I see people buring over 1000 cals at the gym

Options
1235»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    d_waters wrote: »
    I burn 1500 in 24 hours just living and breathing:) doing a wod at the box gives me a nice 300 call burn

Doing a what at the what?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    DEBOO7 wrote: »
    Isn't it more about the quality of the work out? Personally I see little point in spending 2-3 hours working out every day unless you are a finely tuned athlete!

I'm far from a finely tuned athlete, snort! But i spend 2-3 hours walking most days, I'm very fortunate to have the time to do it. Plus it's the only exercise that i actually enjoy doing, which helps a lot.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Nobody burns over 1000 calories at the gym. I used to be ultra fit. I taught boxing too. When you are extremely fit, your body can do extremely challenging exercise with great economy and without raising your pulse as highly as a big fat guy like me walking to the corner shop. I will be more tired by walking a half a mile than Mo Farah running quicker than most hobby cyclists for a few thousand meters. So the paradox is, if you're fit enough to burn 1000 calories in a gym, you most probably won't. Maybe a triathlon or marathon, but not in the gym.

This is misrepresenting the whole efficiency effect. Yes, you get more efficient, but walking say 2 miles will burn pretty much the same amount of calories for both fit and unfit individuals whose stats are otherwise the same. To take your example, if you adjusted for the differences in weight between you and Mo Farah, you would find that the walk for a half mile burned very similar amounts of calories because the work needed to do it is the same. The difference it Mo is far more fit than you are so he would be less tired. There is some reduction in burn with increased efficiency, but not as much as you see to think. This is even more true with cycling. Put a power meter on a bike and you have a very accurate number of calories burned, and again, the change with increased efficiency won't change that, what does change is how far a person travels since they say, are not wandering all over the road.

Putting a power meter on my bike did more to change my understanding of cycling and exercise than anything else I've ever done. Maybe more than everything else I've done.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,206 Member
    Options
    Nobody burns over 1000 calories at the gym. I used to be ultra fit. I taught boxing too. When you are extremely fit, your body can do extremely challenging exercise with great economy and without raising your pulse as highly as a big fat guy like me walking to the corner shop. I will be more tired by walking a half a mile than Mo Farah running quicker than most hobby cyclists for a few thousand meters. So the paradox is, if you're fit enough to burn 1000 calories in a gym, you most probably won't. Maybe a triathlon or marathon, but not in the gym.

This is misrepresenting the whole efficiency effect. Yes, you get more efficient, but walking say 2 miles will burn pretty much the same amount of calories for both fit and unfit individuals whose stats are otherwise the same. To take your example, if you adjusted for the differences in weight between you and Mo Farah, you would find that the walk for a half mile burned very similar amounts of calories because the work needed to do it is the same. The difference it Mo is far more fit than you are so he would be less tired. There is some reduction in burn with increased efficiency, but not as much as you see to think. This is even more true with cycling. Put a power meter on a bike and you have a very accurate number of calories burned, and again, the change with increased efficiency won't change that, what does change is how far a person travels since they say, are not wandering all over the road.

Putting a power meter on my bike did more to change my understanding of cycling and exercise than anything else I've ever done. Maybe more than everything else I've done.

I wish either I could justify the cost, or that the prices would come down some more.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Isn't it more about the quality of the work out? Personally I see little point in spending 2-3 hours working out every day unless you are a finely tuned athlete!

Think of an activity you like doing. Would you spend 2-3 hours on it everyday?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Watching telly.... oh yes!!!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Watching telly.... oh yes!!!

I laughed a little too hard at this :laugh:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

And of course you spent the 2 grand :)
  • Supawilkins
    Supawilkins Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You have to speed your intensity up and lift heavier weights. When I say heavier weights I mean if you are squatting 105 pounds for sets of 10 try squatting 135 for 8-10 reps and find a spotter. Utilize body weight movements such as box jumps, pushups, mountain climbers or ropes to push the body into fatigue. When your body is fatigued and you are able to keep pushing this means you are shocking the body which equals to more calories burnt. Remember keep your workouts simple but try and do a circuit the whole time. The less breaks the better.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ....you are shocking the body which equals to more calories burnt

Oh? Care to provide some sources on how to burn 1000 calories doing that?
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The people who are burning 1000+ calories are either overestimating their output or there for 2-3 hours
    This. The only time I've burned that much is half marathons

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    You think 333 kCal per hour is so outrageous it has to be a mistake?
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    The people who are burning 1000+ calories are either overestimating their output or there for 2-3 hours

I burn 1500 calories, ( using polar) in a 90min.
  • chgonzalez1978
    chgonzalez1978 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Its possible. When I do a long run (8 to 10 miles) I can burn over 1000 calories. Or....I a regular run of about 5 miles plus circuit training for about 30 to 45 minutes I burn about 1000 calories.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    This. The only time I've burned that much is half marathons

Or they're just larger people.

Shrimpy little (118 lb) me burns about 600 calories an hour on my long runs (at somewhere between about 6.7 - 7.2 miles per hour right now) so I also have to run over 10 miles to burn that much. But someone lots taller and heavier than me will burn considerably more doing the same activity, and there are plenty of 180 lb guys running, so it doesn't seem too farfetched to me in that respect. I've seen plenty of indication on this thread that lots of heavier people who do relatively intense cardio have way bigger burns than I do.

I have to remind myself often that I'm shorter and lighter than average, female, and not heavily muscled, so I'm not going to burn as much (or be able to eat as much) as the large, fit men I know. I run over 30 miles per week, bike commute in good weather, and walk a lot and I still maintain my weight around only 2000 calories a day despite an active lifestyle just because the smaller you are, the fewer calories your body requires at work or at rest.

The reverse is my pet peeve around here too - big guys who make comments like "you should be able to fit an entire pizza in your daily intake no problem as long as you work out!" or "you just need to work out more, my maintenance is 3500/day!" or whatever to petite women or comment that cutting on 1200-1500/day is absolute madness (when for many smaller, shorter people it's a pretty conservative, less than a pound per week deficit.)
  • kentkoester
    kentkoester Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The only way I ever hit 1,000+ calories burnt exercising was by commuting to work (21 mile round trip), running a half marathon, or a Tough Mudder race.
    1,000 calories is a LOT of exercise for 1 sitting and would involve a decent chunk of time.

If you REALLY want to do that I would recommend a stationary bike while Netflix binging.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm a 118-119 pound woman. It is getting harder and harder for me to get 1000 calorie workout days. I basically have to do about the hardest Insanity DVD I can and follow that up with 60+ minutes of kettlebell/plyometrics intervals. (And yes I eat back the calories and am doing OK in maintenance so far.) It is not worth it for me to do this very often. I save it for Friday afternoons when I am leaving work early anyway and wanting to eat at a restaurant for dinner and not limit myself to salad.