Fatty liver

Options
tmbg1
tmbg1 Posts: 1,283 Member
I was wondering if anyone knows if fatty liver is reversible through diet and exercise, and if so how?

Replies

• WalkingDeadFrank
    WalkingDeadFrank Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Best to ask your doctor what you should do in your specific situation. Nobody here knows what medical issues you might have, your health history, etc.

I do know that I had fatty liver that went away when I lost weight. But seriously, talk to the doctor who diagnosed you.

Agreed...contact your doctor.

That being said, fatty liver is a reversible condition that can be resolved with changed behaviors.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I've got a Dr appt in February but I'm going to try to reverse it as much as possible before then... Gonna give up alcohol and reduce white flour and carbs.... Just looking for other ideas to help
  • nurees
    nurees Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was told lower/good fats, nothing white, no alcohol, citrus and berries for fruits and non starchy vegetables. The doctor said to be sure the weight loss is slow. If you lose too fast you increase the possibility of scarring.
  • kzzr
    kzzr Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My experience may not be the same as yours, but I stopped eating dairy (I had a very high milk intake), stopped drinking Coke and alcohol, increased healthy foods and introduced structured exercise. Once I lost between 5-10kg my symptoms were gone, after I lost 45kg, no more fatty liver. Good luck.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I cold turkey alcohol for 4 months once I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease in july. fast forward 5 months and down 50 pounds and it reversed. I understand that may not always be the case. I didn't limit my carbs or anything. just stayed in a slight caloric deficit and exercised. I since reintroduced beer Into my diet but I limit myself to 4 total per month and it counts at my calories. 2 every other Saturday basically which is well under the recommendations but just my personal plan.. Things will never be the same with me and beer, which is fine, but this really scared the hell out of me as the next step of liver disease is not reversable. Cirrhosis I think. This diagnosis was my moment that changed everything. good luck.
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Contact your doctor but from personal experience, yes. I had a fatty liver naturally from my weight + family history but now that I've shed a fair bit its pretty fine. No concerns for the doctors in that its looking good but I always need to be mindful. I did not cut anything out, just kept under a defecit while losing and some exercise.

But again I stress, always check with your doctor regarding it.
  • 62apples
    62apples Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    fatty liver remedies that work.
    first: you get rid of fatty liver with tamarind. you can buy it fresh in Asian and Latino stores. It is a sweet-sour fruit that comes in pods. If you cannot get fresh then you can get it in jars as a fruit paste. Eat two or more every breakfast.
    second: take milk thistle. gaia brand is probably the best as it is a liquid in a capsule.
    third: stop eating junk food and fast food.
    I get my remedies from ThatHealsThat.com