Good protein drink mix for novice lifter?

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to being a gym rat and am looking into getting some kind of post-workout protein drink. A little bit about my current regimine and fitness goals:

-5'10" 139lbs
- Not concerned with losing weight; more focused on body recomposition (burn fat and build lean muscle)
- Cardio 2-3x/week, in the form of the rowing machine (plan to join a rowing association this spring)
- Weights 2-3x/week (bi's/back, chest/tri's, shoulders/legs)
- Restorative yoga 1x/week
- 1 rest day

I've done a bit of research in regards to the ideal amount of protein to ingest after a workout, and so far it seems there isn't much difference between 20g vs. 40g. So, here's my question -- what would be an economical protein shake that meets a beginner-level weightlifting routine? Are GNC products satisifactory or are they crap? I'm also not looking to spend a ton of money, as I have priorities and I can easily come home and make some eggs and get protein that way. :) Also, recommendations on flavors are welcome as well as what you mix them with (milk vs water). I cannot do chocolate dude to a condition with my kidneys, although it's usually always my favorite. :)

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions you may have!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Protein supplements aren't mandatory if you get enough in diet. How much are you aiming to get per day (in grams)?

Like you said, you could go home and eat eggs which is what I generally do. Two hard boiled eggs as a post workout snack would be good.

That said, I believe the powder from Optimum Nutrition is good but this is only going from word of mouth and not one I have used personally.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    I like Body Fortress vanilla whey protein powder blended with almond milk and half a banana (or a whole banana if it's a small one). I drink half right before and half right after lifting. I've had it a million times and it still sounds good... I'm over here salivating and somewhat wishing it were morning, time to lift!
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    You don't really need a post workout shake, but if you want to take one Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard is the best tasting shake you will get at the best value.