5x5 strong lifts app opinion

Options
deup
deup Posts: 129 Member
K so I started a 5x5 strong lifts using the app. Free version. I noticed the payed version has addition workouts and a few other options. I am wondering if anyone has this app and the extended version of it for 10$ is the worth it?

Replies

• CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Short answer, no!
    It gives you the ability to do the plate maths for you, also to add extra workouts.
    I like doing the maths, gives my aging brain a small challenge and I don't do any extra workouts.
    I'm sure there are other benefits too, it's all on the website.

But, I bought the paid for version really to support Mendhi (might have misspelled that) as I believe in what he does and I really like the app.
    Maybe the extras will come into their own in time, but for me personally, it doesn't do anything useful that the free one doesn't do. Except for the satisfaction of supporting the developers which was enough for me in terms of what I get out of it.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I use the free version, but I'm really stingy and hate paying for apps
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    The paid version lets you change the rep range from 5x5 to 3x5, 3x3, etc and adds accessories if you set it up. I mean, I got it eventually but I worked with the free one for about three months before I switched.

Is it worth it? I guess that's a matter of personal opinion. Plate math is convenient but I think that's not a must have (I thought it was in the free app too?) but for my own self, I liked being able to switch to the other rep schemes. When I had to deload twice, the app suggested going down to 3x5 but it didn't let me change the rep scheme to accommodate the suggestion on the free version and kept thinking I was still failing which bugged me.
  • jollyreddgiant
    jollyreddgiant Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I bought the paid version 3 years ago on my android and then again on my iPhone. I also upgraded my wife's to the paid version. I really like adding the accessory workouts as well as being able to de-load and change to a different rep count. It's almost like going to Mark Riptoe's 5/3/1 all while using the same app to track your progress.

Also, it syncs with Apple health and then with MyFitnessPal when you are trying to track your calories. Weight lifting has always been a struggle to find out how many calories you burn...

Plus what these guys said about supporting Medhi.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I thought the $10 on the paid version was money well spent. I added accessory lifts, and I like the plate math, especially when I'm tired.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Also think it's money well spent as it's a one time charge as opposed to monthly/yearly like MFP premium.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Took the "leap" and got the paid version. What's the worst that could happen? I've spent $10 on lesser causes. I'll let you all know how it works out after a few sessions.
  • solaceisburning
    solaceisburning Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What are the accessory workouts that it suggests you add?
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I bought the paid version after a coupe months. I like it. Well worth it IMHO.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    What are the accessory workouts that it suggests you add?

Skullcrushers, dips, chin ups...that's what I can remember at the top of my head.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'd love to get the paid version simply for the warm up section and plate math.