Options
13»

Replies

• msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    Fasting helps me. I eat a lot of salad and steamed vegetables, and that ends up causing problems for me unfortunately. When I fast, I drink a ton of water, take a supliment, and give my body a break from constantly digesting food. Fasting has changed my health entirely.

Did you actually read the OP's post? It's about constipation. Are you saying fasting helps with your constipation?

Did you read mine? Her subject asked about fasting. Her post talked about constepation. I responded with 1. what happens to me in regards to fasting, and 2.how I handle constepation personally because of the highly dense fiberous food I eat that gets me that way.

Do not need your permission to tell her what I do to treat my similar issue. And how fasting has improved my health.

ETA- OP, you asked two questions, which are completely different. So it's difficult to answer them both. Fasting is fine and healthy even. But it is not used to treat constepation. If you have other health concerns, fasting has many health benefits it may be appropriate for, but constepation is not one of them. But because you combined the two questions, I let you know what I do when I have your issue and I'm fasting. But it is already my lifestyle, and not something I'm using to treat your singular issue.

So your two questions posed at once really don't work well in a single comment as you see.

The OP didn't ask two questions. The OP asked if Fasting will help with constipation.

They didn't ask if Fasting is good, and then ask for help with constipation. So your first post is probably very confusing since you originally said fasting helps you.

Yes she did. Her first question, in the subject line, is asking if a 3 day fast was safe. The body of the post was about constepation. Just like I explained in my other post.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Fasting helps me. I eat a lot of salad and steamed vegetables, and that ends up causing problems for me unfortunately. When I fast, I drink a ton of water, take a supliment, and give my body a break from constantly digesting food. Fasting has changed my health entirely.

Did you actually read the OP's post? It's about constipation. Are you saying fasting helps with your constipation?

Did you read mine? Her subject asked about fasting. Her post talked about constepation. I responded with 1. what happens to me in regards to fasting, and 2.how I handle constepation personally because of the highly dense fiberous food I eat that gets me that way.

Do not need your permission to tell her what I do to treat my similar issue. And how fasting has improved my health.

ETA- OP, you asked two questions, which are completely different. So it's difficult to answer them both. Fasting is fine and healthy even. But it is not used to treat constepation. If you have other health concerns, fasting has many health benefits it may be appropriate for, but constepation is not one of them. But because you combined the two questions, I let you know what I do when I have your issue and I'm fasting. But it is already my lifestyle, and not something I'm using to treat your singular issue.

So your two questions posed at once really don't work well in a single comment as you see.

The OP didn't ask two questions. The OP asked if Fasting will help with constipation.

They didn't ask if Fasting is good, and then ask for help with constipation. So your first post is probably very confusing since you originally said fasting helps you.

Yes she did. Her first question, in the subject line, is asking if a 3 day fast was safe. The body of the post was about constepation. Just like I explained in my other post.

It is clear from the original post that the OP was wondering if fasting will fix their constipation. Their whole post was in the context of constipation, the subject header was short and if read in the entire context of the post is in relation to constipation.

The OP is quoted below.
    I'm very constipated and haven't gone in over a week :( I'm wondering if fasting for a few days or so will fix this issue since there will be no other incoming food to digest.

Regardless of all that (and my last post in this thread), hopefully the OP successfully resolved their issue by now.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

It is clear from the original post that the OP was wondering if fasting will fix their constipation. Their whole post was in the context of constipation, the subject header was short and if read in the entire context of the post is in relation to constipation.

The OP is quoted below.
    I'm very constipated and haven't gone in over a week :( I'm wondering if fasting for a few days or so will fix this issue since there will be no other incoming food to digest.

Regardless of all that (and my last post in this thread), hopefully the OP successfully resolved their issue by now.

Got it, and had already added the ETA in that post you quoted with my corrected response. So, no explanation necessary. And I agree, she is the person of interest here, and hope she's feeling better!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Why do you think your body needs a break from digesting food.... That's what it's designed to do. Does your heart need a break from beating?

You are really comparing our hearts beating to our bodies digesting food? You clearly don't know the research on how or why fasting is beneficial, or the increase in cellular development when one is fasting due to not having to work so hard to constantly digest food. So, I won't waste my time.

Um OK. Links please as my GI doctor who is an expert in all things digestion doesn't believe we ever need to take a break from digesting unless medically necessary (IE a severe gi disease flare)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm very constipated and haven't gone in over a week :( I'm wondering if fasting for a few days or so will fix this issue since there will be no other incoming food to digest. If I just fast and keep drinking water, will it all eventually have no choice but to come out? Please don't suggest an enema. I've tried them but they only work a little bit. I need to be fully cleaned out. My stomach hurts :(

@Relaxingmind Have you pooped yet?
  • fiveminutes
    fiveminutes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you've been relieved of your situation, but I'll give you my TMI experience I had with constipation. When I had arthroscopic knee surgery three years ago, I was given a morphine, which is a good to give you constipation unfortunately, along with lots of Zofran (more constipation inducing medicine) to combat my nausea and vomiting I get from anesthesia (never helps anyways :neutral: ) and no matter how much water I drank, I could not go. I was to your point, in lots of stomach pain because I couldn't go. I had tried laxatives and even tried magnesium citrate. My stomach and GI was very aggravated because all the medicine was in there to help me go and it wasn't working. I could feel the BM, but it wouldn't come out. It turns out I was compacted due to the medicine with extremely hard stool at the bottom of my GI tract. Thankfully because it was so close to exiting, I was able to take some gloves and uh....dig it out. It was not the best experience :blush: but once that compaction was removed, it was like a waterfall lol. All the stool behind the compaction was soft, due to the constipation meds I took to hopefully get things moving. I wouldn't recommend "de-compacting" yourself, but I was in pain, I could barely walk to the restroom due to the knee surgery and pain from the constipation and didn't think I could wait for someone to drive me to urgent care or the ER. If you're still having issues, I think you might be compacted and you might need to make a trip to urgent care or your GP.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OP...take miralax. You never opened your food diary, so it's hard to see where the problem lies (eg, too little fat, too large of a deficit, not enough fiber, not enough liquids). Fasting can make constipation worse...

Have you been diagnosed with IBS?

Is the high fiber diet new? Did you wean into the high fiber?
    How high is your fiber?
    What about your fats? How many grams are you consuming daily?

Abdominal massage, applying a heat pad to the abdomen really helps me when I am constipated.

daniip_la wrote: »

Why do you think your body needs a break from digesting food.... That's what it's designed to do. Does your heart need a break from beating?

Our hearts get a break at night, when we sleep, right? Since our metabolisms shut down while we're sleeping (which causes us to gain weight when we eat right before bed), our hearts must be taking a break.
    :laugh: I like you.
    And for some, even the brain takes a holiday! ;)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    OP...take miralax. You never opened your food diary, so it's hard to see where the problem lies (eg, too little fat, too large of a deficit, not enough fiber, not enough liquids). Fasting can make constipation worse...

daniip_la wrote: »

Our hearts get a break at night, when we sleep, right? Since our metabolisms shut down while we're sleeping (which causes us to gain weight when we eat right before bed), our hearts must be taking a break.
    :laugh: I like you.
    And for some, even the brain takes a holiday! ;)

Mine certainly has been taking more frequent breaks.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I'm very constipated and haven't gone in over a week :( I'm wondering if fasting for a few days or so will fix this issue since there will be no other incoming food to digest. If I just fast and keep drinking water, will it all eventually have no choice but to come out? Please don't suggest an enema. I've tried them but they only work a little bit. I need to be fully cleaned out. My stomach hurts :(

@Relaxingmind Have you pooped yet?

I sure hope OP is okay! It must be very uncomfortable.
    :(
  • Relaxingmind
    Relaxingmind Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm back everyone. Update: miralax did not help as neither did prune juice and laxatives. BUT... something that did work (which I plan to stick to) is warm water with lemon. I drink it after waking up, before meals, and before bed.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm back everyone. Update: miralax did not help as neither did prune juice and laxatives. BUT... something that did work (which I plan to stick to) is warm water with lemon. I drink it after waking up, before meals, and before bed.

That"s great!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you have found relief!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor and drink a lot of water. Eat some vegetables. Fasting that long merely sets you up for binging on foods that might actually cause constipation instead of the vegetables you need