefits include lowering cholesterol, heart disease, etc among others. Raw vegan food is not processed and of course has no animal proteins, which contribute to both health issues.

And for those of you saying God gave us meat, yes He did. But not until after the Flood. In the beginning of Genesis, God gave us only plants to eat, so it would make sense that our bodies tend to prefer a plant based diet. After the Flood, later in Genesis, God gave us the animals to consume most likely because vegetation was destroyed and humans needed to eat something-however that is an inference.

Not trying to get into a religious argument. Just playing devils advocate on the "God gave us meat" argument :smile:

Well raw food doesn't have more benefits than well-balanced vegan diet. Reasons for staying raw is nothing more than pseudoscience kittening that prevents majority of people being or staying vegan. Also it turns away most sane people off of veganism in general.
    And some people gain weight on mostly Raw regime, so it's not benefical for weightloss either.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    What is your opinion on a raw vegan lifestyle? Is it healthy eating nothing but raw fruits and vegetables?

No...vegetables and fruit are good for you, but there is far more to a proper diet. Dietary fat and protein are essential. Also, there are some vegetables in particular where the cooking process actually allows for more nutritional value. Not to mention, many nutritional powerhouses cannot be eaten raw like beans and lentils...potatoes, etc.

Vegan is one thing...but healthy and knowledgeable vegans eat far more than just veg and fruit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-katz-md/raw-food-diet_b_2015598.html

Good article, thanks for posting.

@lemurcat12 I know you're a David Katz fan so wanted to make sure you saw this.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's that sustainable. You must eat very large quantities of food, it's expensive and unless you know your nutritional stuff risk deficiency Long term. ( if you eat this wAy exclusively for many years) as I've heard of people reverting to eating vegetarian after 20 or 10 years of eating this way bc they encountered health issues due to certain deficiency and dental issues. I think it is better to occasionally eat this way incorporated in a balanced vegan or vegetarian diet
  • Windrunner666
    Windrunner666 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's that sustainable. You must eat very large quantities of food, it's expensive and unless you know your nutritional stuff risk deficiency Long term. ( if you eat this wAy exclusively for many years) as I've heard of people reverting to eating vegetarian after 20 or 10 years of eating this way bc they encountered health issues due to certain deficiency and dental issues. I think it is better to occasionally eat this way incorporated in a balanced vegan or vegetarian diet

Agreed. There is absolutely no scientific basis that Raw is more beneficial than well balanced vegan or vegetarian diet.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If the vegetation was destroyed, what were the animals eating? Did animals like cows temporarily become carnivores?