When does the hunger lessen from lower cals?

Options
So I'm trying to eat smaller meals more frequently to see if it helps quell the desire to eat more at night and/or wakeup after an hour or two super hungry and unable to sleep. How long did it take for you to get used to less calories, smaller portions?

Replies

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It doesn't necessarily. You need to flesh out the ideas in your original post so people know what exactly it is you're talking about.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I got used to being a little hungry at the end of the day.. With a bunch of protein and fat it is much much more bearable.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Increasing my intake of both protein and fiber helped to keep me feeling fuller for longer. I'm typically a late night snacker and I found that eating dinner later at night also helped. With all that said, what really worked for me was increasing the amount of exercise I do during the week, which allowed me to increase my daily calories while still maintaining a calorie deficit.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I am going from an intermittent fasting style of eating mostly 3 ish meals of late lunch, snack and dinner to 6 meals and it is a big adjustment. Wondering if my stomach will get used to the smaller portions and be more content over time and "shrink" a little. I'm used to eating large portions.
    It doesn't necessarily. You need to flesh out the ideas in your original post so people know what exactly it is you're talking about.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    I have trouble keeping my calories in control. trainer recommended it so I'm trying it.
    I am going from an intermittent fasting style of eating mostly 3 ish meals of late lunch, snack and dinner to 6 meals and it is a big adjustment. Wondering if my stomach will get used to the smaller portions and be more content over time and "shrink" a little. I'm used to eating large portions.

Why are you switching?

I am not satisfied on mini-meals; I do better with two or three meals plus a snack.

• charlenekapf
    Options
    Yes, i'm working out with my HR varying between 140-180 for about an hour 5-6 days a week.
    Increasing my intake of both protein and fiber helped to keep me feeling fuller for longer. I'm typically a late night snacker and I found that eating dinner later at night also helped. With all that said, what really worked for me was increasing the amount of exercise I do during the week, which allowed me to increase my daily calories while still maintaining a calorie deficit.

• joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    I think for everyone it's different but for me, it's 2 weeks. I've lowered my calories twice in my life and IT IS HARD. I found after 2 weeks I'm used to it. If it helps, take your hunger minute by minute, which will turn into an hour, etc. Do not starve yourself though! I totally agree with the fiber and protein suggestion. Also, your body will find its "happy" place of where it is satisfied with what and when you eat. Just gotta stick with it.
    Good luck.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,431 Member
    Options
    What helps me is being busy for about 3 hours in the afternoon. I also save calories to eat after dinner. When I have more of an appitite, I eat 1/2 C oatmeal (raw measure) at night with Tbl of jam or fruit. really fills me up. You have to find foods that fill you up
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    LOL :/
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    NEVER.

• charlenekapf
    Options
    I just had oats with some protein powder and almonds. Feel better now. I agree...a lot more filling than a slice of whole grain bread.
    Evamutt wrote: »
    What helps me is being busy for about 3 hours in the afternoon. I also save calories to eat after dinner. When I have more of an appitite, I eat 1/2 C oatmeal (raw measure) at night with Tbl of jam or fruit. really fills me up. You have to find foods that fill you up
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel your pain. I can't sleep if im even a little hungry.

For me it was mostly about meal timing. I eat less early in the day and more later in the day. Just shuffled the calories around and I found that quite helpful.
    I split my traditional supper in half, and ate the second half of it an hour before bed. Also reduced the size of my breakfast and early morning snack so that only 25% of my calories are before noon.
    Most people have their own little tricks. See what works for you.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend shifting one of your small meals to be a bedtime snack. The whole eating before sleep thing is a myth, there's nothing wrong with reserving one of your meals to be late in the day to quell the night time snack urge
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I agree. I think having smaller breakfast and earlier meals is going to help. I wasn't having anything before 2pm before so seeing if this helps to allow me to eat more substantial evening meals, while getting some nutrients in earlier.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I find if I want to lose weight I just have to get used to being hungry 100% of the time. We're so used to not being uncomfortable it's very difficult to accept being hungry but just gotta get out of that comfort zone and do it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    What are your stats and current intake? Do you eat back any of your exercise calories (assuming you're using the MFP method)?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    PS. I have never been so hungry that it's woken me up. This usually indicates a massive sudden calorie drop or just cutting too hard for your activity level.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I agree. I think having smaller breakfast and earlier meals is going to help. I wasn't having anything before 2pm before so seeing if this helps to allow me to eat more substantial evening meals, while getting some nutrients in earlier.

When you mentioned you had trouble with calorie control, was intermittent fasting making you eat more calories?
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Hard to say. I believe i just fell into some bad habits with it. I just got used to only being satisfied with eating a lot of food at once. And when I broke my fast early I would say "screw it" and binge. I kept getting told by a lot of people that the reason I get so hungry at night is because I skip breakfast but I'm not entirely sure that is accurate. Thinking what I need is a medium between the IF I was doing, and the meal plan i'm trying to follow. These tiny portions are just making me count down until my next meal but I'm getting hungry after an hour.
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

When you mentioned you had trouble with calorie control, was intermittent fasting making you eat more calories?