Water Flavor Enhancers- Yay or Nay?

Options
2»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm not personally concerned with artificial sweetener use in moderation given the safety limits are astoundingly high.

Just pay attention to appetite and if you experience greater hunger or cravings while using them vs while not using them (whether this is real or perceived) then you can always use this as part of your decision.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I drink them and soda and manage to lose :3
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Yes, if juice is what I want but don't want to spend the calories. If I'm thirsty, water is the only thing that does it for me. I use kool aid and add a sweetener in the summer. 1 gram of kool aid and 3 packets of sweetener for my large cup. No health issues or effect on my weight loss in my case.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    verdict is out. some recent studies show that the three leading artificial sweeteners on the market can promote the culture of certain types of gut bacteria that in turn raise fasting glucose levels oddly enough. when given a potent round of antibiotics these mice lost the effect with the death of these bacteria and when fecal transplants were performed with a control group (artificial sweetener gut bacteria transferred) those mice also exhibited the deleterious effect on their blood sugar levels. All 3 major artificial sweeteners were tested and have the same effect on promoting this gut bacteria in both mice and humans. What these studies are showing are that certain forms of intestinal bacteria can metabolize these artificial sweeteners and in response can outperform otherwise normal gut cultures when they become part of a daily diet. The metabolism of these artificial sweeteners then has the effect of raising blood sugar levels and promoting insulin insensitivity by unknown mechanism as a baseline and creating a Type II diabetes type model! I drink one to two diet sodas a day and put splenda in my coffee and fortunately don't have any issues with my blood sugar levels that I have noticed. I occasionally check my blood sugar as I'm curious to see how various meals and activities impact it. I also eat small amounts of normal sugar in a given day. For example 1tbs in my crepes this morning.

My hunch is that like everything, in moderation all things are OK!

On a side note a group of researchers in Japan discovered the emergence of a new bacterium that was capable of breaking down plastic! So this stuff may not be in our landfills for as long as we once thought. In biology, if there's a niche to exploit...it gets exploited!

I'd like to know how that would work, seeing how aspartame gets broken down pretty much as soon as it hits your digestive system.